How to get good cruise deals over Christmas??

scrapperluv

Hi all!

My family has decided to book an 8 day cruise over during the week of Christmas. I noticed on Carnival's site that the price really shoots up that week. I'm assuming it's because kids are out of school and some people like the idea of cruising on Christmas.

Do prices generally stay the same at peak times like this or should I wait for the prices to drop? Any info or tips would be SO appreciated! This is only the 2nd cruise we've been on so we're not really familiar with trends in prices yet.

Also, can anyone recommend a travel agent who gets good deals from the cruise lines? The one we used this time booked it for the exact same rate as I would have been able to book it directly through Carnival.

Thanks!

Hi all!

My family has decided to book an 8 day cruise over during the week of Christmas. I noticed on Carnival's site that the price really shoots up that week. I'm assuming it's because kids are out of school and some people like the idea of cruising on Christmas.

Do prices generally stay the same at peak times like this or should I wait for the prices to drop? Any info or tips would be SO appreciated! This is only the 2nd cruise we've been on so we're not really familiar with trends in prices yet.

Also, can anyone recommend a travel agent who gets good deals from the cruise lines? The one we used this time booked it for the exact same rate as I would have been able to book it directly through Carnival.

Thanks!

Christmas and the winter holidays are tricky when it comes to pricing. They tend to be pricy because the kids and many families are off--they can charge a premium during this period, just like in the summer. I wouldn't expect prices to drop, so if you've found a price you're happy paying, I'd go ahead and book it. You could book Early Saver and while it's restrictive, it'd allow for price drops after final payment.

We aren't allowed to suggest TAs by name on CruiseCritic, but you're not going to find a TA with a much different rate from Carnival, because Carnival has strict pricing guidelines.

Hi all!

Also, can anyone recommend a travel agent who gets good deals from the cruise lines? The one we used this time booked it for the exact same rate as I would have bee able to book it directly through Carnival.

Thanks!

The discounts for holiday sailings are for late booking, and no way to predict, what may or may not have less demand, causing the discounts. Since it sounds like you are only interested in ONE cruise, you either should be looking at booking ahead or waiting- with the acceptance of not going or paying more.

IF you truly want lower rates you need to be far more flexible. You don't mention, if you are flying or tight on dates? Last year's holiday's sailing spanned two weeks offering, anyone who blocked that time, several cruises to pick up discounted.

Thanks for all the info. We're going to drive to the port so we're flexible on dates. We can leave out of any southeastern ports (from Charleston to Miami to New Orleans.

Are there any difference onboard during the holidays? We've sailed during the summer but that's it.

Thanks for all the info. We're going to drive to the port so we're flexible on dates. We can leave out of any southeastern ports (from Charleston to Miami to New Orleans.

Are there any difference onboard during the holidays? We've sailed during the summer but that's it.

Some decorations are up. I don't notice much overall difference, except demographics with more kids and full ships.

With your current post- then you should be able to pick up some nice late discounts- for double cabins. If you need a triple or quad, those are not nearly as available.

Edited by Budget Queen

Hi all!

Thanks!

In response to your last question: I always book with Carnival. I price cruises all the time and I've never found a better deal than booking with a Carnival PVP or booking myself through the website. This might not be true for everyone, but I feel comfortable saying that if you book through Carnival you aren't really going to find a lower price through somewhere else.

As far as price drops go, I agree with the person who said either book now and pay the current price (Early Saver would make you eligible for price drops) or wait to book. I wouldn't advise this for everyone, but lately, I've been booking some last minute cruises. I've booked cruises anywhere from 3 days before sailing and gotten some great deals (and some EXCEPTIONAL deals!). I would never advise you wait that long, because during Christmastime it very possible you wouldn't get to sail at all. Just remember the prices are very fluid. I've been following prices a lot lately for the last minute cruise that we are booked on for Sunday and I've noticed that if there is a significant number of cabins available at approximately 1 month before sailing, the prices drop drastically. For example, the cruise I booked was over $300 more per person 6 months before the sail date than what I booked it at 3 weeks before the sail date (and for an interior room, at that!). But it all has to do with supply and demand, so if you do decide to wait, just realize you may not get what you want. If there is something specific you are looking at, I would just book now at the Early saver rate.

Yes, we'll be booking 2 double occupancy rooms that are adjoining. I don't think Carnival does a suite that has a separate bedroom, do they? I really don't want my kids sleeping in our room since we stay up late having some drinks and chatting.

We've taken our family on a Christmas cruise the last 2 years. As you've noticed, there is high demand during the holidays. As such, we've booked ours 2 weeks prior to Christmas and 2 weeks after Christmas when rates were much more friendly ( lower!).

We've not seen any differences except for some ship decorations and, this past year, a nice "snow" event in the main atrium.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you are flexible with dates, and can book before or after Christmas, I would do so. Prices drop almost in 1/2 then! We can only cruise during peak holiday weeks due to my teaching schedule. We book our Christmas cruises at least 10 months out - sometimes as far as12 to 14 months out, if I have my vacation schedule for the next year. We always book ES, and I always get some obc as the cruise draws nearer. We have had as little as $150, and as much as $900. If you have a cruise and date you definitely want, I would book it now. At least you will get the cabin you desire, instead of inventory being lower as the cruise date gets closer!

Hi all!

Thanks!

Christmas is usually the second most expensive time to cruise behind New Year's. Ships will sail full. For other times of the year, you'd likely get a better deal by booking a last minute deal. But for the holiday cruises, waiting could end up in disappointment. I've cruised over Christmas for many years. The ship will be decorated and there will be a traditional Christmas meal on Christmas day. But otherwise things aren't much different except that there will be a lot of kids onboard. You will also see that many of the ship's officers will have their families onboard during Christmas. Christmas cruising is a nice tradition. I love being able to get away from the hustle and bustle that Christmas has become and the cold weather to the laid back cruise atmosphere and warmer weather. I hope it works out well for you and your family. Have a great cruise creating some new Christmas memories.

And travel agents cannot offer lower fares than Carnival does according to Carnival's rules. If you work with a travel agency, remember that some of them do not like to handle price drops that might occur because it is more work for them and reduces their commission. Carnival will refer you to your travel agent if you have needs after booking, so normally contacting Carnival directly after booking with a TA will not resolve your problem.

Yes, we'll be booking 2 double occupancy rooms that are adjoining. I don't think Carnival does a suite that has a separate bedroom, do they? I really don't want my kids sleeping in our room since we stay up late having some drinks and chatting.

I'd book right now with Early Saver. There are very few adjoining rooms.

Sorry, wrong idea to wait with your "adjoining" cabin comment. This is rare and not likely to be available with any last minute booking.

If you are going to go, then you need to book now with this option.