4days in Rome ..what to do

Minoushka

:eek:Oh, my. I am looking for a hotel as well. Where did you find out about the bedbugs?!

Last time we stayed at the Albergo del Senato, which was wonderful. The location was perfect. But this time I am looking for something still central, but a bit more reasonably priced for just 2 nights.

Zbefore I book I check on Trip advisor .ifind critiques very accurate

A few people said a Fiamma hotel ...3 star was bug infested ...yuck

Others report .hard beds,crappy breakfast,no elevators ,moldy unclean ....lord it is so hard to find a decent place ..even higher stars had bad reviews

Real chwap ones are in seedy neighbourhoods or not on bus routes etc

You do realize that star ratings for hotels in Italy have more to do with what amenities they offer than with any level of quality, right?

I think you are setting the bar pretty high if you're looking to find a nice hotel in central Rome for less than $100 per night. (That's 65-70 euro.) If that's your budget, then perhaps you are right to look outside the center. But you're going to eat up a lot of your time getting around rather than enjoying the city. Also, as a solo traveler, keep in mind that staying in a nice location in the center means being able to go out at night and enjoy the evening, find a nice restaurant for dinner, etc.

Edited: Sorry, thought I recalled you were traveling solo.

Edited by cruisemom42

Add to the above Roman ruins at Ostia Antica (better than much over hyped Pompei). Church of St Andrea de Valle, Castel de St Angelo, Campo de Fiori, Piazza Farnesse.

I agree, Ostia Antica is wonderful to visit. Not busy or crowded. Better preserved than Pompeii. It is one of my favorite places.

Zbefore I book I check on Trip advisor .ifind critiques very accurate

A few people said a Fiamma hotel ...3 star was bug infested ...yuck

Others report .hard beds,crappy breakfast,no elevators ,moldy unclean ....lord it is so hard to find a decent place ..even higher stars had bad reviews

Real chwap ones are in seedy neighbourhoods or not on bus routes etc

Europe is expensive. There is no getting around it.

But - if you really think about it - when was the last time you got a hotel room in New York city for $100.00 ? We never have.

We recently traveled to Tampa for Easter weekend to visit family….. we paid well over $100.00 for a room at a "not so fancy" Garden Inn Hilton.

Good luck

I have been to Rome for a few days twice ...both times got 4 star hotels from Hotwire ...the blind ones for 80$ .Both were fine although the second one was very far fron centre but closer to Vatican our focus for that trip Both offered 2beds,AC,elevator,nice big bathroom,and very nice breakfast ...both booked in Summer .Both were in quiet neighbourhoods with family restaurants around

Now their prices have more than doubled ....i guess my positive reviews helped ...LOLso Im looking again

The first Hotel In Rome was on the outskirts of Rome .there was a small market where i got fruit and ,other stuff like cute purses,socks etc .across the street was a pizzeria locals went to ...al kinds for a few euros,a family type restaurant who packed a lunch for my sleeping son ...it was very good anf a very nice pastry ship .Our hotel was up the stairs from all of that ....different ...far from tourist areas ..I am tempted to go back there even if its doubled and 40 minutes to get into town .

Eversince i booked this cruise i have been searching ...

I also think it might be too early to find a bargain ......maybe I should wait .We did not need to stay in rome for 4 days ..2 would have been enough but unfortunately on those days flights are dreadfully expensive ...our transat flight was really not expensive ..so you win on one ..lose on the other But im not giving up yet

I am tempted by the Melia .Roma .antica .aurelia ..but it too is far ..they have a shuttle with fee to a metro then need to take that to get into town ..mmmmmmm??

Like I said open to suggestions ....still looking

Michele

I've never used Hotwire in Rome, but I use it all the time for short trips in the States and I've found the best deals about a week or two before travel. This is purely anecdotal data and may be merely coincidence, but that's what has worked best for me.

Can you specify a postal code when using Hotwire in Europe?

Hotwire is my friend! I've never seen postal code, but you do get a map of the general neighborhood the secret hotels are in. I've snagged some great bargains both in Europe and in the States, the best of which ever was $135 for the Hilton Molino Stucky in Venice last week. Runner up was Le Meridien in Paris for $115. This is dollars! I also got a great, new 4.5 star hotel in Austria last week for $102. I prefer small, quaint, local B&B's or inns when in Europe, but that's not always the best option, and I could not pass up these prices especially on an extended trip.

You are right, best deals are closer to the travel dates. I am in charge of finding a hotel for a group of us going to San Francisco at the end of June--this is way too early for the real bargains so I am just biding my time.

