Port security

Have the cruise ports started using the body scanners like at the airport, or just a walk through metal detector? Are the metal detectors hyper sensitive like at the airport where bra hooks can set them off? A couple years ago I still had my cruise card on a lanyard on my neck and even that little bit set off the metal detectors at LAX!

We're leaving from long beach later this week.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Long Beach uses standard metal detectors and wands. My bra hooks haven't set them off.

We sailed out of there as recent as two weeks ago.

Thanks!! I just hate getting groped because the machines aren't happy!! On our trip to Cancun last year, I deliberately avoided an underwire for our flight day, but then had to have "enhanced " screening because I had sparklies on my shirt that didn't work well with the body scanner. Not a big deal, but aggravating.

So just take keys and phones out of our pockets and walk through and hope for no beeps. :)

I've only been wanded once, and I have an artificial hip. Typically, no problems with metals. When I come back from diving, I have had them tell me to put my hand over my wrist dive computer as I walk through the scanning doorway so it wouldn't set off the alarm. It cost $1,500, so it doesn't come off until I'm back in the cabin.

The port scanners are more like what airports had years ago.

You leave shoes on, etc. Even if you set it off, they use a wand and do not "grope" you.

It is NOTHING like the airport. You can take liquids, etc.

The port scanners are more like what airports had years ago.

You leave shoes on, etc. Even if you set it off, they use a wand and do not "grope" you.

It is NOTHING like the airport. You can take liquids, etc.

Thanks! I didn't remember it being any big deal in the past, but stuff changes all the time.

Have the cruise ports started using the body scanners like at the airport, or just a walk through metal detector? Are the metal detectors hyper sensitive like at the airport where bra hooks can set them off? A couple years ago I still had my cruise card on a lanyard on my neck and even that little bit set off the metal detectors at LAX!

We're leaving from long beach later this week.

Completely off topic---

Ride the Colossus at Magic Mountain as it is being closed down in August.

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/legendary-rollercoaster--colossus--closing-in-august-182643881.html

Good memories on that coaster. When the park was empty they would have it go forwards and then backwards!

Completely off topic---

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/legendary-rollercoaster--colossus--closing-in-august-182643881.html

Good memories on that coaster. When the park was empty they would have it go forwards and then backwards!

Heard they are now running the Colossus backwards also. What a great wooden roller coaster.

We rode it and it was backwards. We weren't too wild about it backwards. We rode all the major rides at least once. But I guess I'm old because man I could feel my brain bouncing around in my head on some of the rides!

One pleasant surprise was that there is a trolley circuit that includes our hotel, so that made things a little easier.

We hit the road again tomorrow morning and head to long beach!!!

Completely off topic---

I am sure you were attempting to be helpful, but... off topic is still off topic. Folks here were talking about scanners at cruise ports.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=974207

I am sure you were attempting to be helpful, but... off topic is still off topic. Folks here were talking about scanners at cruise ports.

Yeah I know but there was a reason for this......

OP has been posting a lot about this trip to SoCal. Starting at Magic Mountain then onto Long a Beach for a cruise. This was the last place she posted and CC wouldn't let me start a new thread yesterday. ;)

If you read the OP's other threads, they are/were also going to Magic Mountain before the cruise.

SadieN - You beat me to it.

Edited by Rosefloater