Gastropub

Cruising89143

Of course this is correct. I dont recall ever reading any press release from the Co about this being an effort to keep cost down.

The only time I have any problem with a Co making a profit is when they lie, cheat, or steal to do it. Think, Enron.

I am not talking about the company's claims. I am talking about when posters say they are fine with all the pay to play options because it keeps the prices down. I am raising the point that in my opinion, based on cruises I have booked or looked into, the prices are NOT being kept 'down', not by a long shot. It is that argument that I don't buy.

Someone had also made the point that for this particular situation buying the food is optional- you can still enjoy the room and if you want to, the drinks without purchasing food. That is a point I had not considered and in my opinion does make this different then the specialty restaurant situation where to enter you had to pay (and in many people's opinions, pay dearly). I still hate the paradigm of all the pay options being offered as it makes me feel a bit like I am in the middle of a Kmart blue light special, or at the grocery store where the 'sale' signs are all over the place, but clearly it is here to stay so I guess I need to get over it:D

One point I was making is that IMHO base prices have been anything but consistent. Sailings I have looked into and/or booked are considerably higher than 2-3 years past. Maybe others are not finding that the case? It is true for me.

I think the only way to compare apples to apples is opening prices, but Celebrity has even figured out how to drive some of those up by limiting itineraries, to increase demand. I think it is very dependent on demand for each cruise.

Just remember, lots of things are way more expensive than 2-3 years ago, starting with some of the cruise line's non-wage costs including fuel and food.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I am not talking about the company's claims. I am talking about when posters say they are fine with all the pay to play options because it keeps the prices down. I am raising the point that in my opinion, based on cruises I have booked or looked into, the prices are NOT being kept 'down', not by a long shot. It is that argument that I don't buy.

Someone had also made the point that for this particular situation buying the food is optional- you can still enjoy the room and if you want to, the drinks without purchasing food. That is a point I had not considered and in my opinion does make this different then the specialty restaurant situation where to enter you had to pay (and in many people's opinions, pay dearly). I still hate the paradigm of all the pay options being offered as it makes me feel a bit like I am in the middle of a Kmart blue light special, or at the grocery store where the 'sale' signs are all over the place, but clearly it is here to stay so I guess I need to get over it:D

Once again I feel you are correct, it is posters saying this is to keep cost down, pure conjecture, opinion, ect. My wife enjoyed Cellar Masters on the Reflection, but the SOM was a wine snob to the inth degree, as was the beer guy in Michaels when I asked for information on the brews. We both are looking forward to how the staff is this year when we belly up in the GastroBar.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if someone has posted the answer to this already, but does anyone know if the Gastropub will end up being included in the Ultimate Specialty Package (unlimited specialty restaurants?).

My wife and I did that package on the Reflection and loved it. It would be great if this was included in that. It's good to hear that the drinks are covered by the Premium Package.

Thanks for all of the updates on this! We are very excited about this new venue.

Sorry if someone has posted the answer to this already, but does anyone know if the Gastropub will end up being included in the Ultimate Specialty Package (unlimited specialty restaurants?).

My wife and I did that package on the Reflection and loved it. It would be great if this was included in that. It's good to hear that the drinks are covered by the Premium Package.

Thanks for all of the updates on this! We are very excited about this new venue.

That's a good question... GastroBar charges a-la-carte per item and not just a fixed cover charge....

Wonder if anyone on Equinox now has also got the ultimate dining package and knows...

That's a good question... GastroBar charges a-la-carte per item and not just a fixed cover charge....

Wonder if anyone on Equinox now has also got the ultimate dining package and knows...

Hummmm, since it is not a true sit down dinning option, no reservations, ala carte, it would be hard to include the many choices in a package.

Anyone else just back from the Equinox that has thoughts on the GastroBar?

Terrific, well attended (well it was World Cup) and was open on boarding. Food was fine - not intended to be a fine dining establishment. No significant issues and a great add to Equinox.

MARK

Terrific, well attended (well it was World Cup) and was open on boarding. Food was fine - not intended to be a fine dining establishment. No significant issues and a great add to Equinox.

MARK

Mark, what did ya'll think about the wine and beer selections?

