Dressing up for general MDR dinner?

Velvetwater

So, does that mean on non-formal nights, it is ok for men to wear shorts in MDR (not gym shorts, but nicer khaki shorts)?

We're taking our 1st carnival cruise in july (5 nt out of charleston) so i've been curious about this.

You would be very safe wearing nice shorts on the non-formal nights. Even on the "formal" nights you'll see the entire spectrum of clothing but I personally have never seen anything outlandish on those nights.

For my wife and I...we wear business casual on the non-formal nights (Dockers and a nice shirt for me and skirt and blouse for my wife) and on the "formal" nights I'll wear a sport coat (with tie) and DW will wear a dress.

With the crazy baggage fees on airlines I can certainly understand if someone chooses to dress down for dinner. My world will continue to rotate if someone wears nice shorts and shirt on the "formal" nights.

Regular nights in the MDR, I will usually wear some nice comfy linen pants and either a polo or a button-down hawaiian shirt (usually an understated print, not a real loud one).

My wife will wear a casual-type dress or maybe a maxi skirt and casual-type shirt.

Edited by CoconutJD

Prior to the cruise, I pick out my wife's dresses to wear during formal and casual nights. Then she picks out my matching outfits. It is nice to get dressed up, even if business-casual since we don't do it often at home. Yes, it means we bring another suitcase (we bring 2 total + carryon) but I think it is worth it. I love it when my wife dresses up, especially in the clothes I've bought for her and love seeing her in.

Steve

My DH and I enjoy having a nice dinner and then an evening out and about on the ship on both casual and formal nights. To us, it feels more special to have made a little extra effort to look our best. Plus, it reminds me what a handsome guy I married! ;)

I like to wear a casual skirt, summery dress, or khaki capris and a nice top. We don't eat out in nice restaurants at home and I work from home, so I rarely get the chance to dress up. On our last cruise, I noticed more people wearing jeans or very casual shorts and t-shirts. The only thing that bothers me is the women and teen girls who think short shorts should be worn in any restaurant, because I'm embarrassed for them.

I have been on several cruises, all of them with friends or family members, but never my husband. After many years of marriage, he has finally agreed to an Alaskan cruise on the Miracle in July. I am beyond thrilled, however the dress code has been a huge issue for him. He is a farmer and wears overalls. He has work overalls and “dress overalls”. After months of discussion I managed to get him to a store and buy a pair of jeans for formal night. Make no mistake – this IS formal for him. I would hope that people in the MDR on elegant night would have some understanding and compassion for my wonderful and hardworking husband. Oh, and when you see him on deck on the July 8 cruise from Seattle be sure to compliment him on his new “dress overalls”.

Edited by cruzrdi

I have been on several cruises, all of them with friends or family members, but never my husband. After many years of marriage, he has finally agreed to an Alaskan cruise on the Miracle in July. I am beyond thrilled, however the dress code has been a huge issue for him. He is a farmer and wears overalls. He has work overalls and “dress overalls”. After months of discussion I managed to get him to a store and buy a pair of jeans for formal night. Make no mistake – this IS formal for him. I would hope that people in the MDR on elegant night would have some understanding and compassion for my wonderful and hardworking husband. Oh, and when you see him on deck on the July 8 cruise from Seattle be sure to compliment him on his new “dress overalls”.

LOL! I love this post and can only hope no one makes a snarky comment to him. There was a post on John Heald's Facebook page a few day ago where a woman walked up to a man who was wearing a cowboy hat in the MDR and literally yelled at him. Seems the guy was, in fact, a cowboy and never removed his hat until he was in bed. Just wasn't done! John, to his credit, defended him. So, who has the most "class"...the cowboy enjoying his dinner and wearing his hat or the woman who felt a need to berate him at his table in front of his family?

On our last cruise, my husband forgot to pack his dress shoes. Tennis shoes did NOT go with his formal wear, so he wore jeans, his tennies and a dress shirt. He was welcomed with open arms. Alaska cruises are more casual, so your husband will be fine.

P.S. My husband promises to start packing using a list. This isn't his first forgotten item. :rolleyes:

The guy of the couple who we made good friends with last year wore pristine converse with his tie,shirt,trousers and jacket on formal night as it was his thing. No-one batted an eyelid and it looked good tbh....this was the Baltics.

The bridal party wore converse for their wedding and after seeing the photos they looked great too.

I agree with others, it is lovely to get ready and make it an event. I love to dine out a lot at home and always like the leisurely getting ready part. I like to have a shower and do my hair and make up whilst in my robe then put my outfit on for dinner whilst listening to the ocean.

I have a very mix and match wardrobe...all of my slacks, capri's, shorts and skirts are solid color and go with all of the tops that I bring...On casual nights I shower and put on slacks and a top.....very casual. Then the next day I wear the top that I wore to dinner with either capri's or shorts.......

Occasionally I will wear the capri outfit to dinner and then again the next day.

^^^this^^^

Sounds exactly how I plan, pack, and dress for a cruise. :)

Usually first and last nights we are more casual or if back from a port later in the day. For other nights DH wears polo and khakis and I wear dressy capris or dress pants with a nice blouse.

I change every night before dinner. I like to dress a bit for dinner, it just makes it a much more special evening for me. I like a finer dining experience and how can I expect carnival to provide that if I show up in jeans.

On our last cruise, my husband forgot to pack his dress shoes. Tennis shoes did NOT go with his formal wear, so he wore jeans, his tennies and a dress shirt. He was welcomed with open arms. Alaska cruises are more casual, so your husband will be fine.

