Port of Livorno

cruisingbarb

If you are willing to rent a car and drive, or use a car service, you can get to Siena from Livorno in about two hours. Siena is a great place to spend a day, you couldn't begin to exhaust everything there is to see and do in just a day. However, it's really not feasible by public transit.

Lots of folks use cars to go to San Gimignano and Volterra from Livorno.

Finally, if you head south for about 90 minutes you can visit the Maremma, a beautiful national park with actual Italian cowboys. A car is required here as well.

By public transit, I agree that Lucca is a good choice.

Many options open if you are willing to rent a car. You can then visit places like Volterra, Colle val d,Elsa, San Gimignano and Sienna (previously mentioned) or perhaps enjoy the scenery along the S222 wine road and also visit some Chianti wineries. Without a car we think Lucca is the best option.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I highly recommend Lucca. We went there on a private tour a few months ago and loved it.

On our way back we stopped off at Pisa. Not sure when you were there last but although we have been there other times we just spent a little while walking the town.

You can easily spend your entire time at Lucca. You can walk inside the city and then walk the entire walled city portion which will provide nice views.

Keith

We loved Lucca and it's really eay to get to on your own. You can also rent bicycles and ride around the wall of the city for something different.

Going to Livorno for the first time in September and really fancy going to Lucca - how did you get there, timings etc? Also interested in renting bikes whilst there, do you have to pre book?

I think you can take the train straight from the station by the port, but I too would appreciate more info on that.

From where to where?

The train station in Livorno is at Piazza Dante, which is just under two miles on foot from the cruise port. Most of the time you are not allowed to leave the ship on foot - and you are charged by your cruise line for the shuttle bus they provide to Piazza Grande in Livorno. Piazza Grande is still one and a half miles from the train station.

Although it costs more, if you're in a hurry you can get together with up to six people and take a taxi to the train station. They typically charge about 25 Euro for this short trip, but if you're in a hurry to make a train it can be worth it.

If you're going to Lucca you'll need to change trains at Pisa Centrale.

• 5 months later...
I highly recommend Lucca. We went there on a private tour a few months ago and loved it.

On our way back we stopped off at Pisa. Not sure when you were there last but although we have been there other times we just spent a little while walking the town.

You can easily spend your entire time at Lucca. You can walk inside the city and then walk the entire walled city portion which will provide nice views.

Keith

What tour company did you use?