I think the only way to compare apples to apples is opening prices, but Celebrity has even figured out how to drive some of those up by limiting itineraries, to increase demand. I think it is very dependent on demand for each cruise.

Just remember, lots of things are way more expensive than 2-3 years ago, starting with some of the cruise line's non-wage costs including fuel and food.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Want to answer this comment with some specifics. Thought it would be appropriate to compare apples to apples. I am only doing this because I admit it drives me crazy when people think all these paying options are there to keep room costs down.

Two years ago, I took the exact cruise I am taking this fall with a comparable category cabin. I did some research on price increases for the items you mentioned below. (admittedly I did a quick internet search, I'm sure a more detailed search would modify my numbers somewhat)

I don't know exactly where Celebrity gets their fuel to compare prices. I used gasoline as a measure. The change in average gasoline prices in the US rose 5% from 2011 to 2014. The Consumer Price Index component related to food rose 2.6% from 2007 to 2012. Did not see stats up to this year, but prices have been fairly stable until very recently, when they admittedly are now rising quite a bit (but were not when I booked my upcoming cruise).

In the meantime, how have my Celebrity prices changed? My comparably priced cabin is costing me 50% more than two years ago. The cost of Bistro on Five has gone up 40% (yes, $2 doesn't seem like alot until you calculate the percentage). The cost of a specialty restaurant that has gone up from $40 to $45 is an increase of 11% (I do not have comparisons of exact prices now and then, but I am using this as what I think is a fair example). Again, $5 does not seem like much until you realize how high the percentage is. Should I consider that when I booked last time I did not have a free beverage package? Ok. But our usual liquor bill is less than $200 (we are Elite so get some drinks there), so even factoring that savings the increase is way more than inflation of fuel and food.

My point is not to evaluate whether the price is fair, or the value is worth it. Obviously I think it still is what I am willing to pay or I wouldn't book again. But I refuse to buy the argument postured by many posters on these boards that pay-to-play options are keeping prices down, as a general statement. The cruise line does not claim this, but I suspect they are very happy that for some reason people have come to this conclusion. I'm done venting now:)

Edited by phoenix_dream

Want to answer this comment with some specifics. Thought it would be appropriate to compare apples to apples. I am only doing this because I admit it drives me crazy when people think all these paying options are there to keep room costs down.

Two years ago, I took the exact cruise I am taking this fall with a comparable category cabin. I did some research on price increases for the items you mentioned below. (admittedly I did a quick internet search, I'm sure a more detailed search would modify my numbers somewhat)

I don't know exactly where Celebrity gets their fuel to compare prices. I used gasoline as a measure. The change in average gasoline prices in the US rose 5% from 2011 to 2014. The Consumer Price Index component related to food rose 2.6% from 2007 to 2012. Did not see stats up to this year, but prices have been fairly stable until very recently, when they admittedly are now rising quite a bit (but were not when I booked my upcoming cruise).

In the meantime, how have my Celebrity prices changed? My comparably priced cabin is costing me 50% more than two years ago. The cost of Bistro on Five has gone up 40% (yes, $2 doesn't seem like alot until you calculate the percentage). The cost of a specialty restaurant that has gone up from $40 to $45 is an increase of 11% (I do not have comparisons of exact prices now and then, but I am using this as what I think is a fair example). Again, $5 does not seem like much until you realize how high the percentage is. Should I consider that when I booked last time I did not have a free beverage package? Ok. But our usual liquor bill is less than $200 (we are Elite so get some drinks there), so even factoring that savings the increase is way more than inflation of fuel and food.

My point is not to evaluate whether the price is fair, or the value is worth it. Obviously I think it still is what I am willing to pay or I wouldn't book again. But I refuse to buy the argument postured by many posters on these boards that pay-to-play options are keeping prices down, as a general statement. The cruise line does not claim this, but I suspect they are very happy that for some reason people have come to this conclusion. I'm done venting now:)

Good post.

I agree with you.

(As a side note - the price of the specialty restaurants has actually gone up $10 since 2010. It was up $5 last year from the year before and an additional $5 this year.)

My comparably priced cabin is costing me 50% more than two years ago.

