Shopping Tips - Duty Free and on-board?

New cruise person here. I've only had 1 7 day cruise on Carnival, (western Caribbean) last summer and now we're planning to see the eastern Caribbean with RCI this coming March!

On the Carnival Cruise - I was rather astonished to witness near hysteria when they placed some watches on sale - Regular $100 - on sale for $20!!!!! They were unveiled on a sea day with tons of people around and there was a frenzy! I have to admit that I got caught up in the frenzy, but then changed my mind when lining up at the cash register. I realized I was buying a cheap watch that I didn't want - that was no-where near $100 in value and I felt like a sucker and walked away.

Does RCI have stunts like that? It was really weird.

And I know nothing about Duty Free shopping in the Caribbean and I'm intrigued - we're off to Barbadoes, Puerto Rico, St. Martin St. Croix, St. Lucia and Antigua. Are the same bargains available on all of the islands or does each island have a speciality? I understand jewelry is a good deal - but I should do some research before so I know what I'm doing - any tips?

Thank you in advance for any information at all!

"Stunts"? Well, of course they cater to the crowds on sea days, especially. People are bored and tend to browse and shop. They buy things they might not normally buy. The jewelry sparkles because there are spotlights shining directly on them. The signs say "40% off" or something fabulous like that. They aren't stunts, but more so cleverly appealing sales pitches.

Something they will not do is to put their regular merchandise on sale. They have separate items that they use for their "sales" (what you witnessed on your first cruise). What I mean to say is, you will not see a $400.00 watch discounted on the last day. Can you imagine the uproar if they did that? What about the passenger who paid full price for it on Day 2? See what I mean?

Having said that, if there is something you want and you are happy with the price, by all means purchase it onboard. It will be a nice reminder of your cruise. My husband bought himself a nice watch last cruise and loves it and wears it every day. Just know your prices before buying; you can check out the prices for jewelry, watches, and perfumes in port, and then buy it onboard if the price is better (you'll always come "home" to the ship, right?).

Enjoy your RCI cruise. :)

IMHO the best islands for shopping are St. Thomas and St. Maarten. The islands you mention have limited shopping...not as extensive as the ones I mentioned.

If you're looking for something specific, do your homework before leaving home. Check pricing where you usually shop and online so you'll know whether you're getting a good deal or not. Be aware that electronics purchased in the Caribbean may not have a warranty valid in the US.

I haven't cruised on RCI, but if they're like other cruise lines, they'll have shopping presentations. Be aware that stores pay to be promoted. Don't take the statements made in shopping presentations as gospel. There are many fine stores who don't pay to be included in onboard presentations.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

I never shop at the 'recommended" stores...I tend to know what I am buying when I shop, but I don't usually make big purchases in the Caribbean...

Generally I stick with booze, and occasionally camera stuff, and once a watch.

I tend to follow the crew, they know where the real deals are....