Also, check out better bidding dot com. You can frequently decipher the 'secret' hotels using their info. It hasn't steered me wrong yet.

On the home page you can enter a city, an address, an airport, or a zip code.

For the heck of it I just entered 00186, the postal code for Piazza Navona, and it brought up hotels in the neighborhood so it does work in Italy. That's good to know.

We have been to Rome a number of times. The last time was one our most enjoyable. It was mid November, we stayed for 4 days, and we had absolutely no concrete plans. Every day we went out for a walk with no definite plans. The only plan was to be outside if the weather was nice, and do inside tours if there was rain. Sunny every day! Four days of walking and we saw many things that we had missed or did not even know about on previous trips. We stayed at a small family hotel and went with their local area recommendations for dinner.

And we are looking forward to going back again and doing the exact same!

The one day-trip I wished we had been able to do was Tivoli and Hadrian's Villa. Unfortunately it is not easily accessible by bus on Sundays and I believe it was closed Monday.

Hi we were planning on going to Tivoli by bus on a Sunday. Could you please elaborate on why it is not easily accessible by bus on Sundays? Are you talking Tivoli in general or specifically Hadrians Villa?

Does the bus service run to Tivoli from Rome on Sundays or is it cut back drastically?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I completely agree. :)

To the OP: Whether you stay in a hotel, an apartment, a B&B or a hostel -- stay IN Rome, not out in some suburb.

If you are concerned about pollution, you'd have to go quite a way outside Rome to escape the traffic and congestion. In fact, it may be worse in some areas, as industry and heavy traffic are not allowed in the center.

I so agree with TEXANCRUISER and CRUISEMOM42. Stay in the heart of Rome be it apartment/hotel/b&b. We spent 3 nights in an apartment in November in the Campo Di Fiori area. Cost was 100 Euros a night for a beautiful 550 sq ft apartment. Will be back again in September of 2015 for only 2 night but will still stay in the same area in a hotel.

Well I found a supposedly very nice b&b in Rome not far from

Forum and Collosseum .i took allyour advice re location ....it sounds verynice according to the Trip advisor reviews

I hope it will be ok

One less headache ..boy it was not easy to find ...and the price I think was reaonable ....large room,so they say,2beds,private bathroom,breakfast ,and elevator ...only 4 rooms in this place with communal kitchen with breakfast stuff and fridge ..apparently well maintained and clean l

Now to organize my visits

So first full day

Colloseum and Forum..palatine hill

Ostia Antica next day

Pantheion,trevi surroundings walking in that area

Borghese ...leisure pm

What do you think ?

• 3 weeks later...
I completely agree. :)

To the OP: Whether you stay in a hotel, an apartment, a B&B or a hostel -- stay IN Rome, not out in some suburb.

If you are concerned about pollution, you'd have to go quite a way outside Rome to escape the traffic and congestion. In fact, it may be worse in some areas, as industry and heavy traffic are not allowed in the center.

Would you be able to provide some suggestions for accommodation suitable for my husband and I and three adult children. I would like to be close to the Spanish steps and and apartment would be ideal , however we only will be there for two nights. It seems to be difficult finding hotels with a room that will accommodate three people. Any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

W have been to Vatican and Sistine chapel so done

What else should we do at a leisure pace ??

Castle sant Angelo

Capuchin crypt

Capitoline museum

Baths of Caracalla

The catacombs

Scavi tour

The Etruscan ruins

Ostia antics

Orvieto

Need I go on?

Would you be able to provide some suggestions for accommodation suitable for my husband and I and three adult children. I would like to be close to the Spanish steps and and apartment would be ideal , however we only will be there for two nights. It seems to be difficult finding hotels with a room that will accommodate three people. Any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

It may take a bit of work to find an apartment for two nights but it would be worth the effort ……. especially or a party of 5. Many apartments will advertise 3 night minimum - BUT if you work with a booking company they can sometimes find you little gems that will book less ……

try contacting Sleep In Italy. Even though I usually book direct with the owners through VRBO or Cyberrentals, I used them last trip as we had my MIL and FIL with us and she is not very mobile. So I needed an apartment with very few steps and an elevator. They helped me find a wonderful apt. right off Piazza Navonna.

BTW: Why near the Spanish steps ? Pantheon/Piazza Navonna area is more central for walking everywhere and to me a better location. We stayed near the steps our first trip over and while it was a nice area it was more upscale stores than "old Rome" to me. Nice for window shopping though :D

http://www.sleepinitaly.com

Good luck !

I've been finding some great options for two nights with airbnb.com. That's all we are staying for as well and there are a lot of b&B and apartments on there that do not require 3 night minimum like vrbo.com.