Cabins with balconies

johnandlinda

We would ordinarily want a balcony or French type, but with the way these boats piggy back dock, I think I am convinced its not worth the extra money. Are we wrong? With the ships small, it must certainly be easy enough to get to the top deck to avoid cabin fever? We have never river cruised

It probably depends on the itinerary. If you will be cruising during the day, there may be times you want to veg in your cabin -- that's when a French balcony is great because you can open the curtains and enjoy the view out the wall of windows (even if you don't open the slider).

I think the time of the year would make a difference to me regarding balcony or French balcony. When we go in Winter months it's not important but even then, if possible we like having a window that can open for a little fresh air now and then. Other months when the weather is warmer it's nice having a French balcony as the previous poster stated to enjoy looking out. But seriously, I'm good with any cabin just about, you're not in your cabin much and sometimes we don't feel it's worth the additional cost. Only my opinion.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We just came back from a 7-day Danube cruise on the AMA Prima (Budapest to Vilshofen) and splurged for a double balcony (French and the regular kind to sit out on). We loved sitting out on the balcony and never used the French one. This was our first river cruise and hope to do more!

Agree with above poster,but now that I experienced the 2 balcony one.Can NEVER go back to even just French now.

Not usually docked together for long periods of time.Nice to have a private space to sightsee.And if it rains,top deck no good.

If you can afford it,go for some type of balcony.If its a monetary thing,go for below deck with window.Better to at least BE THERE,right??;)

We just came back from a 7-day Danube cruise on the AMA Prima (Budapest to Vilshofen) and splurged for a double balcony (French and the regular kind to sit out on). We loved sitting out on the balcony and never used the French one. This was our first river cruise and hope to do more!

Agree with above poster,but now that I experienced the 2 balcony one.Can NEVER go back to even just French now.

Not usually docked together for long periods of time.Nice to have a private space to sightsee.And if it rains,top deck no good.

If you can afford it,go for some type of balcony.If its a monetary thing,go for below deck with window.Better to at least BE THERE,right??;)

Sounds like we made the right decision for us in booking the twin balcony! :D However, this is really one of those decisions that purely depends on your personal taste. For me, if I can get even ten or fifteen minutes a day (or evening) to enjoy the view from our own cabin balcony, it is worth every penny. Of course others, may not think it is worth the extra money they could be spending on something else.