Cabin consumption fee is over

Sorry, it is not that the fee is done away with, you can no longer buy a bottle of your favorite for your cabin. Are they for real?????? YES. I emailed them and starbooard and was given the pat answer of "policy change"

When did this policy go into effect and where is it posted? :confused: I just did the Mariner last week and had no problem. Bought two bottles paid the fee and took them to my room. :D

MisterC,

Click here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=213164

Happy trails, y'all!

Kat 50.gif

So, can you order liquor from room service? Or can you carry a drink back to your room from the bar?

I would think those options are still available, however, room service is usually watered down by the time you get it and going up to the bar while getting ready for dinner is a pain in the a**.

Convience is the main issue. I was willing to pay for that convience fee to have it close at hand.

I posted this question on the other threads, but thought I'd post it here, too. What about the onboard wine gifts? I know they're expensive, but would that be an alternative? Surely they won't do away with the wine baskets or they won't tell you that you received a gift, but you can't have it until the last day of the cruise? I'd like to get one for my mom and dad on our next cruise, but not if they can't actually DRINK it...

I posted this question on the other threads, but thought I'd post it here, too. What about the onboard wine gifts? I know they're expensive, but would that be an alternative? Surely they won't do away with the wine baskets or they won't tell you that you received a gift, but you can't have it until the last day of the cruise? I'd like to get one for my mom and dad on our next cruise, but not if they can't actually DRINK it...

The wine gift is still available on the RCCL site. But you might need to call them to see if it still an option.

Personally, I think this policy change was going to have to eventually be made to protect the cruise line and it's passengers.

I can see where a few people would really tie one on and cause problems for the rest of the passengers. Recently there was a honeymoon couple that had been drinking heavy and now one of them is missing and presumed dead (murdered?). I'm sure excessive drinking has a lot to do with some of the more serious problems on the ship.

Will is stop obnoxious drunken behavior? No, it won't, but it can cut it back by removing the large bottles of booze available to chug at will in the privacy of the cruisers own cabin. It will give the cruise line the ability to cut someone off completely if it comes to that whereas if they have a bottle in their room, a problem cruiser could continue to drink and cause problems.

In short, I believe it's the few that have caused another restriction for the many. Just like with the TSA's at the airport. A few terrorist have caused inconvenience for everyone else.

I'm not saying I like it but, I can understand it and I can live with it.

... and going up to the bar while getting ready for dinner is a pain in the a**.

Convience is the main issue. I was willing to pay for that convience fee to have it close at hand.

This issue affects me in no way, shape or form, but I'm just wondering out loud... what if you found the closest bar to your cabin and made buddy buddy with a couple of the servers who worked out of that location? Can you directly call a particular bar? I bet after a couple nice extra tips, they'd be more than happy to run you right down what you'd like.. no?

Theron

I placed an order before this whole thing started, and I called to make sure that it was still available and was told yes. However, I do not see a record of this order when I go to my cruise reservation, and my credit card has yet to be charged. I called to confirm that the order was placed, and no one could give me an answer because it was placed on-line. They were supposed to check into it and call me back which they didn't. I've emailed RC about it, and have yet to get an answer. So, I have yet to get a definate yes or no. If anyone else gets an answers, let me know.

I'm not saying I like it but, I can understand it and I can live with it.

Doug........If we were told WHY they had changed this policy, we too would still not like it but would live with it. However, it will not stop the smuggling that does and will still go on. If over consumption is the issue, then all they would have to do is limit the number of on board purchases for cabin consumption, which would be easy to do as it is all charged to the sign card.

Doug........If we were told WHY they had changed this policy, we too would still not like it but would live with it. However, it will not stop the smuggling that does and will still go on. If over consumption is the issue, then all they would have to do is limit the number of on board purchases for cabin consumption, which would be easy to do as it is all charged to the sign card.

True they could limit the number of bottles you purchase but, they can't limit how fast one comsumes it. It only takes one night of drunken debauchery to make someone elses life miserable or do some damage to a ship.

Another thought could be underage drinking. Say a parent decides it's the teenagers vacation too, they can't really go anywhere and this would be a great opportunity to just allow them to go wild and drink. Sort of like a big parental supervised keg party. Unfortunately, I know parents of teenagers that feel it is perfectly all right for their kids, and their friends, to get smashed at their house so long as they feel they can control it. What better place than a confined cruise ship for them to practice this idea without limitations? It would only take a few per sailing to make life miserable with RCI.

They could always just enforce their own rules and start giving people the boot off the ship when things get out of hand. Unfortunately, for RCI and the rest of us this seems to be something they just don't do very often. It seems to be easier to just have everyone else suffer the concequences of the actions of a few rather than attempt to punish those that actually cause the problem in the first place.

Of course, I'm making a lot of assumptions here. It would be very nice if RCI would clue us in to the policy change rather than just say, "because we said so." That didn't fly well with me when my parents said it and it doesn't fly well with me when a corporation does it.

True they could limit the number of bottles you purchase but, they can't limit how fast one comsumes it. It only takes one night of drunken debauchery to make someone elses life miserable or do some damage to a ship.

Another thought could be underage drinking. Say a parent decides it's the teenagers vacation too, they can't really go anywhere and this would be a great opportunity to just allow them to go wild and drink. Sort of like a big parental supervised keg party. Unfortunately, I know parents of teenagers that feel it is perfectly all right for their kids, and their friends, to get smashed at their house so long as they feel they can control it. What better place than a confined cruise ship for them to practice this idea without limitations? It would only take a few per sailing to make life miserable with RCI.

They could always just enforce their own rules and start giving people the boot off the ship when things get out of hand. Unfortunately, for RCI and the rest of us this seems to be something they just don't do very often. It seems to be easier to just have everyone else suffer the concequences of the actions of a few rather than attempt to punish those that actually cause the problem in the first place.

Of course, I'm making a lot of assumptions here. It would be very nice if RCI would clue us in to the policy change rather than just say, "because we said so." That didn't fly well with me when my parents said it and it doesn't fly well with me when a corporation does it.

Bravo Doug 36_1_75.gifwell said on all points. Why punish everyone when if they would just attend to the problems as they arise, it is only the cruisers, who are being a problem, that are upset and the cruisers who abide by the rules are still happy.......who would have thunk it? obviously not RCI.

As much as we all hate this turn of events I bet the policy will remain in place and soon Carnival will adopt it as well. NCL has had it for several years, now RCI company which of course means Celebrity as well. NMNita

You can buy alcohol in the gift shop on Carnival's fleet and pay a fee to drink it in your room ?

I have never heard this before...

I thought only RCCL had this option available.

Archived