My first review attempt!!! – Carnival Splendor May 12-20th w/pics!!

cruisinbabs

Oh, you are absolutely adorable. We live right over the George Washington Bridge and a little bit into NJ and go into the city all the time for various things and it is still very exciting, but also kind of same old same old, so it's fun to see it thru a newbies eyes! You can't blink in there or you'll miss something! Very vibrant! Nice you had such a great day to explore! :) I was bbq'ing for 6 moms that day and when they left I packed!!! :p

So glad you got to experience our beautiful city. I live in eastern Long Island and still am amazed when I go to NYC. I was on the Splendor last August and loved her! We got a ride from my nephew to the port as he is very city savvy but took a cab to Penn Station and then the LIRR home. Would do it again in a heartbeat! Subscribed to your review.

Enjoying your review, we are sailing on the Splendor in a mere few days!!

How exciting!!! I had so much fun on this cruise. Half moon cay was def my favorite port hands down.. grand turk.. second. thank you for following my review as I stumble through it.. things are getting posted so I guess that is a good sign. :D

Loving the review and pictures. Can't wait for the rest. Thanks for sharing and posting!!!!

Thank you so much for the kind words.. Again I was nervous about doing a review.. But hey people are reading and commenting so that works. :-) yahoo!!

Oh, you are absolutely adorable. We live right over the George Washington Bridge and a little bit into NJ and go into the city all the time for various things and it is still very exciting, but also kind of same old same old, so it's fun to see it thru a newbies eyes! You can't blink in there or you'll miss something! Very vibrant! Nice you had such a great day to explore! :) I was bbq'ing for 6 moms that day and when they left I packed!!! :p

My eyes were wanting to pop out of my head cause there was so much to take in.. I mean we did not even really get to actually go into a lot of places.. It was like "oh look!! X.... Take a picture... oh look!! Y.. Take a picture... selfie time!"... and then keep on walking... We would have had more time if our flights weren't all jacked up.. We were SUPPOSED to get into LGA at 4:30 Saturday.. So that chopped into some of our sightseeing time too..

Just means I will have to plan another trip back there! Got room at your Casa? heheh...

Oh to live so close to a port.. I would love it but would also be cruise poor.. :)

thanks for following along fellow Splendido!

So glad you got to experience our beautiful city. I live in eastern Long Island and still am amazed when I go to NYC. I was on the Splendor last August and loved her! We got a ride from my nephew to the port as he is very city savvy but took a cab to Penn Station and then the LIRR home. Would do it again in a heartbeat! Subscribed to your review.

There is so much to do there! holy moly!!! I really wish I had more time there to take in some shows and to see a few other places we didnt get to.. i.e. Central Park.. in the daytime of course.. No wonder everyone walks a lot and takes public transportation.. driving a car there I would have worse road rage than I already have in my smallish town.. thank you so much for subscribing! yahoo! I have a fan.... Take that Gambee!! j/k... his reviews are awesomesauce... maybe someday I will be able to write such awesome reviews.. hehehe.

We get our tickets... super cheap.. $5/per person round trip.. and wait..

IMG_7491_zps5b7bf6a2.jpg

---Nooooo we are not tourists... at all!!!

IMG_7490_zps0106dabb.jpg

---These two are such a riot... trying to hitchhike for a train showing their legs.Again...those two never miss a beat when they meet up again..

DSCN2538_zps83662aab.jpg

---Train is here!! Time to go!

We went to only the Memorial this day.. I did not want to go to the museum or the "gift shop" they had there.. I did not want to be involved in any of that.. I wanted to go visit the memorial and pay my respects to all that were lost or affected that horrific day.. I COULD NOT even imagine what people went through or just being there the day of and the aftermath. Also to all the fallen soldiers that went over to fight for us that never came home. With my husband being a veteran, his buddy Keith that did two tours who is a veteran now as well along with myself and Heather being military spouses... we all shed tears being here this day. Again I felt the need to pay my respects. Sorry for the long intro on this but I felt it necessary.

