Carnival Booked Kids in Handicap Cabin

shellgoodman

I booked two cabins for our family of four a few weeks back - a balcony for my husband and I and an inside cabin for my girls (16 & 14) on the Carnival Breeze. I have the forward balcony 9208 and my kids were put in 9204 which after a bit of investigation tonight appears to be a handicap cabin. I was not told this when I booked and I am not too thrilled about this. First, there are folks that genuinely need an accessible cabin and secondly, my youngest has been known to flood cabins with the shower.

What are the differences in a regular inside cabin vs. inside handicapped one? Is there less closet space?

I think the main difference between accessible cabins and "regular" cabins is that the accessible cabins have wider doorways (e.g. bathroom), and accessible toilets and showers.

Is there some reason you can't request another room for your kids or both you and the kids? (I realize the rooms have to be within a certain distance of each other since the kids are minors.) Or were they booked into an accessible room because that's all that was left--which is what happened to us once.

If someone requires an accessible room, Carnival will move the kids elsewhere (or so I was told when we were originally booked in an accessible room.)

[quote=shellgoodman;43041394)

What are the differences in a regular inside cabin vs. inside handicapped one? Is there less closet space?

I've never been on the Breeze but do have some experience with other Carnival ships. The handicapped cabin most likely will be slightly larger...........nothing huge just a few extra square feet to turn a chair around in. The bath will be at floor level and slightly larger ...........so it is theoretically easier to flood this type of room. A towel dam might be in order for your son. Lastly I have always found the closets to be smaller and somewhat difficult to access

Cabins were not booked on guarantee. There was nothing on the deck plan that I saw that indicated 9204 is an accessible cabin. Now when I look at Carnival's website there is only one cabin for an inside room available and that is on the other side of the ship. My kids need to be somewhat near us and Carnival has them both assigned to the room even though they are minors. In the past, we had to assign one parent with one child in a cabin and the other parent with one child in the other cabin. Kids are 16 & 14 now.

I do feel bad if someone really needs an accessible cabin and also for the poor cabin steward who is going to be picking up soaking towels from daughters.

My kids are just thrilled to go and are happy they don't have to sleep in an airbed!

At some point, the cruise lines will book all the cabins. I use a handicapped cabin as I travel with a mobility scooter and book about a year in advance to be able to choose my location. The lines leave handicapped rooms open as long as they can and then have to book them to fill the ship whether the folks need the accessibility of the cabin or not.

The last one at the front of the ship-if I'm thinking about the right floor. We actually kind of liked it it. It has a little more room although its not very useful area. A few differences.

The entire floor throughout the entire cabin is flat so wheelchair can roll into bathroom for example. In normal cabin there are raised areas at balcony, at entrance of bathroom and around shower. With kids the shower might cause a problem. Since everything is flat there is a water drain toward middle of bathroom where the water is supposed to drain-it doesn't always drain perfectly and water can move around in the bathroom even toward the carpet. You can place some towels to direct it toward the drain.

We had something unique in that room that might be a concern. We were enjoying lazy morning with only a few clothes on when we noticed a cameraman shooting photographs toward the shore ON OUR BALCONY!!!!!!!!. See the bridge goes all around the front of the ship. Apparently during the nite-the barrier to the public bridge had come undone in the wind so that it appeared to the cameraman that our balcony was simply an extension of bridge area that circles around the entire front of the Ship. That could be a concern for kids because all the people who were watching as we pulled into port had access to our room-especially if the room wasn't locked.

We actually like the location because there is a door at end of hall that leads to the bridge on front of the ship. At nite its like having the entire front of the ship as a private balcony. At nite only rarely is anyone on the front of the ship-the only ones that seem to have discovered that area at Nite are teenagers. If you every lose a teenager on a cruise-I'd look out there-they think they are so smart finding a place on ships where parents can't find them . HaHa. . Also, I believe I'm right that the bed is at slightly a different level than usual. Or is it the toilet-not sure.

