Category 4J?

talkorpi

I'm going on the Triumph on June 26th. We are in room 1003. I've only been on one other cruise, which we had a balcony. How does category 4J feel compared to a balcony? Is the rumor that you have to have your blinds closed at night true? Since there are ony three other cabins at the forward panorama deck, will the forward balcony be fairly quiet?

Thanks in advance,

:cool: talkorpi :cool:

We has a 4J room on the Valor in March. It was under the bridge. We did get a letter than said curtains must be closed at night in order not to Interfere with navigations. The steward would close the curtains when he did turndown. The deck was vey close and it is neat to go out on when going into and out of ports. There were no chairs on it and we were told that due to wind, chairs were not allowed on the front decks. I have read that chairs are allowed on the front decks of some ships (Breeze for 1). There is a wooden bench on the deck. I like the light that comes in and it is priced as the top interior room. We did not feel much more motion in the 4J. We felt they were a good value and would book one again.

Edited by kteachcruiser52

I've been in a 4J twice on the Liberty (1003 & 1004). I really liked the location and the size of the room. Though other than one chair, there was no seating area. It was nice having the ocean view and the secret deck which was little used, in front of us.

We never were told to keep our curtains drawn at night, but honestly, you want to simply because if a cabin light is on, everyone can see inside at night.

Can people see in during the day?

No. But at night, the room is quite clearly visible to people on the forward deck. We made a habit of arranging the curtains, and having the manly man (me) test the visibility from the sekrit deck.

Tuck and fold as necessary, retest, repeat.

Other than the potential lack of privacy, are the rooms excellent?

Yes

Edited by HeyYouKidsGetOffMyLawn
mumble futz

We did a 4J on the Glory and loved it. We're scouting out another one for our next cruise. They close your windows at night, but the "secret decks" are mostly empty all the time. I'd just make sure you check what's above and below you (I'm not familiar with the Triumph's layout--you could have a very early morning if you're under the gym or something.

I am in the minority here, we had a 4j on the first leg of our b2b on the victory and did not enjoy it at all. Thankfully i surprised my hubby with a balcony for the second leg!! He was very grateful !! We found that there was just too much movement for us. Im not sure if it was just because of the movement or because we really love our balcony's. Wont cruise without one ever again.

We booked a 4J on the Valor for our 2012 cruise, and we loved it! They did ask us to close the curtains, to not let the light of the room interfere with their navigation, but that was not a problem for us; not much to see outside at night. The 'secret' deck was almost empty all the time, only the people from the 4J staterooms were on there.

We booked a 4J on the Glory for 2015 again. Love the daylight in my room for an inside price!

We normally sail in a mid-ship balcony cabin but tried a 4J this past January on Freedom. We loved it. It's true that you may feel a bit more movement when you are in a cabin at the front of the ship compared to mid ship, but it wasn't enough to bother us. We loved the fact that we had a window and also that the "secret" deck was just steps away. Very few people ever used that front deck. For the price we paid it was a total steal and we couldn't pass it up. I'd definitely sail in one again if we ever had the chance. :)

We've booked our first 4J for a 21 day cruise. I hope we don't regret it. We've never been bothered by motion before, but, then again, we've never done this itinerary before. Since we will be in the cabin for 21 days, I wonder if the room steward could get us more seating. I guess it can't hurt to ask. Has anyone tried this?

We've booked our first 4J for a 21 day cruise. I hope we don't regret it. We've never been bothered by motion before, but, then again, we've never done this itinerary before. Since we will be in the cabin for 21 days, I wonder if the room steward could get us more seating. I guess it can't hurt to ask. Has anyone tried this?

Not sure what you mean by this... do you mean seating on the "secret" deck or seating in your cabin? :confused:

You most definitely can see in the cabin, both day and night if your curtains are not closed. You have two sets, one that are nets and the other are the heavy drapes for night. If you are dressing after a shower in the daytime close both sets and at night always keep both sets closed. During the daytime if you're just vegging keep the nets closed.

