My first review attempt!!! – Carnival Splendor May 12-20th w/pics!!

cruisinbabs

Thanks so much!! yay another subscriber! You live in new york area? or do you have to fly 3000 miles like we did to get there? only downside not living near a port...grrr... airfare..:eek:

I live on long island, takes me about a half hour to get to the port. Very convenient being so close lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey, we were in port with you in Grand Turk, we sailed on Liberty that week! I was so excited to watch Splendor dock next to us as we sail on her to Bermuda next year. Thanks for taking time to do a review, I am going to be following along!

Yay! A Splendor review! I'm booked on her for the 2nd leg of the repositioning in November and while on the 5/4 Pride sailing, I booked the 1-time Bermuda cruise, too.

Looking forward to ship photos. I love the Spirit class and am even a big fan of the Fantasy class. Conquest-class ships are a bit too much for me, so I'm wondering how I'll like Splendor. I'm sure I'll have wonderful time. I am sad that she doesn't have the upstairs Fish and Chips like the Conquest-class. I love that place for lunch!!

Anyway, keep it coming!!

I figured there were not too many Splendor reviews so I wanted to put something together. :-) I am merely going on my experience.. I didnt get a whole of of interior ship shots though.. was busy..well being a busy bee.. heheh. But I took plenty of pictures. :D

My last ship was the Conquest and Splendor is sort of similar layout wise in some aspects.

Stay tuned.. typing some more on Word and might have to wait for lil dude to take a nap for some peace and quiet.. lol.

Hey, we were in port with you in Grand Turk, we sailed on Liberty that week! I was so excited to watch Splendor dock next to us as we sail on her to Bermuda next year. Thanks for taking time to do a review, I am going to be following along!

Oh awesome sauce!! Yea it was neat docking next to the Liberty... hopefully no one was in birthday suits on their balcony..:eek: truly amazing how they maneuver the ships... also it was a perfect day!!!! Busy in port.. but perfect weather! Thanks for following along! ::high five!::

Great review so far, thanks for sharing! Thanks to your pre-cruise postings I booked the Holiday Inn Express today for our stay the night before sailing on the Splendor in August.

Right on!!! Its a newer hotel and I loved the location.. I also think ours might have been a little higher cause it was Mothers Day weekend possibly..The staff was super friendly and helpful.

I am glad my pre-trip was able to help out a fellow cruiser! woot woot!!

Now a little background on my booking…

Originally I was able to book a Aft Premium Balcony room AKA L-shaped cabin - AKA bowling alley balcony.. it was a decent rate, hence the reason I booked it. Mom decided to join us on this cruise around early January and we were able to find her an interior right across the hall from us. I kept watching for price drops and one finally showed up and it was under military rate. Sweet saved us 120 bucks (for a little while anyways)!

cabinselection_zps5832591e.jpg

Final payment came and went, passing the time with work and the daily/weekly grind.. sitting at work and I see a 305 area code number which is Miami, Fl.. I knew exactly who was calling… you guessed it.. the upgrade fairy!!!! Mind you I was at work and I am very lucky my work is so flexible to be able to do such a thing.. I answered and let her introduce herself that she was with Carnival, then I said “you are the upgrade fairy aren’t ya!!”…. She paused for a moment and was like “why yes.. yes I am… ::chuckled::” She told me she has never had anyone answer the phone like that and it made her laugh.. So she still proceeded with her call offering us an Ocean Suite for X amount of dollars, out the door, no extra port fees… I told her I would only ponder the thought of doing that if we were able to move mom in an interior across the hall from us.. ( I didn’t want to be forward and her all the way in the aft.. ).. She was able to find a cabin right across the hall from the cabin she was offering us… So I asked her to hold real quick on my cell phone while I proceed to dial the hubs on our work phone to ask him if he wanted to upgrade.. I totally thought he was going to say no but he basically said “GO FOR IT.. HECK YA!”….. Then I called mom to see if she wanted to move too and it was a very small amount for her to upgrade up a deck…. Done deal.. gave her my plastic number and we were now proud owners of an Ocean Suite for our cruise… We figured why not, we are celebrating an Anniversary and it was kind of a YOLO trip since it had been so long.. Ourselves and mom were able to snag FTTF for this trip too.. Even though we upgraded and really didn’t “need” FTTF, we decided just to keep it for HMC… We ended up in cabin 7231 and mom across the hall in 7229.

cabinselection2_zps4bc65a15.jpg

Once it was booked I was chatting with another Splendido and told her I upgraded... she was like "I WANT YOUR OLD CABIN!".. so she called her TA and told her "my friend just upgraded and her cabin is available and I want it"... So Score for her!! Glad it went to someone I knew.. :D

Looking forward to ship photos. I love the Spirit class and am even a big fan of the Fantasy class. Conquest-class ships are a bit too much for me, so I'm wondering how I'll like Splendor. I'm sure I'll have wonderful time. I am sad that she doesn't have the upstairs Fish and Chips like the Conquest-class. I love that place for lunch!!

Anyway, keep it coming!!

Big Spirit fan here too and I loved the Splendor! No Fish and Chips but the Mongolian Wok was awesome!

Did you watch our sailaway? I was standing on the "secret deck" on deck 9 in a bright pink BERMUDA cover up. I had a BLAST waving to all the pax on Liberty watching us sail out.

