Vision of the Seas - WORRIED

We are avid cruisers. We cruise 1-2 times a year. RCI was always my favorite however, once my dd was dx'd w/Celiac, Carnival was the front runner in dietary needs. Unfortunately, our New Year's cruise on the Breeze was far from a "breeze" and I made a decision to return to RCI.

On a whim, I booked a 5 night cruise for July on the Vision of the Seas. I am now really concerned because all I see is very disappointed reviews regarding this ship. We are not necessarily mega-ship fans. Too many crowds, too few servers, quality of the experience seems to go down. On Carnival, we love the Legend, Miracle, Pride and Spirit.

Can anyone give me any positive feedback regarding the Vision Class ships with RCI? Is there a piano bar? Is there a comedy club? Is my 19 year old going to bored out of her mind on this mother/daughter surprise? Any current Compass available for the 5 night Western Caribbean itinerary?

There are quite a few Vision threads running now, including one that will be updated by a very experienced cruiser that will depart today on a 10 day sailing on Vision.

I have sailed on Vision 6 times now and love the ship and crew. Have I had some issues and is there room for improvement, sure. While not having the activity level of the mega-ships, you also do not have the crowds.

The main dining room, specialty restaurants and Park Café are exceptional on Vision. Really good attitude from the staff at the Café Latitudes and very personable crew in my opinion.

There is a Schooner Bar piano venue on all RCI ships. There is not a comedy club, but one of the Headliners is usually a comedy show. They tend to do 3 shows with the last show being a more adult version. The comedian on my last Vision sailing in April was excellent.

What date are you sailing in July? We just booked B2B in July and can't wait. We were on Vision for two weeks in February and loved it so much that we considered staying on for a third week. This size ship is perfect for us because when we go on a cruise, we want to do NOTHING. But there is plenty to do if you want to. I personally love the Vision and could hardly believe the recent negative reports. Just had to book again to see for myself. Waiting on Darkwolf's report. I will also be doing a big picture review upon my return. Please don't worry.

I feel better knowing that the Vision has repeat cruisers. I do wish I would have better evaluated evening entertainment; but, live and learn. This is a surprise for my broken hearted daughter, so I am trying to take the attitude of a surprise cruise beats no cruise.:)

I returned from a 5 day sailing on Vision just 4 days ago.

Frankly, the service we received was the worst I've ever experienced on a cruise ship. I'm debating if I should do a full review of the cruise, but the overview is that from the pier check-in agent to our stateroom attendant to our waiter in the MDR to even the cashier in the shop, we received bad service after bad service.

The ship itself is in beautiful shape, though.

Which 5 day itinerary are you on (there are a couple)? We did Key West and Grand Cayman.

I will be sailing on Vision June 23.

I have Celiac and look forward to seeing how that goes.

Any day on a cruise ship is a much better day than on land. I don't worry about the bad reviews, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I don't think your daughter will be bored at all. She will have a wonderful time. It took some time, but I love traveling with my mom. Precious moments!

Relax, you're going on vacation!

We were on the Vision, the last week in May, and there were lots of young cruisers, early 20's. They seem to be having a lot of fun at the pool games, on sea days! There was also a pool party the last night, up on deck, with music and dancing.

We had a great cruise!

I returned from a 5 day sailing on Vision just 4 days ago.

Frankly, the service we received was the worst I've ever experienced on a cruise ship. I'm debating if I should do a full review of the cruise, but the overview is that from the pier check-in agent to our stateroom attendant to our waiter in the MDR to even the cashier in the shop, we received bad service after bad service.

The ship itself is in beautiful shape, though.

Which 5 day itinerary are you on (there are a couple)? We did Key West and Grand Cayman.

This is our itinerary...and unfortunately, your experience with this crew seems to be the norm. I am very concerned that I may have jumped to quickly. I needed a short getaway for my college aged daughter that just had her heart broken and had her summer vacation pulled from under her...the last thing I need is to have poor service and attitudes.

Ahhhhhh!!!:(:(

I will be sailing on Vision June 23.

I have Celiac and look forward to seeing how that goes.

