Book now, or wait?

Hi all

We are thinking about the November 6-13, 2014 Exotic Explorations Navigator cruise, and I could use your advice about booking.

On Regent's website, it appears that there is availability in every single category. None are showing wait-listed or guaranteed. (We would probably book Cat. E, forward of the elevators). Since so many suites are open at this time, should we wait in hopes that Regent will offer some "deals"? The cruise is only 6 months away, so I'm hoping they will offer some incentive since this cruise obviously is far from being sold out.

We have sailed on the Navigator before, but we had always booked almost a year in advance for our other cruises. Does Regent typically offer a lower fare as the sail date gets nearer?

Thanks for any advice!:)

Don't let category "availability" fool you. If you do further research you may learn that there are 3-4 suites "available" in some categories. There is absolutely no advantage to waiting. Prices on some (not all) cruises go up quarterly. Also, you should avoid aft suites on the Navigator due to a vibration issue. Book the soonest you can and select a mid-ship cabin.

Hope you are using a good TA -- one familiar with booking Regent and one that offers bonuses for booking with them.

Thank you for your replies.

Now I just have to find a TA who will offer quality service, plus hopefully give us some on-board credit. Guess I'd better start researching!

Google Luxury Cruise Travel Agencies.... Good place to find one based in Texas ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On two occasions we have booked Regent more than Eight months in advance only to find the price on the internet going lower. Although Regent acknowledged this they refused a reduction or onboard credit and would only offer an allowance against a future cruise.

We could not cancel and re-book as being based in the UK we would have lost our very substantial deposit.

Regent need to rethink their policies for non-US passengers.

On two occasions we have booked Regent more than Eight months in advance only to find the price on the internet going lower. Although Regent acknowledged this they refused a reduction or onboard credit and would only offer an allowance against a future cruise.

We could not cancel and re-book as being based in the UK we would have lost our very substantial deposit.

Regent need to rethink their policies for non-US passengers.

There are some things that Regent may not be able to offer to people booking outside of the .US. Laws regarding cruising/travel differ between the two countries. Since Regent is a U.S. company, they must abide by their laws. This could be the reason why specials are offered in the U.K. that are not offered in the U.S. IMO, things equal out in the end.

There are some things that Regent may not be able to offer to people booking outside of the .US. Laws regarding cruising/travel differ between the two countries. Since Regent is a U.S. company, they must abide by their laws. This could be the reason why specials are offered in the U.K. that are not offered in the U.S. IMO, things equal out in the end.

The U.K. has much stronger consumer protection laws than we do in the States, plus the fact that the majority of passengers are from the U.S. and Regent would not want to alienate such a large number of people. I have homes in both the U.S. and the U.K. and I have received amazing offers at my U.K. address that they refuse to match in the States - yet, another one of my pet peeves against Regent. I have checked very carefully and I am comparing apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

Regarding last minute sailings, I receive emails directly from a Regent cruise consultant and right now she is hawking last minute specials for cruises within the next three months - seems to be plenty of open cabins available.

On one of my Regent cruises I met a couple from Canada who belong to a "travel club" and they are provided significant discounts for booking cruises weeks before sailing. They introduced us to other people on the ship who were also booked last minute through this "travel club". I had written down the name of this club and then lost it and have not been able to locate it on the internet, although at the time I had checked it out on the internet and it seems very legit. I remember we were in a concierge suite and they were in a penthouse suite and they had paid less than 50% of what we had paid, however, airfare was not included, but it was still an amazing deal. Right now I am really not able to travel "last minute" (unlike the majority of people on the ship, I still work full time), but I would really like to locate the name of that club. No matter what Regent is saying, bookings are not what they use to be - I remember years ago my parents booking 18 months out and having cruises sold out, that is no longer the case. Regent will do whatever they need to do to fill those empty cabins because any revenue is better than no revenue, plus they do not want to have the impression that Regent is no longer a desirable product and are having problems selling cabins.

gnomie :)

Although UK based I used to book cruises through an agent in the States as, I often got a better deal even allowing for conversion costs for my credit card. This was stopped by a couple of cruise lines. This Canadian Club seems interesting but can a Brit use them?

Even if a Brit could use them, I don't think Cruise Critic allows the name of any place that books cruises to be mentioned (whether they are a TA or travel club as they are competition to Cruise Critic). I do know that some people in the U.S. book through Canadian TA's and that people in the U.K. use TA's in the U.S.

It is interesting that Regent is trying to sell cabins. I suspect that many of them are for Baltic cruises because they simply aren't selling (for obvious reasons). The first leg of our Baltic cruise (June 29th) had a lot of availability and the 2nd leg was open but is now filling up. It should be an interesting mix of people on our cruise. I suspect that many will be from Europe (not a complaint -- just an observation).

It offers deals in other markets such as the UK

I keep reading that we in the UK are being given deals. What deals and where can I find them please? I would love to pay something less than the brochure price.

I keep reading that we in the UK are being given deals. What deals and where can I find them please? I would love to pay something less than the brochure price.

If you go onto the Regent website and sign up for newsletters you'll get emails (occasionally) offering last minute availabilities at reduced prices and 'kids go free' (in term time though) :eek: deals. Always too short notice for us and can't find any kids :D.

If you go onto the Regent website and sign up for newsletters you'll get emails (occasionally) offering last minute availabilities at reduced prices and 'kids go free' (in term time though) :eek: deals. Always too short notice for us and can't find any kids :D.

I bet a lot of people would loan you their kids! :D

I bet a lot of people would loan you their kids! :D

I'll loan you my grandkids, their tuition payments are due in July. Where can I send the invoices ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks - will sign up and worry about finding a couple of kids later!!;)

Thanks - will sign up and worry about finding a couple of kids later!!;)

A word of warning (not about the kids!) - the Regent experience can be addictive. Friends of ours who had cruised other 'mainstream' lines have just returned from their first cruise on the Mariner (our favourite) and - guess what - they're already booking their next :D

The when to book question is an interesting one. Our TA is quite clear that you should book as soon as you can to ensure you get what you want. Sure you can wait, but your choice of suite may be limited. That said, I do get irritated when I receive emails and glossy brochures almost on a weekly basis telling me about savings and reduced fares !

Our last Regent cruise was booked 11 months in advance, but the price dropped before the final payment was due. Our TA got onto Regent and we were upgraded.

It also occurs to me that timing may also be a factor on book now or later. We are tied to school vacations, hence we need to book early to guarantee the cruise we want, and probably more important, the transatlantic air travel.

A word of warning (not about the kids!) - the Regent experience can be addictive. Friends of ours who had cruised other 'mainstream' lines have just returned from their first cruise on the Mariner (our favourite) and - guess what - they're already booking their next :D

Ahh, your warning comes too late rarin2go - we've just completed our first Regent cruise (SF - Vancouver) and booked for South Africa next year whilst onboard !!!! I wouldn't be averse to a 'bargain' before then though:)

My relatives live in the UK full time and they have a travel agent who must get access to discounted inventory. I know that last year they got an amazing offer and the US based relatives wanted to join them and we were unable to take advantage of the promotion because our passports are US and not EU. The savings were significant. It was not advertised, the travel agent sent out an email to their customers notifying them of limited inventory. As I said before, Regent will so whatever necessary to fill up slow selling itineraries without alienating their core customer.

gnomie :)