Pretty sure I got the worst PVP Carnival has....

I always book directly through Carnival but felt like I had some "issues" with this booking, all of which I laid out to the PVP the first time we talked. One was a concern with my 22 year old cancelling. Sure enough, about 30 days after booking, kid wants out. Says he can't get the time off work (9 months away at that point, but whatever....). I call PVP, he decides to "play" with the system and takes the kid off the booking, immediately causing us to go from a half price deposit rate to demanding the other half of the deposit within 24 hours. Then he tries to put the kid back in and it trips the system to charge us some kind of cancellation fee. Somehow, he makes some calls, moves us to another sail date (another one of the issues, so I wanted to check the price, not get full-fledged moved, arghhhhhhh), and moves us from a 4a and 6a respectively to 2 4D inside rooms. I have no idea what he was thinking or how I let this get away from me. Final payment was due last week. Luckily I was paying attention, because we've not heard a single peep from him since his screw up in February. Is this common? Do they usually call and remind ya payment is due? He's a dud for sure, (in spite of how he kept trying to tell us he's Carnival's top PVP). Maybe my expectations were too high. In the end, we get to cruise and got a fairly decent rate, but I used him thinking he was going to help me avert all the things that happened to my booking. No more PVP for me. (What should I have expected?)

Sorry for the issues, but I've never gotten a call as to when payment was due. Kinda think that's on you.

That being said, one would have hoped if you were upfront about what you wanted, he would have been up front about what he could do for you.

Never did get a call about final payment now get a series of emails.

Before that I once noted that we were just past final payment and called and lucky we did as cruise had been cancelled.

Now I make a note on my calendar and call myself.

We really like our pvp and she is certainly worth using.

Thankful to have never experienced anything remotely like that during the last 9 years using the same PVP.

All PVP's are brand new at one point in time. My PVP told me that when they first get hired, there's a period of a few months until they get their bearings when they don't get in trouble for messing up bookings. It seems like you may have been stuck with one of those.:o

I feel you. I'm not a fan of mine but don't know how to change without offending someone. Also. I would assume I'd get a final payment reminder too. It's not like they're trying to pull a fast one and keep the deposit (I hope) so why wouldn't the personal vacation PLANNER give you a courtesy call before cancelling the cruise? Seems like there's absolutely no benefit to using a PvP.

It's not like they're trying to pull a fast one and keep the deposit (I hope) so why wouldn't the personal vacation PLANNER give you a courtesy call before cancelling the cruise? Seems like there's absolutely no benefit to using a PvP.

PVP's are required to make final payment calls one week prior to the deadline. Whether they do it or not is another story.

Honestly I think the only benefit to using a PVP is if you need to book multiple rooms. If not I just do it online, though for our two upcoming cruises I used a third operation. Se

Price and got a number of little perks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

PVP's are required to make final payment calls one week prior to the deadline. Whether they do it or not is another story.

Where did you see this? The one time I booked with a PVP she specifically told is we will get an email and to call HER if there were any issues. She did say that we will get the confirmation with out final payment date. But it was up to ya to ensure no issues

Where did you see this? The one time I booked with a PVP she specifically told is we will get an email and to call HER if there were any issues. She did say that we will get the confirmation with out final payment date. But it was up to ya to ensure no issues

I wish my PvP had been as upfront with me about doing nothing when i originally booked!

Edited by topofE

He claims he's been at it for about 14 years. No matter. Like I said, we're getting to cruise and hang out together as a family. It might not have been the exact way I wanted it, but in the grand scheme of things, it's mostly ok. Just frustrated and venting and wondering if I got as short-changed as I feel. :)

That is surprising. Have dealt with two over about 15 cruises booked with pvp's and never got a call.

Unfortunately, I think the bad outweigh the good. We have yet to have one still employed by Carnival by the time we sail, so no, we never get the final payment reminders. The one we had last year was about like the one you've been dealing with. This year, I've just called in and taken care of everything myself.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Where did you see this?