Should I consider that when I booked last time I did not have a free beverage package? Ok. But our usual liquor bill is less than $200 (we are Elite so get some drinks there)

Sometimes it just looks like they include a beverage package in the price you pay.

And the prices rise is mostly made up from this package.

Fine if you were going to purchase a package anyway.

Clearly these packages are so profitable X like everyone to have one.

As for Gastrobar (and Slush). Nice improvements over Cellar Masters.

Very busy when sporting events were on so will broaden the appeal.

The selection of beers was very good, but service can be swamped in the evenings.

Slush is a nice selection of drinks.

Edited by helpthejuggler

With the apparent successful test of the Gastro Pub on Equinox, can anybody speculate when could see this concept rolled out on other Celebrity ships? I'm hoping for soon.

Edited by Shake

With the apparent successful test of the Gastro Pub on Equinox, can anybody speculate when could see this concept rolled out on other Celebrity ships? I'm hoping for soon.

IMHO, (which wont get you nuttin but a rap on the knuckles with a ruler:D) they will prob wait till the Equinox comes back across and goes thru the fall season and see if good old American college and NFL football will be enought to draw like the World Cup did, before making any 'firm' decisions on expansion.

Now IMHO, you know what the gets:eek: making the space a bit different on the next re-do, then tweeking it yet for the next one, would give a reason for us, and others to sail around the fleet. Instead of having the same thing on every ship. Throw away the cookie cutter:D

Edited by wallie5446

IMHO, (which wont get you nuttin but a rap on the knuckles with a ruler:D) they will prob wait till the Equinox comes back across and goes thru the fall season and see if good old American college and NFL football will be enought to draw like the World Cup did, before making any 'firm' decisions on expansion.

Now IMHO, you know what the gets:eek: making the space a bit different on the next re-do, then tweeking it yet for the next one, would give a reason for us, and others to sail around the fleet. Instead of having the same thing on every ship. Throw away the cookie cutter:D

Yea looks like it's going to be a slow process that I would like to see move into light speed. Hope it doesn't move at the current Cellar Master pace. :rolleyes:

Edited by Shake

You can make the numbers whatever you like. What was the opening price of the cruise you booked, and the opening price this year? Some cruises are up, others are not. What are the perks you got then? OBC, Drink Package? What are the perks you received this time? Grats? OBC? Drink package? I'm guessing you have more OBC, but not enough to make up for the increase in the cabin.

Two years ago, prices were artificially low, due to economy and bad press for the cruising industry. You can still choose to cruise or not, as long as you book at the price that is 50% more, they'll keep raising the prices. It didn't seem to stop you from booking, so all it shows is the price is probably still too low.

I just shrug. Some years, on the same weekend, I get a hotel for $150, some years, same hotel, they have a group in-house and it costs me $350. This just happens. There are lots of pressures on pricing, and of course, they'll raise them until they can't fill the ships. I would too. You don't have to like the changes, but you still have choices, whether to cruise, or not to cruise, or whether to buy the add-ons. Isn't free market great?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Mark, what did ya'll think about the wine and beer selections?

"Ya'll" - isn't that where the mizzen is stepped aft of the rudder? :D

I was having such a good time that I didn't really do much cataloging. There were several draught beers but I confined my intake to the Newcastle Brown. There were two other UK draft selections, but I forget the names. They seemed popular. The bartenders said they would keep those three beers on draught even when back in the Caribbean - odd choice. Why not do some readily available US choices like Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam, or whatever. It's not like there aren't lots of great options when you are alongside the pier at Port Everglades. Nothing wrong with some variety, as long as you aren't forcing folks into 120 min IPA's or something like that.

There was quite a variety of bottled beer in the refrigerators, but I invoked the Fun Clause Exemption and paid little to no attention to what or how many :):).

There were quite a few wine choices, but since my DW sticks with Pinot Noir, we didn't pay much attention to the rest. Another failure due to the Fun Clause Exemption, so please accept our apologies.

There was also a good selection of spirits for cocktails, so if you stay within reasonable boundaries - there is something for everyone.

