Silhouette - any free food poolside?

Travelergirl

Jeesh - I am not negative - I am trying to find out as much as I can about a cruise and cruise line I have not been on for many years. Why read negativity into questions?

There are many differences on these ships. For instance Zumba on Princess is free. It is good to know they charge for something here (nickel and diming? - more like dollars!).

I am trying to find out if there are free F&B items poolside since they charge for things other lines give you. I have already found out from one pleasant/helpful respondent that I will get free gelato and pastries and cakes. That is good to know. That's also good to know the group we are going with will be able to let their kids stuff their faces with free pizzas and burgers.

Negative? Nope - just thorough. No need to berate someone who has legitimate questions - no need to berate anyone. Sounds like you have stock in the line instead of being just a former passenger.

I asked for advice and help. I have been getting it. [As my grandson would say: So there - ha ha]

Right, you're not negative..............:rolleyes:

Why is it all these kinds of posts/threads come from people with all kinds of "knowledge" but usually have less than 10 posts on CC????? Makes one think about motives....................:rolleyes:

And I love the grandson quote "so there...ha ha" Are you serious?

The OP is long gone!! Last seen the 1st!

She mentioned on another thread that she brings her own toilet paper on her cruises because the "ship's t-paper is not gentle enough". Perhaps she's been shopping for rolls with just the right amount of softness for her delicate tushie? :)

She also said she started this thread after she "got that idea from reading a review of Silhouette". Apparently she interpreted from that single review that everything on Celebrity had to be purchased separately. So, without doing any more research she had convinced herself that "It looks like Celebrity Silhouette charges for every item available", that Celebrity has "exorbitant fees" for decent food, that "Celebrity is nickel and diming on everything", no wait, it's even worse: "nickel and diming? - more like dollars!".

Just proof that in some cases that old saying of "Ignorance is bliss" sometimes doesn't apply. Another example of someone believing foolish things because of inadequate research. :rolleyes:

Edited by swsfrail

I have really enjoyed this thread !

e fact that certain members can get a free scoop of Gellato per cruise ...seems an expensive way to get the stuff. But it seems I can eat for free and go to the MDR and then straight to the buffet and also get a burger and fries if I want. For $7 I can eat all day (and night?) in a cafe and I may even get offered a reduction in a specialty restaurant (they do seem to be over priced tho as I often eat out in the UK and do not pay $40)

Do people weigh more at the end of the cruise?

In the interest of accuracy see red below:

Travelergirl -- Fear not!

Celebrity has MORE free food options and MORE extra charge options than Princess. Just because there are available options for an extra charge does not mean that Celebrity is lacking in free food options.

No extra charge options: Here's my list of no extra charge options available on Silhouette and whether there is a Princess equivalent with my opinion about which is better:

- Main Dining Room (Celebrity has the edge)

- Blu (This is the MDR for Aqua Class guests. It's not open to regular, nonsuite or nonaqua spa guests).

- Buffet (Celebrity is clearly better on S-Class at breakfast and lunch with much more extensive offerings that vary more than what's available on Princess. Celebrity's dinner offerings at the buffet are not as extensive as Princess -- which offers a dumbed down version of what's in the MDR -- but is still good)

- Aquaspa Café (Most of the items are free though there are some items that require an upcharge. It's located in the solarium and there's no Princess equivalent)

- Poolside -- Burgers and hotdogs -- I don't know how Celebrity manages to make these taste so good when most other lines make theirs taste like a school cafeteria but there you go. Edge to Celebrity

- Pizza -- On Celebrity it's available in the buffet from 11am until very late. On Princess, it's by the pool. I thought this was one of the few areas where Princess had the edge.

- Ice Cream -- A huge edge to Celebrity. It's available free from 11 until late in an ice cream parlor at the buffet. There's both hard ice cream in many flavors and soft serve as well. There's candy and toppings to make a sundae. On Princess, there's free ice cream for 1 hour in the afternoon in two flavors in a makeshift table in the buffet. Otherwise, there's pay ice cream available out by the pool.Not true -there is free soft serve all day and late into the evening near the pool on Princess Also, on Celebrity, you can get ice cream from room service at any time.

- Café al Bacio -- Breakfast pastries and elegant sweet snacks available all day. The coffee is extra charge, the pastries are free. Princess has something similar. The International Cafe on Princess has more extensive offerings - for free- than al Bacio

- Room Service -- Celebrity lets you order from the MDR menu when it's open and have it delivered to your room. Princess lets you do that if you have a balcony BUT CHARGES YOU FOR IT. NOT TRUE - Room Service is free for all cabins 24 hours a day on Princess!

- Drinks -- Celebrity has a more extensive list of no extra charge juices and soft drinks. I think the no extra charge drinks and juices are similar on both lines and neither one has any gratis soft drinks! Moreover, all of its coffee is brewed coffee. The only place that you can get brewed coffee on Princess is at the International Café and they charge for it. The new Royal and Regal Princess have brewed coffee for free in the new extensive buffet that puts even the S class buffet to shame.

Extra Charge Options. Both Princess and Celebrity have extra charge dining. Celebrity has more of them and the list price can be more than Princess on a few of them. ( $25 pp on Princess, $45/$50/pp on Celebrity) Two things to keep in mind: First, in no case is there a Princess equivalent that is FREE. Generally, there just simply isn't a Princess equivalent. Second, and here's a well-known secret, Celebrity will discount them if they're not selling well. I've never paid full price. Here's the list:

- Murano

- Tuscan Grille

- Qsine

- The Lawn Club

- The Porch $5

- Bistro on Five $5

- Gellateria (but you can get one free scoop)

Another Tip to Get "Free" Gelato. Yes, it's true that if you are a Captain's Club member, you now get a coupon for one free scoop of Gelato. The gelato is excellent but so is the free ice cream so I never really bothered to pay for the gelato until . . . I found out about this trick. I usually get the Premium Alcoholic Beverage package. With that package or the Premium Non-Alcoholic Beverage package you can get an Affogato from Café al Bacio. An affogato is a scoop of gelato (any flavor)and a shot of espresso.

So Travelergirl, here's my bottom line: Celebrity doesn't nickel and dime you any more than Princess. You'll find subtle differences between the two lines but they are more alike than they are different. I think (overall), you'll find Celebrity to feel less crowded, more comfortable (especially the bedding), with better cabin design, and better food. If you don't like it after your Silhouette cruise, Princess will be happy to welcome you back with open arms. They offer a good product, just not as much to my taste as Celebrity. Enjoy your cruise and stop expecting the worst!!!

Not trying to start an argument - just thought the comparison ought to be accurate.

And, also in the interests of accuracy.....

(The veggie burgers at the pool grill on Celebrity are WAY better than the veggie burgers on Princess. )

Edited by chamima