P.S. My husband promises to start packing using a list. This isn't his first forgotten item. :rolleyes:

We had a minor crisis at home before we left for a long trip that included a cruise. In the craziness, DH, who always dresses nice for the MDR, forgot the suitcase with his suit, dress shirts and pants, and dress shoes. Fortunately, he had a couple polo shirts and khaki shorts, bought a pair of pants, and kept his tennis shoes hidden under the table. After that, I'm more forgiving of odd formal night wear, because you really never know what might have happened. :D

I dress for dinner, on formal night I do wear a fancy dress, but the rest of the time, I wear a comfortable dress for dinner. I used to pack something to wear during the day, dinner garb, and then something comfy to change into after dinner, now I just wear a comfortable dress, and comfy sandals to dinner and I leave the rest of the stuff at home.:) This way I feel like I fit in at all the other venues.

I do admit that one night now on each cruise, I eat up on the Lido, I don't like the food as much as in the MDR, but I just enjoy not doing anything. I think this next cruise I will actually skip dinner one night, order room service, and watch a movie, how decadent is that? I never get to do that at home.;)

I never really thought of it at "dressing" for dinner. We wear what we typically wear out to a nice restaurant at home. Hubby wears nice pair of pants and collared shirt. I would wear a dress with dress sandals. We have never worn shorts into the MDR for dinner. But that is just us. It's a date night every night on a cruise!!!

We're usually in bathing suits and covered in sunscreen, or all sweaty from a day in port, so a shower is always in order just before dinner... :eek:

So if it's not formal night I'll usually put on a pair of crop pants and a nice top since I'm now squeaky clean! DH usually just wears long pants and a polo shirt... sometimes really nice (long, more formal) Bermuda style shorts. Nothing fancy, just what feels comfortable for us both.

I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting there in my bathing suit and wrap, or the yucky clothes I wore all day ashore, but what I put on for dinner stays on for the evening on non-formal days, so it better be comfy too!

Edited by Shaded Lady

Just off the Pride and where were all you nicely dressed people? We are used to RC and Princess which discourage shorts ar dinner. Although Carnival States no basketball shorts, tanks on men cut offs, and beach shoes, they were all over the MDR at dinner. I did see one couple on elegant night turned away. They were both in casual shorts and sneakers. They were indignant and yelled we just eat upstairs. Can they not read or do they think it doesn't apply to them? My DH wears docker type pants and a polo and I wear pants! capris or a sundress with a cardigan. I saw everything on casual night from men with dress pants and jackets and woman in nice dresses to cut offs with tanks on men and crop tops on women. I've never seen so many middle age men with tank tops and t shirt with sayings on them. People with stained and dirty clothes. You don't have to be wealthy to dress decently, I find great stuff at target. The dress I wore on elegant night was$14.99 at Ross. If you just follow the guidelines you will be fine and if you like dressing up a little more that's great. This is IMHO, please don't flame. Just trying to give an honest answer.

We were in the Pride last year, and that was our third Carnival cruise, and never once did we see tank tops, basketball shorts or rubber flip flops. Guess we are lucky

If we are going to the MDR we always dress for dinner. Over the last few years this means a dress and heels for me and a shirt and tie for my husband.

For the first 10 or so cruises things were definitely dressier. My husband would pack his navy suit, his tux plus his white dinner jacket and sometimes another suit and an alternate pair of tan dress pants to pair with the navy jacket. I'd have a dressy dress or black slacks and dressy top. Elegant nights were always a full length formal.

Our last cruise was a 16 night cruise with 2 elegant nights and a Hawaiian themed night. He packed his tux and white dinner jacket with 1 tuxedo shirt, his black pants, navy pants and 7 long sleeved dress shirts, and about 9 ties. He also packed about 6 Hawaiian print shirts that he wore for evening or day wear. He wore his khaki's on the plane and had them to wear with his tropical print shirts. The evenings of the days that we were in port were much more casual feeling in the MDR. I had taken a LBD that I mixed and matched various scarves, jackets, vests etcetera plus about 3 other dresses including 1 full length formal.

Overall ... if we are going to the MDR we change for the evening. Neither of us feel right going ito dinner without making the effort to clean up and change clothes.

We always change for dinner in the dining room. My daughter and I like to dress up a little. My husband dresses up a bit, but mainly for me and not because he really wants to. Our rule is no shorts or jeans. On nonformal nights - cute sundress for our daughter, dressy capris with a dressy shirt/top for me, and khakis for my husband and son with a button down shirt. Now, on formal nights, we do get dressed up - more elegant and such.

Usually first and last nights we are more casual or if back from a port later in the day. For other nights DH wears polo and khakis and I wear dressy capris or dress pants with a nice blouse.

This would be welcome on any night..congrats..Dennis

I dress for dinner, on formal night I do wear a fancy dress, but the rest of the time, I wear a comfortable dress for dinner. I used to pack something to wear during the day, dinner garb, and then something comfy to change into after dinner, now I just wear a comfortable dress, and comfy sandals to dinner and I leave the rest of the stuff at home.:) This way I feel like I fit in at all the other venues.

I do admit that one night now on each cruise, I eat up on the Lido, I don't like the food as much as in the MDR, but I just enjoy not doing anything. I think this next cruise I will actually skip dinner one night, order room service, and watch a movie, how decadent is that? I never get to do that at home.;)

Now that they have changed the menu for the second formal night we never go anymore..Dennis

We, like many of you, we always shower and dress for dinner. If we want to stay casual, we will do dinner on lido deck or call room service. While we just feel more comfortable dressing up to go to the MDR, we understand that others may not agree and respect their right to enjoy their vacation the way they see fit.