Drivers to Bayport Terminal in Houston BEWARE!!

rgmacm

Houston toll roads are not that bad....when coming up to toll booth stay in far right lane cash only...$1.50...proceed on...very easy to navigate.

Don't panic. I live in Houston only problem is when you do not get in CASH only lines....far right.

I believe each toll booth is $1.75 now.

I did not read every post so excuse me if this has been covered.

In Texas, if you get a toll tag from any of the agancies managing the toll roads it is good on every toll road in the state. A toll tag cost nothing...they pull an amount (I think it is $40 for one car) into your account and you are not charged again until the account balance drops below a certian amount (I think $10). Even if you rarely use them it is silly, in my opinion, not to get one.

Second, if your car is registered in Texas you better pay the bill. There is talk of making it a law that vehicles (and the toll falls to the vehicle, not the driver) has unpaid tolls the registration cannot be renewed.

Edited by TC1957

• 4 weeks later...
OMG I have never heard so much complaining about toll roads in Houston.

You need to stay in far RIGHT lane. Pay $1.75 and proceed on.

The problem the OP had was the part of the toll road he was on, the north east part that runs from IAH to just before I-10 near Channelview, is completely unmanned. EZ tag only.

Just a bit of info..................the Harris County TollRoads are not in any way connected to the Port of Houston and the Bayport terminal.

Yes, the system is unfair, but the Port people have no say in it either.

You can get to Bayport without going any where near the tollroad, reach both airport from port without it.

This poster is correct...you do not have to get on any toll road to get to Bayport Cruise Terminal. The toll road around Houston is the Sam Houston Toll Road.

Edited by CGBCruiser

• 2 months later...
I sure would like the name of the hotel and the road so I can avoid both.

I am taking a cruise out of there in November and I dont wish to contribute to the tourist fund

Old Rocker, and anyone else visiting Bayport,

The Road to avoid is Sam Houston Pkwy also known as Beltway 8. I live in the Houston area and have taken my parents to this port. I am not from Houston I am originally from Utah and Have lived here for about 18 months. The port itself is easy to get to and from. But as mentioned from original post you do not want to travel on the toll road. Houston has two belt loops the inner and outer. The outer is the toll road and the inner (610) is your normal freeway. There are a couple routes that are simple to follow. In the Houston area all the freeways have what are called feeder roads that run parallel to the freeway. even if you found yourself on the toll road you could get off and use the feeder for free. Catch being it will take larger because of slower speed and some traffic lights. If you are going to the port from the north side of Houston (Bush Intercontinental Airport is on the north side) you can travel on the Sam Houston Pkwy for free as long as it is between the I-45 and I-69 freeways. These are the freeways that are around the airport that run north south. I would take the Pkwy East to the i-69/59 (same road) then head some on 59 to the 610 East. Follow that around until you hit the 225 head east on that until you hit the 146 where you will want to head south until you come to Port road. The exit for Port road is well marked as the cruise terminal. Once you are on the port road head until you have to turn right or left, head left and follow directions from staff to park. Hopefully this makes sense. The original post about the toll system is so right on if someone does slam you for your post they have lived to long in the Houston area and need to live somewhere else where things make a lot more sense.

I am also cruising in Nov. Is there a hotel that has a shuttle to the port or a company that we can book and take us to the port. What about taxis?

I haven’t read all of the posts here, but as I read them, I feel sad.

Most of our exits DO have toll booths. Those that are not used much don’t.

As was said before, you can get the to port with using toll roads.

Use google maps & say “No tolls”

The Best Western Plus in Seabrook has free shuttle to and from the port.

It is probably the closest hotel & it is all suites.

Prices are around $125 I think.

Judy

Several people have asked for the name of the road....took me a minute to find it, but it's the Sam Houston Northeast Tollway http://https://www.hctra.org/tollroads_map/

Our Hotel was in Baytown - When looking for a hotel, this seemed like an excellent location. The loop (THE DREADED TOLLWAY!!!) appeared to be a good route to get us away from Houston traffic during Friday rush hour. There was a mall and nice casual dining restaurants all around, and the hotels for the most part had good reviews.

It was about 15-20 min from the port and we would have time to drive there the next morning. It seemed like a perfect stop.

Of course had I seen this website (above) during the planning process I would have known it was EZ Tag ONLY...but I didn't. I just assumed it was a toll road and we would pay the toll and that would be the end of it.