DSCN2548_zpse7ad804b.jpg

DSCN2550_zps99a819d9.jpg

DSCN2551_zps6cb4a874.jpg

DSCN2555_zpse38e87f3.jpg

DSCN2554_zpsf7a2f9c9.jpg

DSCN2553_zps4fcb8a32.jpg

---It would have been this gentlemans birthday this day. Volunteers put white roses on a persons name on their birthday. I thought that was a sweet gesture.

After our visit to the memorial... we were HUNGRY HUNGRY HIPPOS.... mind you we have been go go go all morning long. Our feet were burning and needed to stuff our faces. Once we left the memorial and looped back around we came across this place...

bltbarandgrill_zps59b4061a.jpg

---A tad on the spendy side to us.. but it was really good food. The burgers and fries are to die for. They had a mothers day special where it was 15 bucks unlimited drinks (certain drinks)... hubs and I had a "few" mimosas. Service was great and it was nice to get off our feet for a bit before heading back to the hotel.

We hop back on the subway and head back north because Keith and Heather had to be back to the hotel by 4 to get their vehicle to head back home to PA. BOOOOOOO!!!!!! SAD PANDA... we got off the train and just haaaaad to stop here...

IMG_7497_zpsa699896f.jpg

---Had my first ever Canoli.. yup.. I got the chocolate covered canoli.. If you are gunna do it.. do it right.. sorry I do not have a pic because I ate it later that evening.. AND IT WAS HEAVEN IN MY MOUTH!!

We are on the street the hotel is on and I hear Breakaway's horn blow getting ready to set sail.. I knew I couldnt get down their fast enough cause my dogs were SCREAMING... So we get to the hotel, head upstairs and I run to the window with my camera to catch a glimpse of her since I knew we could somewhat see the Hudson from our Window.. and I caught her just in time...

DSCN2558_zps469133a3.jpg

We then have to say goodbye to Keith and Heather which was hard to do. But we were super thankful they drove 4 hrs to come visit and spend the day with us. It was super special. We had a couple of more lil errands to run... get my 2 six packs of diet pepsi and some snacks at the 24 hr market again, hit up Grace Wine and Spirits then a grocery store for some last minute toiletries... note to self.... BUY THAT S**T AHEAD OF TIME... NYC IS EXPENSIVE!!!.....

After we get back it is time to freshen up for dinner as we were meeting up with some of our roll call members at Havana Central for mothers day dinner..

IMG_7501_zps56c962f6.jpg

We head back downstairs and guess what??... we walk some more to Havana Central for Mothers day dinner..pass times square where it just lights up everything!! So crazy..

IMG_7502_zps0f432b4e.jpg

Now I apologize I did not get any pictures of Havana Central but hey I can get pictures off Google!

havanacentral_zps193212cc.jpg

---It's all about location baby!!!

havanacentralsign_zps89cea614.jpg

havanacentralinterior_zps52a9db4e.jpg

---We got to sit upstairs which was nice cause the live music was a tad loud and we wanted to be able to have conversation. Loved the vibe in this restaurant and the food was delicious as well.

After an outstanding dinner at Havana Central.. we had planned for drinks later that evening for roll call members which we ended up calling ourselves The Splendidos (named by yours truly)... I had gotten a facebook message that people were at McGees. Alrighty then.. lets pay our bill and waddle our happy full bellies outside.. and guess what... hey, lets walk off our dinner! YIPPEE!! ::ROLL EYES::..... so we went back down to 7th Ave where Times Square and started hoofin it to W 55th St where we then hung a left.... we reach our final stop before getting back to the hotel....

mcgeesmap_zpscbddce33.jpg

mcgees_zpsfbcf1f5b.jpg

After one more drink and meeting some more Splendidos we were ready to head back to our hotel.... When we left McGees we said "lets get a cab"..... BEST $5.00 CAB RIDE EVER!!!!!!!

EVER.

Once we get back to our hotel....demolished my canoli that was patiently waiting for me, showered and racked out as soon as my head hit the pillow.. We were all exhausted from a full day of being awesome tourists.. it's hard work you know!!!