Anyway I'd probably take that room again-I love the front bridge being 3 steps from front of cabin. If you have teenagers you might be concerned about them sneaking out and heading out there They just gave it to me a week before the cruise due to a Carnival last minute up-sale-I'm not handicapped.

Oh Oh Oh-another funny thing. The front door works on a motorized door which slowly -very slowly opens and closes. Once you push the door button there is no stopping it. Plus you might mistake the door button with the lite button. At least 5 times one of us would either open or close the door or hit the wrong button not knowing the other wasn't fully dressed and give the entire front hallway a moneyshot-and as I said it probably takes about 5-10 seconds before the door entirely opens and then completely closes. Opps. Then the door will automatically close after 5 seconds or so. No manual closing of door. Might not be best for a kid

I know I listed some negatives but all in all-I think I liked the room better mainly for the location and the free bridge at nite-a huge semi-private balcony-just 3 steps away

Edited by Stallion

I agree that at some point the cruise line will book all the cabins whether handicap accessible cabins. I was looking at a room on the Breeze, and it was designated HP. I felt bad taking the room, and booked it, and was told that if it was needed, I would be moved to a comparable room. A week or so later, the prices dropped, and I upgraded to a balcony room.

We just recently satyed in a handicapped room on the Breeze (Cabin 11204 - best cabin I have ever stayed in - Even over a balcony because we had a balcony at the front that was rarely used by anyone) !

I too had concerns about "flooding" the bathroom with the shower but there is open drain that is the length of the shower on the floor and the majority of the water goes in that drain and does not flood the bathroom floor. It works even better than lip in the regular showers.

Cabins were not booked on guarantee. There was nothing on the deck plan that I saw that indicated 9204 is an accessible cabin. Now when I look at Carnival's website there is only one cabin for an inside room available and that is on the other side of the ship. My kids need to be somewhat near us and Carnival has them both assigned to the room even though they are minors. In the past, we had to assign one parent with one child in a cabin and the other parent with one child in the other cabin. Kids are 16 & 14 now.

I do feel bad if someone really needs an accessible cabin and also for the poor cabin steward who is going to be picking up soaking towels from daughters.

My kids are just thrilled to go and are happy they don't have to sleep in an airbed!

Personally, if you can, change their cabin now just in case... While it doesn't happen most of the time, it is quite possible that at the last moment someone might book this cruise, need the handicap cabin and then your kids can be moved anywhere on the ship.. NOT GOOD IF YOU WANT THEM NEAR YOU...

I know that when I cruised with my parents and booked 1 week before the cruise, Carnival did move someone out of the handicap cabin to accomodate my parents after checking to make sure that the people in that cabin didn't need it, which your kids don't...

Happened to see one balcony cabin open up today on opposite side of ship and one interior cabin on same side three doors down. Switched cabins. Carnival told me that they would have had to move not only the kids handicap cabin but also our balcony together. Minors can't be more than 3 doors away from parents. It all worked out and I'm glad I checked the website today. Thanks for all your advice!

Happened to see one balcony cabin open up today on opposite side of ship and one interior cabin on same side three doors down. Switched cabins. Carnival told me that they would have had to move not only the kids handicap cabin but also our balcony together. Minors can't be more than 3 doors away from parents. It all worked out and I'm glad I checked the website today. Thanks for all your advice!

Glad you were able to do that... You never know when someone like my parents who need a handicap cabin MIGHT book a last minute cruise, especially on the Breeze, our favorite ship so far...

Now you can start to feel sorry for the cabin steward !!!! :) :) :) lol

• 2 months later...

Ok folks, after reading this entire thread, I have a somewhat opposite question - what if you already booked a regular cabin, but would like to move INTO a handicapped cabin a day or two prior to sailing (providing of course one is still available)? Can you call and request a room change?

Has anyone done this?

