Cozumel - Best beach?

Isa65

We have been spoiled by Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk... Crystal waters with amazing clarity and shades of blue....

Which beach in Cozumel comes close to this?

Haven't been to any, except Nachi Cocom which we didn't like that much.

I'd appreciate your suggestions - thanks!

I'm going out on a limb and saying none of the Coz beaches will meet your experiences at Half Moon Bay or Grand Turk. Most beach clubs with water activities are on the western coast which is on the channel between Coz and the mainland. Depending on the currents and weather, sometimes the water along the shore can be brownish or grey. The sand is not the "white sand" of the Eastern Caribbean you have in mind. And snorkeling is only good at the northern most beaches, as the iron shore drifts outward about a third of the way down Chankanaab, and doesn't get close to shore again until Punta Sur lighthouse area. Most of the popular beaches are in between these points.

While there are several places along the east shore that have facilities for dining and drinking, I believe only Rasta's (Paradise Café), the new Alberts, Chen Rio and Punta Moreno have loungers. Only Chen Rio allows swimming, if the wave action permits. This shore gets the brunt of the current flowing from east to west.

Thus beach selection in Coz is focused on activities and crowds. As a rule, fewer people and less water activities at beaches further away from the cruise piers, although some beaches like Corona Beach Club may not be as crowded as their neighbors. But if beach A has silty or brownish water so will beach B,C, D, etc.. So pick a beach that has the amenities you might enjoy and just ignore the comparison.

On a side note: I certainly appreciate your comments and suggestions on Curacao. You need to write a guide book:).

The sand is not the "white sand" of the Eastern Caribbean you have in mind. So pick a beach that has the amenities you might enjoy and just ignore the comparison.

On a side note: I certainly appreciate your comments and suggestions on Curacao. You need to write a guide book:).

Thanks for your detailed explanation!!

And of course for your nice comment....;)

The Money Bar and surrounding area has very clear water but no beach. There is a man made beach and the Money bar is known for very good snorkeling.

Edited by caribsun

Playa Mia has a very nice beach with all the modern amenities. Lots of activities. There are coupons on their website and you can see pics. There is decent snorkeling. You can pay for what you use or all-inclusive. Water clarity is excellent in Coz that is why it is one of the top dive sites in the world. I only snorkel and it is better where there isn't sand to cloud the water.

• 2 weeks later...
Passion Island is our favorite! Quite lovely there. You'll feel as if you're sitting around in the middle of a Corona advertisement. :D

LuLu

I agree that Passion Island is the prettiest beach by far on Cozumel. I'm not sure how you'd get there on your own as I did a ship excursion. Being a tiny island off of Cozumel, you need to take a small boat there. There's always Google....:)

If you did not like the water at Nachi Cocum, Playa Palancar is just south and Mr. Sanchos, Playa Mia and Paradise Beach are immediately next door, to the north, so they share the exact same stretch of sand and water...

Passion Island is a tiny island off Cozumel island to the north.

(in the cove at the top of the map)

cozumelmap_zpse1be2215.jpg

Never been, so I can't compare the water quality there.

But it would be a better shot at water more to your liking, than the usually popular beach clubs.