San Francisco - Chinatown lunch

Faircliff

This is probably a huge question… with a million diverse answers… but can anyone suggest a good mid-range or inexpensive Chinese restaurant in San Francisco’s Chinatown? We will be there in September with an overnight cruise stop on Grand Princess and thought we might like to break up our day (and trip on the HOP-ON-HOP-OFF bus) with a lunch stop in Chinatown. Preferrably on the healthy side and not Dim Sum.

We really like Bow Hon (850 Grand Ave).

If you are looking for Americanized food, this is probably NOT the place to go. Very traditional with specialties like rice pot and seafood in black bean sauce.

This isn't PF Changs, but I have always enjoyed the food.

If I could figure out how to post a picture here, I could show you some of the dishes.

Bob

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the answers. Yes, we definitely do not want Americanized food. We live in Victoria BC and there are some good Chinese restaurants here. The last time I was in San Francisco was about 35 years ago or more… At that time friends took me to a small hole in the wall restaurant one street down from Grant called the HUNAN. It was all the rave but I doubt that it is still there, and knowing that it was so popular I am sure it has expanded to something quite different. The owner operator also put out some cookbooks.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We really like Bow Hon (850 Grand Ave).

If you are looking for Americanized food, this is probably NOT the place to go. Very traditional with specialties like rice pot and seafood in black bean sauce.

This isn't PF Changs, but I have always enjoyed the food.

If I could figure out how to post a picture here, I could show you some of the dishes.

Bob

I can't figure out pix either. I let Sis do that.

Here's the TripAdvisor review of Bow Hon. It has pictures.:D

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60713-d531674-Reviews-Bow_Hon-San_Francisco_California.html

You're getting suggestions that may or may not meet your expectations. There are many (and I mean MANY) restaurants in S.F. some have been there for years, and others are relatively new. Since you won't be there long enough to try too many. I would suggest one that has been around for some time and has an excellent reputation:

Empress Of China, 838 Grant Ave. right in the heart of Chinatown.

Having lived in San Francisco for some years in the past, we have made it a habit to recommend the Empress to those whose time is limited - and don't want to experiment.