We counted as many as five waiters/bartenders working at times. I don't recall ever seeing the bar empty in the evenings - in contrast to Cellar Masters which was was like a morgue most of the time. One thing we noted was that the Martini Bar seemed to be less busy than normal. Maybe GB is taking some pressure off the MB. Passport Bar was pretty quiet most of the time. On the other hand our B2B cruises were port intensive, so that could be a factor as well.

One final off-topic note: This was our least favorite Molecular Bar experience of all four S Class ships we've enjoyed. One of the bartenders was dry, arrogant and generally not pleasant. The other was just OK, and some of our favorite concoctions were just not right. No Fun Clause Exemption possible, even though we tried to spend time there on several evenings. It was not the MB we've come to expect :(.

MARK

"Ya'll" - isn't that where the mizzen is stepped aft of the rudder? :D

I was having such a good time that I didn't really do much cataloging. There were several draught beers but I confined my intake to the Newcastle Brown. There were two other UK draft selections, but I forget the names. They seemed popular. The bartenders said they would keep those three beers on draught even when back in the Caribbean - odd choice. Why not do some readily available US choices like Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam, or whatever. It's not like there aren't lots of great options when you are alongside the pier at Port Everglades. Nothing wrong with some variety, as long as you aren't forcing folks into 120 min IPA's or something like that.

There was quite a variety of bottled beer in the refrigerators, but I invoked the Fun Clause Exemption and paid little to no attention to what or how many :):).

There were quite a few wine choices, but since my DW sticks with Pinot Noir, we didn't pay much attention to the rest. Another failure due to the Fun Clause Exemption, so please accept our apologies.

There was also a good selection of spirits for cocktails, so if you stay within reasonable boundaries - there is something for everyone.

We counted as many as five waiters/bartenders working at times. I don't recall ever seeing the bar empty in the evenings - in contrast to Cellar Masters which was was like a morgue most of the time. One thing we noted was that the Martini Bar seemed to be less busy than normal. Maybe GB is taking some pressure off the MB. Passport Bar was pretty quiet most of the time. On the other hand our B2B cruises were port intensive, so that could be a factor as well.

One final off-topic note: This was our least favorite Molecular Bar experience of all four S Class ships we've enjoyed. One of the bartenders was dry, arrogant and generally not pleasant. The other was just OK, and some of our favorite concoctions were just not right. No Fun Clause Exemption possible, even though we tried to spend time there on several evenings. It was not the MB we've come to expect :(.

MARK

Interesting comment about the Molecular Bar. We thought Irina and Cristian were great and by far the best drinks at the MB of any ships that we have cruised.

Yes, interesting indeed. Thanks Mark & gator.

Yea looks like it's going to be a slow process that I would like to see move into light speed. Hope it doesn't move at the current Cellar Master pace. :rolleyes:

My thought is they do the conversion at the same time as they install the Suite dining Room. They are rolling out the Suite Dining room to all ships in a 11 day period in April, 2015, with no apparent interruption of sailings.

My thought is they do the conversion at the same time as they install the Suite dining Room. They are rolling out the Suite Dining room to all ships in a 11 day period in April, 2015, with no apparent interruption of sailings.

Except, during the 7 day unplanned Silly dry dock in January, they speficially said they will not be adding Gastro Bar. If they were going to be able to do it as you said, the shoudl be able to do it then. Silly will be sailing out of FL at the time, so I'd guess they're doing the drydock in the Bahamas, where presumably they could do they other work too.

We'll see.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Except, during the 7 day unplanned Silly dry dock in January, they speficially said they will not be adding Gastro Bar. If they were going to be able to do it as you said, the shoudl be able to do it then. Silly will be sailing out of FL at the time, so I'd guess they're doing the drydock in the Bahamas, where presumably they could do they other work too.

We'll see.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I still feel it will be farther down the time line before it is added to the rest of the fleet. Now will there be changes to the Cellar Masters venue with the craft beer selection added? I think so. But as to the pub style menu? Acceptance or rejection on the Equinox I think will be watched very closely before the concept is added to a second ship. Let alone the entire fleet.

This is why I continue to seek out returning Cruise Critic members asking for a wider cross section of opinions on the venue.

Thanks everyone,

EW

April 2015 is pretty quick for the Gastro pub conversion, I'm hoping it happens.