Any day on a cruise ship is a much better day than on land. I don't worry about the bad reviews' date=' everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I don't think your daughter will be bored at all. She will have a wonderful time. It took some time, but I love traveling with my mom. Precious moments!

Relax, you're going on vacation![/quote']

Please let me know how your experience is with RCI and the Celiac dx. I am not taking my younger daughter who is full blown Celiac and has additional food allergies until I assess RCI's ability to manage gluten free, see how they address cross contamination and the patience in the staff with such vacationers. This is one area where CCL has been in the forefront of cruising. I am hoping RCI has stepped up their game. But, the numerous posts on poor service and poor attitudes concerns me.

This is our itinerary...and unfortunately, your experience with this crew seems to be the norm. I am very concerned that I may have jumped to quickly. I needed a short getaway for my college aged daughter that just had her heart broken and had her summer vacation pulled from under her...the last thing I need is to have poor service and attitudes.

Ahhhhhh!!!:(:(

Despite the horrible service and the noisiest stateroom I've ever experienced, we still had a good time. For a shorter cruise, the itinerary is great (love both Key West and Grand Cayman).

We are returning to RCCL on the Vision in July after 10 years of Carnival exclusively (and DCL with our grandchildren). I was a bit worried too. However, I'm hopeful that poor service WILL be reported and corrected sooner rather than later. I'd be more concerned with a run down ship with constant maintenance issues. I think we will both have a wonderful time and your daughter can begin to mend her broken heart with the people who love her most. We liked the Pride, Legend and Glory and think this is a perfect size ship, though I admit we want to try the big ones too. I am excited to try RCCL again and won't let a few negative comments ruin my vacation. I believe their experiences for sure, but I've read negative reviews for hotels and didn't have the same experience there either. We'll have a great time!

What an awesome Mom.

Here is a link to a 4 day pretty current compass and a review.:

Vision Compass

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42928225

Vision Review and some pix.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2054186

Darkwolf just left today, and wolf is going to send in depth info back, and was going to get other friends opinions as well. Wolf may even try to do some live, so keep checking!

I know that thankfully a lot of. CC's are going before my trip to make a decision.

I hope this helps a tad! I am sure you will have a great time.

Maybe bring some extra favorite bringable eats! Load a tablet, phone, ipod with variety of music. I did a long with a bluetooth speaker and played some music in my cabin and balcony before dinner.

Have an awesome time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Here are a few more links to help.

Darkwolf

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2049965

Darkwolf Most recent trip on Vision http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2049965

Ports of call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

Happy cruising.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It will be what you want it to be. Go with a smile and a great attitude and you won't be disappointed. I really think you have to try to have a bad time on a cruise! And I say that as someone who isn't shy about complaining when things aren't as they should be.;)

DH and I just returned from a 5 day Vision sailing (31 May from FLL)

I can't speak to the dietary needs, although if you contact them in advance I'll bet they'll do their best.

We had excellent service in the MDR/ MTD (Mr. Rolston) and from the bar staff (especially Christian). No problem getting bar service on sea days at our lounges, either. Our cabin steward was great as well (Mr. Ashton, JS, deck 8 aft 8590). No complaints about service. The only thing I found lacking was the Windjammer. It wasn't as good as the other ships. Our most recent cruise before that one was Enchantment in March and the Windjammer was better. The food line seemed cramped and crowded, main entrees were uninspiring, and the service was so-so.

Giovanni's was the highlight meal of our cruise. Actually ended up there twice because the one night we planned for the Windjammer we walked out after checking out what was offered. Giovanni's took us right in without a reservation.

That said, I'm taking my DD (24) on a mother/daughter cruise on Vision on the June 19th sailing. So when I left the ship, I could say, "see you in 2 weeks!" Made the leaving a little easier :D

Hope this helps reassure you! Enjoy!

Does anyone know whether this same crew will be on the ship next year? We are booked for a September Med cruise. After reading so many negative comments, I'm WORRIED, too! :(

Impossible to know. There is much turnover, ship swapping, contracts expiring at different times.