I've actually seen it when I've been to Carnival's offices in Miramar, FL.

PVP's computer system prompts them to make a series of phone calls every day, among them contacting new leads, guests that have been on the website recently, follow up calls for guests that they've spoken to but who haven't booked yet, final payment calls, bon voyage calls, welcome home calls, etc. It's all a part of creating a relationship with the guest which is the livelihood of the PVP's department.

Final payment, bon voyage, and welcome home calls are "housekeeping calls", so many PVP's choose not to make them and use that time pursuing new bookings instead. Other PVP's may genuinely be too busy with everything else, and some PVP's may not make these calls out of laziness.

My PVP stopped making these phone calls to me A LONG time ago, partly because I asked him to. It felt a bit silly (since we've been friends for a decade and speak on a regular basis), but I still appreciated the gesture.

Edited by Tapi

OP - if someone has to TELL you they are the best (the top, etc.)... they probably are not.

That said, I have seldom received a call. An email sometimes, but not a call. I will generally set a reminder on my telephone, because I WILL forget. Otherwise, I just set it up for auto-withdrawal.

As far as what to expect - I have mostly used a PVP, but there have been times 'between' PVP's when I have booked myself. I prefer to use a PVP, because when there is a problem or an issue, they are a point of contact who can intercede for you. It sounds like, however, as you said, you had a bit of a dud.

I suggest checking with friends and other cruisers you trust regarding who THEY trust as a PVP to find a good PVP who is well established. It's much better to find one via a trusted friend than a random call-in.

Good luck and happy cruising!

Edited by Cruisin'Doc

I've actually seen it when I've been to Carnival's offices in Miramar, FL.

PVP's computer system prompts them to make a series of phone calls every day, among them contacting new leads, guests that have been on the website recently, follow up calls for guests that they've spoken to but who haven't booked yet, final payment calls, bon voyage calls, welcome home calls, etc. It's all a part of creating a relationship with the guest which is the livelihood of the PVP's department.

Final payment, bon voyage, and welcome home calls are "housekeeping calls", so many PVP's choose not to make them and use that time pursuing new bookings instead. Other PVP's may genuinely be too busy with everything else, and some PVP's may not make these calls out of laziness.

My PVP stopped making these phone calls to me A LONG time ago, partly because I asked him to. It felt a bit silly (since we've been friends for a decade and speak on a regular basis), but I still appreciated the gesture.

Then "required" probably wasn't the right word to use.

Then "required" probably wasn't the right word to use.

The final payment is a required phone call. However, PVP's can get away without making these calls and not get in trouble if their bookings are paid in full before the final payment date. Many PVP's will scan bookings tagged for a final payment call, and if the booking has already been paid in full, they'll skip the phone call. However, if a PVP has bookings in their database past final payment with a balance still due, and this happens frequently, it's grounds for disciplinary action, even termination if management sees that the PVP routinely skips final payment calls. Carnival doesn't like to have bookings force canceled because a final payment wasn't collected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Maybe they should call or send an email reminder. I use a TA and get plenty of email reminders about alot of things. Required isn't the same. In the end, it's up to the customer to ultimately make sure they know their own final payment date. I would never leave it up to someone else to keep track of my final payment date.

OP should switch to someone they feel more comfortable working with in the future. Cruise is paid in full now.

I am still trying to find the real benefit in using a PVP. I have booked four cruises now (two of which had to be cancelled due to my son's health problems:(), using just the website...always getting a good deal, great rooms, and always with multiple cabins (three or more). Dinners are always assigned together (I always will call the 800 # and double check all of that). I think I am just one of those that has the need to mico-manage things though. I feel like if someone else is in the mix, there is a greater chance of things going haywire.:)

I've been to misinformed when speaking to a PVP so I stay away from them. Your calling a call center and many of these PVP's have never been on a cruise and have worked for the company less than six months. There are some hood ones out there but I've never found one.