So....hoping this info helps others coming after me...and I'm learning some valuable things here too about other ports... This will NEVER happen to me again Folks!!! :(

As others mentioned - tags accepted include:

A. EZ-Tag

B. TX-Tag

C. NTTA Toll Tag

Any time we’re driving to a port, I google the various routes - with and without tolls.

Many times they are similar.

Or, as mentioned get the tag from your car rental company - but this can be expensive too.

EZPass is not used in Tx

I’ve used my EZPass in Dallas with no problems. ??

I’ve also used it around Austin. No problems.

I live in Houston and I think there needs to be better information available to guests that is easier to find.

Most exits do have toll booths.

Sometimes you need to ext one exit early or one exit after.

Then it is a short ride on the feeder road.

BUT you need a way to find this information.

Then we’d have happier visitors.

Strictly speaking:

"Beltway 8" is a free public road (but has stop lights).

"Sam Houston Tollway" was built on the median of Beltway 8 and is operated by the toll company. (No they are not my favorite organization of all time but I always find their employees to be knowledgeable and polite when I deal with them...)

Freedom of choice, y'all. If you choose to use the Tollway, and if your favorite exit does not take cash, proceed to an exit that does, and take the free Beltway 8 back to your destination.

Fair enough?

Strictly speaking:

"Beltway 8" is a free public road (but has stop lights).

"Sam Houston Tollway" was built on the median of Beltway 8 and is operated by the toll company. (No they are not my favorite organization of all time but I always find their employees to be knowledgeable and polite when I deal with them...)

Freedom of choice, y'all. If you choose to use the Tollway, and if your favorite exit does not take cash, proceed to an exit that does, and take the free Beltway 8 back to your destination.

Fair enough?

Well said!

• 2 weeks later...

I understand what the OP is upset about. The areas that build toll roads, then decide not to offer a way to pay cash for the one time user are ridiculous.

Coming from a state that doesn't do toll roads, I don't have an electronic method of paying for them for any state. I like the way Illinois does it. They have toll takers all along the road. If you make a mistake and get in the wrong lane and don't pay a toll, there is a website you can go to and get the info, and if you pay the toll within 7 days, there is no penalty.

Additionally, if you only miss one or two over a 24 month period, they simply forgive it. Nice to an out of state visitor - particularly when that visitor gets lost at 1 am and has no choice but to get on a toll road, or when there is a coin operated machine that decides not to register the coins thrown in.

If possible, use Google maps, and select "avoid toll roads". If you can't avoid toll roads, the road doesn't provide a way of paying via cash, and you don't plan to return for 2 years or more, I see nothing wrong with just ignoring the bill. In fact, I would be upset with my state for providing my name and address based on the license plate to an out of state, commercial organization!

I understand what the OP is upset about. The areas that build toll roads, then decide not to offer a way to pay cash for the one time user are ridiculous.

Coming from a state that doesn't do toll roads, I don't have an electronic method of paying for them for any state. I like the way Illinois does it. They have toll takers all along the road. If you make a mistake and get in the wrong lane and don't pay a toll, there is a website you can go to and get the info, and if you pay the toll within 7 days, there is no penalty.

Additionally, if you only miss one or two over a 24 month period, they simply forgive it. Nice to an out of state visitor - particularly when that visitor gets lost at 1 am and has no choice but to get on a toll road, or when there is a coin operated machine that decides not to register the coins thrown in.

If possible, use Google maps, and select "avoid toll roads". If you can't avoid toll roads, the road doesn't provide a way of paying via cash, and you don't plan to return for 2 years or more, I see nothing wrong with just ignoring the bill. In fact, I would be upset with my state for providing my name and address based on the license plate to an out of state, commercial organization!

I live in Houston and I feel your pain, but a little research goes a long way. They only have NO CASH at exits that are not used often. If you check, you can probably get off one exit sooner or later and there will be a cash toll booth.

Then you can use the feeder road for a short distance. Feeder runs beside toll road.

I am visiting in Massachusetts and they have a bridge that is tokens or easy pass only. In a rental car, you nee to pay for an easy pass to cross the bridge.

That is a daily cost plus the tolls. I didn't check into finding tokens. Luckily, we did not have to cross that bridge, but I did research before we came.

Hope this helps a little. I must say I thought the BEWARE in all caps was a bit harsh.

Judy

• 5 months later...