We are avid cruisers. We cruise 1-2 times a year. RCI was always my favorite however, once my dd was dx'd w/Celiac, Carnival was the front runner in dietary needs. Unfortunately, our New Year's cruise on the Breeze was far from a "breeze" and I made a decision to return to RCI.

On a whim, I booked a 5 night cruise for July on the Vision of the Seas. I am now really concerned because all I see is very disappointed reviews regarding this ship. We are not necessarily mega-ship fans. Too many crowds, too few servers, quality of the experience seems to go down. On Carnival, we love the Legend, Miracle, Pride and Spirit.

Can anyone give me any positive feedback regarding the Vision Class ships with RCI? Is there a piano bar? Is there a comedy club? Is my 19 year old going to bored out of her mind on this mother/daughter surprise? Any current Compass available for the 5 night Western Caribbean itinerary?

I was just on Rhapsody for 36 days and it was Wonderful, going on Vision 9/1/14 and hope it's as good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My sister -in - law has Celiac's. We last cruised with her back in October on Explorer. They did an excellent job with her. She was beyond pleased. Hope that you have the same experience.

This is encouraging. I contacted RCI and their rep sent me an email that simply said to see the Maitre D as soon as we board. I am happy to hear they can work with us. Thanks!

We are sailing in August with our 19 year old son and are very much looking forward to it. I am hoping that Royal is taking the information they are hearing from these recent sailings and making changes to address them.

Also, the captain just changed a few weeks ago, and I believe the cruise director is new as of the sailing starting today. Let's wait for a few more sailings and hope for great reviews!

To any of you sailing in the next month or two please share with us. Anyone on the Roatan/Cozumel itinerary if you can bring back the compasses that would be great.

It will be what you want it to be. Go with a smile and a great attitude and you won't be disappointed. I really think you have to try to have a bad time on a cruise! And I say that as someone who isn't shy about complaining when things aren't as they should be.;)

DH and I just returned from a 5 day Vision sailing (31 May from FLL)

I can't speak to the dietary needs, although if you contact them in advance I'll bet they'll do their best.

We had excellent service in the MDR/ MTD (Mr. Rolston) and from the bar staff (especially Christian). No problem getting bar service on sea days at our lounges, either. Our cabin steward was great as well (Mr. Ashton, JS, deck 8 aft 8590). No complaints about service. The only thing I found lacking was the Windjammer. It wasn't as good as the other ships. Our most recent cruise before that one was Enchantment in March and the Windjammer was better. The food line seemed cramped and crowded, main entrees were uninspiring, and the service was so-so.

Enjoy!

I am relieved to hear this.

I try to take reviews with a grain of salt, someone is always unhappy about something and different things are important to different people. However, on numerous sites, people have raved about the ship, raved about Chops and Giovanni's and have been very unhappy with MDR, Windjammer, bar service and some stateroom complaints, too. It is unusual to see seasoned cruisers really nail a ship consistently...lets face it, the crew is human and just like any service based industry, there are fantastic days and less than poor days; it is the number of negative feeds I have read that really concerned me.

I am super excited to see the ship. One thing everyone does seem to agree upon is that Vision is a beauty!

We just returned from the May 31st sailing, and had an outstanding time. I was traveling with my husband, my 22 year old son, my 18 year old daughter and 14 year old son. They all had a great time. We had 2 ocean view rooms, and our room steward couldn't have been more attentive, bringing ice each evening after we told him on the first day we would like an ice bucket, always greeting us in the halls and asking how our day was going, and leaving lovely towel animals on 3 of the evenings. We didn't eat in the windjammer outside of the boarding lunch (it was adequate, but nothing to brag about...then again I'm just not a buffet type of person), but very much enjoyed the main dining room and Giavanni's table. We didn't have any issues with drinks, but we weren't on a package and only drink 1-2 alcoholic drinks a day.

As far as the kids, my oldest son and daughter had a great time at the Viking crown lounge each evening where they had late night dancing with a DJ. They both met many other young people that they hung out with each evening after dinner. This was our fourth family cruise, and overall one of our best. We typically take longer cruises (our last was 10 day on Enchantment when she was in Baltimore), but enjoyed this one almost as much....would only have been better if it had been longer!

Kaye