Dress code?

jjtimes2

My in-laws will be taking their first river cruise (Viking) this summer and are wondering what they should wear. It's my understanding that river cruises do not have a "suggested" formal night and my FIL will not be expected to wear a jacket or tie to dinner - is that the case? They'll be in Europe, so should they dress up a bit more, such as khaki's rather than jeans, for excursions? Are shorts suitable during the day? MIL prefers capri pants and long skirts and I'm guessing that's appropriate during the day and at dinner, but I'm not sure.

Hubby and I have been on several ocean cruises and I tend to dress "up" more on those, so I don't have any idea what to tell them for a river cruise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

We have been on 5 river cruises with Vantage. There are usually two special nights - The Captains night and the Farewell night on the ship. I always take a sport coat and a tie and my wife dresses up a little for those nights. Some men wear a nice sport shirt and slacks but the ladies usually get all prettied up. Your choice but NO jeans or shorts for both.

As far as the general evenings I would not wear jeans or shorts. I think you might stand out if you do. Your choice but I always feel better dressing up a little. Willard

Viking cruise docs state-" Dinner attire is 'evening casual'and the Captain's Dinner is dressy but not formal." I would interpret that as no shorts and nasty t-shirts for normal and perhaps a bit nicer for Captains Dinner. My DH is taking dress pants and nice golf shorts for dinner but no sport coat for the one(!) more dressy occasion- just a nicer golf shirt! I couldn't convince him to take a shirt and tie for the one more dressy night, but I think he looks great in that mostly black golf shirt. I am wearing black slacks and black top with slightly nicer jewelry for that dressy night. It is a relief not to have to drag a load of dressy stuff like on an ocean cruise!

We are not Viking cruisers but have done 6 river cruises. There is no need whatsoever to bring a sport coat or tie, unless you FIL has a personal preference to wear one. Most cruises will have a welcome aboard and a farewell Captain's party and guests will dress it up a bit but on all of our cruises, no more than 10% of men wore sport coats and far less than that wore ties.

I brought a black skirt and some nice tops for dinner. I think I was the only one in a skirt at dinner. It tends to be pretty casual .... however, I saw no jeans or shorts.

For touring in Europe - shorts is an american thing. I would not take those for touring. And you may not get into Cathedrals with bare knees or shoulders.

Good walking shoes are a must but everyplace that the ship docks will be pretty touristy, so casual will be OK

I brought a black skirt and some nice tops for dinner. I think I was the only one in a skirt at dinner. It tends to be pretty casual .... however, I saw no jeans or shorts.

For touring in Europe - shorts is an american thing. I would not take those for touring. And you may not get into Cathedrals with bare knees or shoulders.

Good walking shoes are a must but everyplace that the ship docks will be pretty touristy, so casual will be OK

Sorry to disagree but, other than in churches and the like, shorts will be absolutely fine when touring ashore. I am sure that I am not the only non-USA chap who wears them!

kool kruiser is right, shorts are indeed fine for excursions all over Europe (other than some places of worship).

I have recently come off a Viking cruise. I didn't see anyone wearing shorts at dinner but people weren't dressy. Most, but not all, did dress up a bit for the Farewell dinner, but nothing like you would see on an ocean cruise. My OH wore a jacket and tie for that dinner and a few men were wearing ordinary suits for it, but many were less 'formal' - the man sitting next to me was in a striped T-shirt. I had taken a slightly sparkly top but having found I'd forgotten to pack the dressy trousers I was planning to wear with it :eek:, I resorted to a black floaty blouse and plain skirt and was by no means underdressed.

I agree. We don't pack shorts for European cities except for beach destinations in warm weather, but that is personal preference.

I do bring one dress (black, wrap in a knit material) that I wear a couple of times to dinner and change the accessories.