Depending on the time of year and which way you're going the movement and pounding can vary. Going south into the normal winds you will get banging and noise, going north things are a lot smoother.

I just wish more people would not book these cabins, I'm tired of not ever getting a price drop.

We had one of these cabins while on the Valor in January. Ours was one deck below the bridge which was really nice because the crew is very quiet! The location is also great because you don't get a lot of people walking the hallway.

I did learn the hard way that they wash the bridge windows every morning around 7...

We had a 4j on one of our Splendor cruises, deck 9. I liked it for the most part, but we hit some rough weather heading up from Puerto Vallarta. There was a lot of motion in the ocean but that wasn't so bad. Kind of an adventure. The issue was the wind hitting the fire extinguisher holder out there on the secret deck right outside our window. It slamming and banging so much we couldn't sleep. We called guest services, but I don't think they ever even when out there. When we couldn't stand it anymore, when went out there (after struggling just to get the door open) and tried wedging anything we could in there to keep it from banging. The wind was fierce. After 2 attempts we were successful, no thanks to guest services. Please note people mention how nice it is to be out there coming in and out of port...when underway it is much too breezy and this night it was just ridiculous. It might be nice on a sea day when the ship isn't moving at too great a clip, but we found it too breezy while underway.

So far, the comments all seem to be favorable for your selection. You will especially like it when entering ports. We have booked 4J's about half a dozen times. Do not plan on spending much time "out front" when the ship is traveling at normal cruising speeds - too windy for very long. If the weather is also windy, expect some noise from the slamming door to the front deck If it's really windy, the doors will be locked. You will be right under the spa & might get some noise from the treadmills. We have heard complaints of movement, but I have never noticed any problems. I think it has more to do with your own sensitivities. However, you will be high on the ship and more likely to feel it than on a lower deck. Enjoy your cabin and report back.

Not sure what you mean by this... do you mean seating on the "secret" deck or seating in your cabin? :confused:

Perhaps they meant more cabin seating as some 4J,s only have a small chair and the one under the dresser with no couch, 21 days would be a long time with only one small chair and the bed to sit on:)

So far, the comments all seem to be favorable for your selection. You will especially like it when entering ports. We have booked 4J's about half a dozen times. Do not plan on spending much time "out front" when the ship is traveling at normal cruising speeds - too windy for very long. If the weather is also windy, expect some noise from the slamming door to the front deck If it's really windy, the doors will be locked. You will be right under the spa & might get some noise from the treadmills. We have heard complaints of movement, but I have never noticed any problems. I think it has more to do with your own sensitivities. However, you will be high on the ship and more likely to feel it than on a lower deck. Enjoy your cabin and report back.

Strange as the only time I have ever been affected by ships motion was low deck and midship in high seas! I had to return to my high deck cabin near the front where I felt fine!

I have a 4J on the Dream in June so I will take sea sick meds just in case as I have never had a cabin that far forward!

Perhaps they meant more cabin seating as some 4J,s only have a small chair and the one under the dresser with no couch, 21 days would be a long time with only one small chair and the bed to sit Yon:)

Yes, that's what I meant, either a couch or an armchair would help.

Yes, that's what I meant, either a couch or an armchair would help.

Ok.. now I understand. :) To me, that was the only real disappointment with the 4J-- we really had NO seating area except for the one chair that sits in front of the credenza/dresser thing. We are used to having the couch or loveseat in the cabin. To be honest, there really wouldn't have been any room to put another chair in our cabin on Freedom, but maybe some of the other 4J's are more spacious.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. I'm a little nervous, I'm only 14 and I'm traveling with two 65 year olds. I don't want seating to be an issue. Do you think there would be room for me to move the trundle bed that I will be sleeping on against a wall to use as a sort of makeshift couch during the day?

Edited by talkorpi