Future cruise credit purchased on ship

ctrlbrk

Can you tell me about the future cruise credit program, booking a future cruise while on the ship?

What are the incentives? More OBC? Lower deposit?

Can these be transferred easily to a travel agent and combined with their OBC they give me?

Do they expire?

Is it better to buy just a voucher with no specific sailing in mind, or to book a specific cruise that you might change later? Can you change it?

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

Can you tell me about the future cruise credit program, booking a future cruise while on the ship?

What are the incentives? More OBC? Lower deposit?

Can these be transferred easily to a travel agent and combined with their OBC they give me?

Do they expire?

Is it better to buy just a voucher with no specific sailing in mind, or to book a specific cruise that you might change later? Can you change it?

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

The main incentive is that the $250 future cruise credit which you purchase only costs you $150. It is effectively a $100 discount. In addition, if you book a cruise (except for some suites) using the certificate then it acts as a full deposit, even if the actually deposit should have been higher. You can still use a FCC to book a higher end suite but you will have to pay the difference.

They can be used for Travel Agent bookings. I've never done it, but I assume you just let your TA know you have one. It is linked to your Latitudes account, so it is visible during the booking process as long as they have your Latitudes number. It is combinable with any other offer your TA may have.

The expiry date is four years after purchase. The cruise needs to be taken within that period.

You can't book a cruise online (unless you log into NCL.com and book one yourself as you would at home), so your last question doesn't really apply. Basically, as long as you know you will be taking another NCL cruise in the timescale then there is no harm in getting a FCC. Just get one, save $100 and book the next cruise as you usually would.

Edited by KeithJenner

The main incentive is that the $250 future cruise credit which you purchase only costs you $150. It is effectively a $100 discount. In addition, if you book a cruise (except for some suites) using the certificate then it acts as a full deposit, even if the actually deposit should have been higher. You can still use a FCC to book a higher end suite but you will have to pay the difference.

They can be used for Travel Agent bookings. I've never done it, but I assume you just let your TA know you have one. It is linked to your Latitudes account, so it is visible during the booking process as long as they have your Latitudes number. It is combinable with any other offer your TA may have.

The expiry date is four years after purchase. The cruise needs to be taken within that period.

You can't book a cruise online (unless you log into NCL.com and book one yourself as you would at home), so your last question doesn't really apply. Basically, as long as you know you will be taking another NCL cruise in the timescale then there is no harm in getting a FCC. Just get one, save $100 and book the next cruise as you usually would.

were in uk always have had the FCC in $ and used it with a USA travel agent with no problems

They can be used for Travel Agent bookings. I've never done it, but I assume you just let your TA know you have one.

Exactly like that, just did this yesterday when booking a cruise for next year. Also gave them the id and expiry date (that are now available from MyNCL) of FCR I wanted to use because I have three and wanted to make sure they use the oldest one - probably would have anyway but just wanted to make sure. :D

were in uk always have had the FCC in $ and used it with a USA travel agent with no problems

As far as I was informed:

The FCC has to be bought in the currency of the booked cruise you are on at the time of purchase.

We were on a GBP booking last time onboard, for a first and mainly to a bargain but wasn't so sure if we would book a next cruise in GBP sinc we have so many options and/or currencies of booking. We were not allowed to buy a USD or EUR FCC.

In addition, if you book a cruise (except for some suites) using the certificate then it acts as a full deposit, even if the actually deposit should have been higher. You can still use a FCC to book a higher end suite but you will have to pay the difference.

Apparently these are no longer good for the full deposit on ANY suites- not just the higher end ones as was previously the situation.

Email from NCL: Cruise Rewards has advised me that for your SE cabin, the cruise reward only applies as partial deposit.

As per the original email from us, full deposit is required now for all suite categories above the M category (mini-suite).

Terms & Conditions from NCL's web page have not been updated:

6. Limit one (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used per stateroom; and may be used as the full deposit for all staterooms except Specialty Suites, The Haven and Garden Villas (staterooms requiring enhanced deposit). One (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used as a partial deposit towards the full required deposit for Specialty Suites (which previously was the Owner's Suite and Deluxe Owner's Suite), Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas.

Apparently these are no longer good for the full deposit on ANY suites- not just the higher end ones as was previously the situation.

Email from NCL: Cruise Rewards has advised me that for your SE cabin, the cruise reward only applies as partial deposit.

As per the original email from us, full deposit is required now for all suite categories above the M category (mini-suite).

Terms & Conditions from NCL's web page have not been updated:

6. Limit one (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used per stateroom; and may be used as the full deposit for all staterooms except Specialty Suites, The Haven and Garden Villas (staterooms requiring enhanced deposit). One (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used as a partial deposit towards the full required deposit for Specialty Suites (which previously was the Owner's Suite and Deluxe Owner's Suite), Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas.

I'm not saying Norwegian didn't change the rules but unfortunately there are way too many NCL employees that cannot comprehend the difference in the lower suites' deposit and those that require an "full" deposit. MY TA was told by 3 different NCL employees that a "full" deposit was required for an SF suite and even said my reservation would be automatically cancelled the next day if I only used the FCR.......I refused to pay anything besides the FCR so he again called back to finally get a supervisor who knew what he was doing and confirmed that only the FCR is required......and my reservation has not been cancelled for 3 months now. :rolleyes:

Hint: Unless the rules have changed (which I doubt) If your suite only requires a deposit of $500 for 2 people on NCL.com when you do a mock booking - only a FCR is required.

Edited by peg013

Well, I was told the rules for suites were changed a few months back. For several years it was OS, DOS and GV only had enhanced deposits. If you try a mock booking for a "lesser" suite now, it will come up as $1500. It did for me. I talked to several/many at NCL and all confirmed that all suites now pay the enhanced deposit. Your experience may be different.

One "issue" in the past was, you could book a SE/SF type suite for a $500 deposit and then upgrade to a high level suite and not have to pay the increased deposit. Then cancel or change your booking before the deadline. Now all suite appear to be on an even footing.

Well, I was told the rules for suites were changed a few months back. For several years it was OS, DOS and GV only had enhanced deposits. If you try a mock booking for a "lesser" suite now, it will come up as $1500. It did for me. I talked to several/many at NCL and all confirmed that all suites now pay the enhanced deposit. Your experience may be different.

One "issue" in the past was, you could book a SE/SF type suite for a $500 deposit and then upgrade to a high level suite and not have to pay the increased deposit. Then cancel or change your booking before the deadline. Now all suite appear to be on an even footing.

Not my experience.....I just did a mock booking and here is the result: (As you can see, the cruise deposit is still $500 which means a FCR is all that is needed.)

MOCK%2520Booking.JPG

MockBookingCapture.JPG

Mock%2520Booking%2520Capture2.JPG

Edited by peg013

We've always had 3 or 4 people in an SF/SE and never had to use more than the FCR.

Troy the supervisor from the Cruise Reward Desk said this changed as of this year and ALL suites now require addt'l deposit.

I know that more incorrect than correct info is given out by the phone reps. The terms & conditions don't reflect this change so I think that NCL should have at least honored the 2 cruises I already had booked with the FCR. I sent an email to socialmedia@ncl.com but haven't heard back.

At this point I'm over it....