Cruisinbabs, we had the L shaped bowling alley cabins last May and again in Feb on deck 8. Really loved them but the NOISE from the deck above was horrible! Can't wait to see a picture of your room and congrats on the upgrade!

Did you watch our sailaway? I was standing on the "secret deck" on deck 9 in a bright pink BERMUDA cover up. I had a BLAST waving to all the pax on Liberty watching us sail out.

Cruisinbabs, we had the L shaped bowling alley cabins last May and again in Feb on deck 8. Really loved them but the NOISE from the deck above was horrible! Can't wait to see a picture of your room and congrats on the upgrade!

I did watch your sail away, we had an aft balcony and I was snapping pics as you pulled out!

I did watch your sail away, we had an aft balcony and I was snapping pics as you pulled out!

Well, I watched and was standing there until your ship was a tiny little dot, noticed all the pax on the aft wraps so if you go thru your pics and see a lady in pink at the front of the ship, that is me! :p

Just wanted to say that I am enjoying your review. I like your writing style and the level of detail that you go to explain things.....Congrats on the upgrade.....Maybe it will happen to me some day.....Looking forward to more.....

Another glorious night of sleep and wake up realizing FINALLY IT’S EMBARKATION DAY!!! After we get up and have breakfast again outside (since it was beautiful out)… We head back up to our room to pack up our suitcases and for me to ummmmmm… pack my adult beverages into my big suitcase. **wink wink**…. I packed my 2 six packs of soda (I didn’t even know they still had six packs available!) that I had bought the night before into my small rolling carry on so they can get put right to the room, attached our luggage tags I laminated before we left home and made sure I had our door signs ready to be put up.

IMG_7457_zps81c9d982.jpg

---Roll Call door signs and luggage tags.. CHECK!

We did our dummy check sweep in the hotel room which took a minute since the room was so large.. ::roll eyes::….. Downstairs and out the door we went!.. started walking and we finally are able to see a whale tail!!!

IMG_7506_zps55e5f6b5.jpg

----Best sight EVER!!!

It was an easy walk to the pier from our hotel…. I think it took maybe all of 5 minutes? She was docked at pier 90 this morning although I have heard sometimes she will dock at pier 92? Still.. not a bad walk as long as the weather cooperates..

IMG_7508_zps4c9a781c.jpg

---Yay!!!

After we cross 12th street the porters were SUPER NICE.. since I was so caught up in my excitement my husband tells the porter to take all our luggage since we had priority and FTTF and would get our luggage pretty quick.. didn’t think anything of it… lets just say there was less soda when my bag showed up later… grrr. Hey, it’s a precious commodity when you have stuff to mix with it!

After you get off the elevator, you go through a line where they check your boarding passes, passports and you go through x-ray machine.. we were at the dock approx 10:30 and it was super nice to go through the priority check in line. Thanks FTTF!

Then you go through another area where you can get checked in to get your sail and sign account and wait to board..

IMG_7509_zps49404893.jpg

---Hello Beautiful!!!

IMG_7510_zps26652ef1.jpg

---So Crazy how close they get to the pier here... NUTS.

So all of us had FTTF (which we made her get since we had it and didn’t want to get separated) and since we upgraded to a suite, our tickets said PRIORITY on it.. A Carnival rep directed my mom to the FTTF line and us to the captains lounge/waiting area.. I felt so bad cause my mom was already sailing solo and trying to include her in as much stuff as possible.. So off she went to check in by herself. As soon as we walk into the lounge, we spot a Splendido honeymoon couple!! So there are two sections that you wait in… the first one where they check you in.. say CHEESE for your photo and then they give you your sail and sign card. Once you get your cards, you go sit in the other waiting room where there is some lemon water you can sip on out of some dixie cups.

Sail and Sign cards are in hand!! Yay for turning Gold this cruise for me! Thus, leaving hubs in the Red...lol..

IMG_7511_zpse33b14bc.jpg

---Passes to a great time and hopefully not a hefty bill at the end!! Or you might end up having to work the laundry room!

In the meantime while we are waiting on a comfy sofa and chatting with other people and fellow Splendidos.. I send a message to another Splendido who had FTTF as well throughout the morning and our conversation went like this…

mom_in_line_zps94496166.png

---Taking stalker photos...

We laughed so hard because she felt funny taking stalker photos of my mom…hahahah!!! I guess one of those things you had to have been there… still.. pretty funny.. So they started chatting and that made me feel a lot better knowing my mom was not just sitting there all alone.

IMG_7512_zps74384e9f.jpg

---Preboarding selfies!!! ahhhh.. finally going to start this vacation!

Edited by cruisinbabs

Just wanted to say that I am enjoying your review. I like your writing style and the level of detail that you go to explain things.....Congrats on the upgrade.....Maybe it will happen to me some day.....Looking forward to more.....

Thank you crusing_guy!! I am trying to put in as many details as possible without making everyone fall asleep.. well that is the goal anyways.. Glad you are following along! :D

Where'd ya go??? You can work harder tomorrow we need more review ;) :p

hi Bri (is it ok for me to call you that?? or do you hate that like I hate being called Barbie.. cause I am no barbie doll..)

I am multitasking at work.. process some invoices, take a CC break.. process some more paperwork.. process some more CC review..

Hope you are still enjoying my review and thank you for following along!:)