I slept like a baby and had sweet dreams of DOD's and Warm Chocolate Melting Cake... Finally.. tomorrow... EMBARKATION DAY!!!! WOOHOO!!! (I know you are probably thinking... THANK GOD WOMAN!!!!... hehehe)

Thank you so much! I kept teetering whether i wanted to write this review or not.. but i figured, what the heck.. if people dont like it, i will at least have it for me to remember. also i am trying to type fast and remember stuff while it is still semi fresh in my head.. attempted to take notes during the cruise on my tablet but imagine that, i would fall asleep while i was typing... i was one busy bee on this cruise.. :)

on the flights.... OMG.. no matter when or where we go there is always something... always.. i try to take it with a grain of salt but when you are delayed in your home airport and dont even leave on time.... kind of irritating.... i wish the bar was open that early i would have thrown some baileys in my coffee.. lol.. it was 5 o clock somewhere and i was trying to start my vacation! hehehe..

where about in oregon does your niece live? we are in southern oregon.. :D

Busy Bee :D I really know what you mean, that is my son when he is sailing. I am enjoying your review. I am here waiting for it. :):)

Busy Bee :D I really know what you mean' date=' that is my son when he is sailing. I am enjoying your review. I am here waiting for it. :):)[/quote']

why hello gambee's_mom!!! I always tell myself I am just going to do a lot of balcony sitting, relaxing and lots of time on the lido deck.. WHO AM I KIDDING?!! LOL... I just love doing stuff and meeting new people..

I started this review and the other morning I looked that gambee had posted his Breeze review... and started reading of course.. then I looked at mine which is no match for his as where I was excited to have 2000 views, woohoo!!... he is something special momma and you are very blessed. :o maybe someday our paths will cross but for now it will just have to be through CC.

I plan on doing some more today as I am excited to FINALLY post embarkation day. Thank you for following as I am no pro on writing reviews as you could notice with my photobucket fiasco..

This is great! I had been considering NYC with my kids before a cruise - the pre-cruise portion has my "wheels" turning! Knowing where to stay is huge - what a perfect location!

Thanks!

Hello there and welcome to my review! Oh goody I am glad my pre-cruise portion can help someone.. seriously I did a lot of reading, researching, asking questions, obsessed planning for pre-trip. But I have fun with it.

Now I know there are some other hotels near where I stayed that might have been cheaper than the Holiday Inn Express, but I have that reward points thingy that you get staying at properties.. plus I just really like Holiday Inn Expresses cause I always have great service and rooms are nice and clean. Granted I needed like 5 drinks after booking and paying for the hotel but in the end I loved the location... it was close to everything and mainly the Pier.

Any other questions feel free to ask and if I have an answer, great.. if not I can give you my 2 cents (cause that is all I have left after this vacation..lol) and try to help out the best I can. :D

thanks for reading and following along!

Great review so far! I'll be on the Splendor in August. ...can't wait! Keep it coming......subscribed!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks so much!! yay another subscriber! You live in new york area? or do you have to fly 3000 miles like we did to get there? only downside not living near a port...grrr... airfare..:eek:

Love the pre-cruise days in NYC. I'll be checking back in to see more review

oh my goodness!! hello wrigley!! thanks for stopping by! :D

I am working on some more today and hope to be posting later... I love reading your reviews!!! you and your dad are so adorable that you get to cruise together. hope you are having a great day!

Yay! A Splendor review! I'm booked on her for the 2nd leg of the repositioning in November and while on the 5/4 Pride sailing, I booked the 1-time Bermuda cruise, too.

Looking forward to ship photos. I love the Spirit class and am even a big fan of the Fantasy class. Conquest-class ships are a bit too much for me, so I'm wondering how I'll like Splendor. I'm sure I'll have wonderful time. I am sad that she doesn't have the upstairs Fish and Chips like the Conquest-class. I love that place for lunch!!

Anyway, keep it coming!!