Coral Princess Panama Canal Review with Photos

h20skibum

Thanks to the original poster and everyone on this thread. We are taking this cruise at the end of October. I do have one question though. I know I have seen it before on this or other threads but I can't find it. How do you get to the good viewing area at the front of the ship? I recall seeing something about 'special' doors but now I can't find it.

Forward areas were closed on our cruise. The best forward viewing is either deck 15 or 16. You also had good views of the sides from deck 7.

This is the crowd on deck 16 around 6:00 a.m. Waiting to approach the canal locks.14181470623_1a4bda2d6f_c_d.jpg

Deck 15 forward also had a crowd gathering then.

14158599172_f05f9d8092_c_d.jpg

There was space between the glass panels for your camera lens. Some people may say to go to the Horizon Court, but photos through the glass would not be the best.

We are trying to decide about the tour that goes through the locks. Is there food and drink provided on board? And how are the bathrooms? I have read that some thought the tour was boring but I can't imagine that to be the case. Is this the one to do in your opinion. Great pictures.

We are trying to decide about the tour that goes through the locks. Is there food and drink provided on board? And how are the bathrooms? I have read that some thought the tour was boring but I can't imagine that to be the case. Is this the one to do in your opinion. Great pictures.

If it is your first trip to the Canal, you should do this tour. It can, however, be a long and hot day. When we did the tour, they had to wait for another smaller ship to go through the locks with us to conserve water. It does give you a different perspective of the locks when you are so close to them and so low in the water. The tour guide we had on the bus is the same one who did the narration on the ferry, and he was very good.

They do provide a meal on the ferry, and they have plenty of bottled water that is included with the tour. They also have a bar where you can buy a beer or two if you want.

Bathrooms on the ferry were clean and well maintained.

Enjoy your trip.

Just double-checking... what the Panama Canal excursion you took "PC1-615 Panama Canal, Panama (Gatun Lake)"?

That is correct. PC1-615 is the one through the locks.

This is from the current Princess excursion site.

http://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.do?t=T&exType=S&tourCode=PC1-615

Thanks to the original poster and everyone on this thread. We are taking this cruise at the end of October. I do have one question though. I know I have seen it before on this or other threads but I can't find it. How do you get to the good viewing area at the front of the ship? I recall seeing something about 'special' doors but now I can't find it.

We were on the Island full transit in March and the open decks at the front of decks 10 and 11 were open all the time. You just walk all the way forward on either of those decks, go through the door, and you're out. Most of the time no one was out there, but on canal day it was crowded. We loved it because we had a window mini on deck 10 forward, so it was our "private" balcony. It could get windy at times, but was a terrific place to watch for sea creatures. I even did some star gazing out there at night since it is very dark because of the bridge.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for a great review! This itinerary is one I am really looking forward to sailing some day, hopefully soon! I loved hearing about your tours because most of the ones you took are the ones I am planning to do when we go. I have you bookmarked for future reference.

Thanks for this review. I've booked to do this cruise next April and as a first time cruiser I wasn't sure what to expect and had been a bit apprehensive. I am now far more excited about my trip and the whole ship thing. It's going to be a blast!

• 1 month later...

I love all your pictures and description of your partial canal transit. My wife her 2 aunts ,cousin and I will be cruising Coral on Feb 5th from FLL. The two Aunts are in their 80. I arranged private tours in Cartagena with Dora Tours, Eduardo tours in Porto Limon, in Aruba we will rent a taxi for 3 hr . Whenis the first formal night first seaday or 2nd sea day? We did complete transit of the Canal from FLL-LA few years ago. You have any more details. Thanks for posting all those wonderful pictures. I am forwarding the link to my wife's Aunts and cousins.

When is the first formal night first seaday or 2nd sea day?

Thanks for all the recent kind words. I am glad you found the review informative.

The first formal night is the first sea day. Post #98 had a link to all the Princess Patters from our cruise.

Thanks for all the recent kind words. I am glad you found the review informative.

The first formal night is the first sea day. Post #98 had a link to all the Princess Patters from our cruise.

Thanks that is what I thought! We have only 20 signed for meet and greet, don't know how many more will sign up.

Thank you for this awesome review!! Just came across this, as I am researching members who have done the Panama Cruise. Will be taking the full transit in April 2015, picked up some great tips from your review. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much for an excellent review!! We are doing the same cruise in January 2015 on the Coral Princess with the only difference being going to Jamaica instead of Grand Cayman. So many questions we had was answered by your detailed review & your pictures are perfect. Your description of your tours was informative & swayed us to which tours to take.

Edited by islandatsea

Your Photos and descriptions are fantastic. We will be taking the same cruise in January 2015. We have a question regarding your Limon excursion with the train ride. Was it worth doing? How bumpy was the train ride? We read somewhere else that the train was in bad shape and you felt very uncomfortable riding it. Since we are arriving on Sunday, the Banana Plantation will be closed. So the rest of the excursion consists of the canal boat ride and a fruit buffet/show. Do you know if anyone took excursions with the locals? Because we are considering booking with them to avoid going on a questionable train ride. Thanks for your help, Lucy

We have a question regarding your Limon excursion with the train ride. Was it worth doing? How bumpy was the train ride? We read somewhere else that the train was in bad shape and you felt very uncomfortable riding it.

We enjoyed the train ride. It was slow moving, and they stopped to point out monkeys and sloths along the way. You could go to the train car outdoor deck and the guide would make sure everyone could see what he was pointing out. We did not notice it being bumpy.

14181834073_87c868f749_c_d.jpg

No one we talked to did a private excursion here, so I can't comment on how they would be.

Enjoy your trip. Wish I was sailing along.

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any restaraunts near the ship in Costa Rica? We are planning on taking the same tour you did and I can't seem to find anyone who has commented on the food or how safe the port is.

I do not recall seeing any restaurants near the port. The port had a market area that you could access from inside the gates.

14161745144_7b2b2a4920_c_d.jpg

There were a couple places there where you could get some local beers, and I always make sure I sample those at each port. After spending a little time in the market, we went back to the ship and ate there.

I will say that the fruit that they served after the canal ride was the best we had the entire trip. I love sweet pineapple.

• 1 month later...