Ideas to spend a few hours in Ford Lauderder

We have an afternoon flight after the cruise and need some ideas to spend a few hours in Ft. Lauderdale. We do not like to rent a car in the holidays.

There are lockers near the port / airport?

Thanks!

You can take a post-cruise excursion, sponsored by the cruiseline. They will hold your luggage on the tour bus, and will drop you off at the airport at the end of the excursion.

One of the best excursions we've ever taken is the Airboat tour of the Everglades.

We spent a couple of days in FL before our cruise, one of the days doing the water taxi which I would recommend. The main stop is very close to the cruise terminal. Can't help you with storage. We did a non cruise airboat tour and felt it was a waste of time and money, but we did enjoy Everglades National Park (you'll need a car for that). We did the airboat tours in the pm which could have been part of the problem (heat keeps the wildlife away).

I have been investigating the same thing for our Feb cruise. I knew we wanted to use the water taxi to sightsee, but was not sure what to do with our bags. I found this, "Baggage Storage: After disembarking from your cruise, trust Bags To Go personnel to transport your luggage from the port to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport where your bags will be safely secured at the airport. "

Bags to go have a vehicle right at the port. You give them your luggage and it is stored at the airport until your flight. I think it was just $9.95 a bag and you have until 5:30 pm to pick it up. Still have to figure out what the closest water taxi stop is to the airport. The Florida departure threads are fantastic if you haven't already checked them out!

Lauri

Edited by lah66

Better yet, use the RCI luggage valet program. It is only $20 per person, no matter how many bags you may have. You put the luggage out in the hallway the night before departure and you don't see it again until you arrive at your home airport. It is a great service.

Better yet, use the RCI luggage valet program. It is only $20 per person, no matter how many bags you may have. You put the luggage out in the hallway the night before departure and you don't see it again until you arrive at your home airport. It is a great service.

Is that available on all ships, all sailings, all airlines? I do not think it is advertised very well! I agree, that would be the easiest route to go if it is available. I am going to investigate it myself! Thanks 39August!

Lauri

I have been investigating the same thing for our Feb cruise. I knew we wanted to use the water taxi to sightsee, but was not sure what to do with our bags. I found this, "Baggage Storage: After disembarking from your cruise, trust Bags To Go personnel to transport your luggage from the port to Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport where your bags will be safely secured at the airport. "

Bags to go have a vehicle right at the port. You give them your luggage and it is stored at the airport until your flight. I think it was just $9.95 a bag and you have until 5:30 pm to pick it up. Still have to figure out what the closest water taxi stop is to the airport. The Florida departure threads are fantastic if you haven't already checked them out!

Lauri

Closest water taxi stop to the Airport is under the 17th street bridge. You will still need a taxi from there.

RCI luggage valet program:

Q: What ships are offering the service?

A: We are currently working on having this program available on all ships. Currently, the program is offered on sailings 4 nights and longer disembarking in the following ports:

Ft. Lauderdale

Miami

Port Canaveral

Seattle

Seward

Thanks Darkwolfe for the water taxi stop information! We will take a taxi to the stop under the 17th st bridge! Easy enough!

Lauri

Is that available on all ships, all sailings, all airlines? I do not think it is advertised very well! I agree, that would be the easiest route to go if it is available. I am going to investigate it myself! Thanks 39August!

Lauri

Your flight has to be after 11 am. That usually excludes us so I haven't looked in a while, but in the past they have not done all airlines. Specially didn't do USair but maybe with the merger they do because they did American.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know what water taxi stop is closest to the airport but I can tell you that there is one right near the entrance to the port. I recommend the water taxi. Even though it's technically a "taxi," it is a nice sight seeing thing to do and the people operating the boat will talk throughout it and tell you what you are seeing like who's famous houses or yacht's, etc.

I'll have some additional water taxi material after we get back from the trip on June 19th. Might be the weekend before I get the review started, but we are planning to get a water taxi day pass for the day before the cruise.

I should have a good number of pictures to peruse from the taxi routes. Hopefully that will be of use for those folks that are making plans. :)