I feel that it would not be fair to actual handicapped guests to book a HC room from the start. Plus, if I did and someone who really needs that room gets it and I get bumped somewhere else, that would not be fun.

The reason I am curious is because hubby is a big guy (read "teddy bear") and hates the tiny showers (can't bend down at all). The larger showers with bench and extra space in the HC rooms would make our cabin more enjoyable.

I'd also like to add that booking a suite is simply not in my budget and I doubt the showers are any larger in those anyway.

Your kids are going to love the HC room and everyone is right Carnival HAS to fill the ship, and most HC people book months and months in advance.

If i was you, I would switch rooms with them LOL

And CruisekittyFL, handicap does not always mean wheelchair. If he is a big guy and needs the bench and grab bars and extra space then book it. They still MIGHT move you but if they don't at least you have a room that can help him enjoy the cruise. IMO (and yes I am HC and in a wheelchair)

have a great night

Ok folks, after reading this entire thread, I have a somewhat opposite question - what if you already booked a regular cabin, but would like to move INTO a handicapped cabin a day or two prior to sailing (providing of course one is still available)? Can you call and request a room change?

Has anyone done this?

I feel that it would not be fair to actual handicapped guests to book a HC room from the start. Plus, if I did and someone who really needs that room gets it and I get bumped somewhere else, that would not be fun.

The reason I am curious is because hubby is a big guy (read "teddy bear") and hates the tiny showers (can't bend down at all). The larger showers with bench and extra space in the HC rooms would make our cabin more enjoyable.

I'd also like to add that booking a suite is simply not in my budget and I doubt the showers are any larger in those anyway.

Has Teddy Bear checked out the spa showers? They are very roomy.

I get upset when ppl take H.C cabins. When I am on line trying to fine a cruise and it shows all of the cabins are full, it makes it very hard. You can not just say that you need a H.C room , just so you can have more space, you have to have med. reports saying why you need it. They will not just take you word for it. Believe me all of us H.C. ppl wish we did not need them. Just because we are getting older does not mean that we don't still love to cruise;)

I'm shocked they put a 16 & 14 year old in a cabin with no adult. We traveled with two 20 year old and we had to book my daughter and me in one room and her boyfriend and my husband in another. There had to be a person 21 and over. Once we got on board, they gave us room keys so we could sleep accordingly. I'd check and see if there is a second arrangement and switch it, so you don't have a surprise....like moving the kids out of the handicap room....and then realizing there is not an adult....causing name changes in both room.....which could cause change fees. If you can it now.....it was Carnivals fault for booking the kids in a handicap room. They should be able to change it no charge...

If they drop the cabin it will just become an unrestricted cabin again, that anyone can book. The closer to sail the more of the Handicapped cabin show up to be booked by anyone. Stay in the cabin and if Carnival needs it they will move you. Handicapped cabins only show up in the available cabin selection once the HC restriction has been lifted. I just went over this with the Diamond desk because of a move in cabins I just made. As others has stated they have to fill the ships.

I'm shocked they put a 16 & 14 year old in a cabin with no adult. We traveled with two 20 year old and we had to book my daughter and me in one room and her boyfriend and my husband in another. There had to be a person 21 and over. Once we got on board, they gave us room keys so we could sleep accordingly. I'd check and see if there is a second arrangement and switch it, so you don't have a surprise....like moving the kids out of the handicap room....and then realizing there is not an adult....causing name changes in both room.....which could cause change fees. If you can it now.....it was Carnivals fault for booking the kids in a handicap room. They should be able to change it no charge...

You were booked this way because Boyfriend is not related to you. No different if DD brought her BFF.

That is not true... As long as you are within 3 cabins of your minor children, you can book them in the cabin by themselves... Have done it plently of times... Doesn't matter if they're related to you or not..

Now, today, because of the new Cheers program, booking with one adult and one minor in each cabin can be a good idea if only one adult wants the Cheers Program :) :) :)