Cruise maryland 411!!

megr1125

http://mojitomegcruisebaltimore.blogspot.com/

That's a link to a blog I started with Cruise Maryland info...by no means it is the total package, but I just got some stuff together...

I didn't put all hotels in there, and only put places that I have seen or stayed in, or that friends of mine have used.

I left out the oft-maligned Best Western on O'Donnell street as most of us here think that it's NOT a good choice.....

Have a look, and I guess use this thread to ask your Baltimore questions..

I will update it as I go...and again, I have cruised from there many times and just put it together as a help (hopefully) to others.... I can certainly add things....

As for dining, well I picked places that have been suggested to me......

Enjoy

Edited by megr1125

Thanks so much for this. It is greatly appreciated. I just booked the Fairfield Inn and Suites in White Marsh earlier today. They have the cruise package on their website under deals and promotions.

$149 for room (one night) and free breakfast next day with transport to and from pier and free parking up to 10 days. We are doing the 10 day eastern carr. next April. Since the parking would cost us $150, it is like getting the room for $20 (the cost of taxes).

Since I have never been in the area, I was totally unsure of where to stay. The hotel looks beautiful on the website and glad to hear it is in a good area. Nice Amenites also.

Thanks again.

Suzanne

You're welcome!! Yes, it's a nice place.....and there is a LOT of stuff nearby...just be aware that the I-95 in the area has a LOT of construction, so be sure you're properly caffeinated !!!

Plenty of shops and places to eat as well....you're good....

You're welcome!! Yes, it's a nice place.....and there is a LOT of stuff nearby...just be aware that the I-95 in the area has a LOT of construction, so be sure you're properly caffeinated !!!

Plenty of shops and places to eat as well....you're good....

We are coming down from LI. When you travel from here we learn all too fast how notorious I95 can be for construction. A lot of NJ is like that also. That is the main reason we are going down the day before..you never know with I95.

We are going down early on Monday so we can have time to enjoy the area a little. And maybe take in a nice crab cake dinner!! YUMM!!!

Suzanne

We are coming down from LI. When you travel from here we learn all too fast how notorious I95 can be for construction. A lot of NJ is like that also. That is the main reason we are going down the day before..you never know with I95.

We are going down early on Monday so we can have time to enjoy the area a little. And maybe take in a nice crab cake dinner!! YUMM!!!

Suzanne

Since you are ciming down I95 for some great crab cakes I would recommend Boxhill pizzeria in Abingdon. http://www.boxhillpizzeria.com

They are about 5 minutes off of the interstate yes it's a pizza place BUT their crab cakes are the best in the area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We are looking at transportation options from NYC to Baltimore Cruise Port. Amtrak or Bus. Peter Pan/Grey Hound is out there schedule does not work.

Amtrak is $200 RT

Bolt $98 RT

Bolt Bus drop off is said to be near Penn Station Baltimore-1578 Maryland Ave. 1578 Maryland Avenue., Baltimore, MD 21201

I assume that it is easy to get a cab to the pier from here arrival 11:15am

Megabus $86 RT

MegaBus we can get there an hour earlier but the drop off is Marsh Park & Ride lot, located in the northern suburbs of Baltimore near the intersection of White Marsh Boulevard and Honeygo Boulevard. They don't give an address.

Any ideas on this location?

TIA

We are looking at transportation options from NYC to Baltimore Cruise Port. Amtrak or Bus. Peter Pan/Grey Hound is out there schedule does not work.

Amtrak is $200 RT

Bolt $98 RT

Bolt Bus drop off is said to be near Penn Station Baltimore-1578 Maryland Ave. 1578 Maryland Avenue., Baltimore, MD 21201

I assume that it is easy to get a cab to the pier from here arrival 11:15am

Megabus $86 RT

MegaBus we can get there an hour earlier but the drop off is Marsh Park & Ride lot, located in the northern suburbs of Baltimore near the intersection of White Marsh Boulevard and Honeygo Boulevard. They don't give an address.

Any ideas on this location?

TIA

Let me see what I can find out for you...I have a friend in that area...

Cab from Balt Penn Station or there abouts should be $20-ish bucks...from the Park & Ride, maybe 40? It's about 20 minutes north...

Edited by megr1125

Bolt looks like it is 2 blocks from where it used to be, which was at Balt Penn Station...it was moved due to traffic congestion.

I would guess that if there were not a cab there, you'd have to walk 2 blocks to the train station and get a cab there

Personally I would take the train...if you have AAA or if you're a senior and book at least 3 days ahead you can get a discount.

It would be more comfortable, you can walk around a little and there are more restrooms, plus a snack bar...Also be sure to allow an extra hour...so if you wanted to get there around 11, go for a train that gets to Baltimore at 10 instead...sometimes Amtrak has to deal with broken equipment, broken local commuter trains, bad power stuff, or, what happens too much these days, trespassers...

(Meaning if you planned on the train getting in at 11, go for one an hour earlier or so, also the price may be different)

Edited by megr1125

The Megabus bus drop off is a right outside a park and ride parking lot near Idea in the White Mrarsh Mall area. There will be no place to catch a taxi as this is on the fringe area of the mall. I would suggest the Bolt bus as it would be closer and easier as well cheaper to catch a taxi to port.

Thanks all, so mega is out.

We may even take a one way rental JFK to BWI as we need a car (don't own one in Brooklyn) to take the pets to the in-laws the day before. Our ZipCar weekend rental is $135 where a one way is (after taxes) $129 (ZipCar you don't pay for gas/insurance).

A Noon pickup from JFK $5 (Monthly Metrocard) bring the pets, get a free dinner... come home load the car and next day drive 3.5 hours to BWI and $35 taxi might work out overall.

We are leaning in taking Bolt Bus back for $42 total.

Thanks again for the help, still trying to make up our minds plus can't make reservation with Bolt bus for two more weeks when they open up, maybe we'll snag a $1 or $5 fare?

Suzanne

Try Timbuktu for the best crab cakes..off MD100 at Coca Cola Drive

Edited by smalltimecruiser100

Hello Everyone...One of our cruises will also be next April out of Baltimore. I know I have OCD, and, have driven myself so crazy trying to figure out where to stay the night prior to our cruise.

We ruled out downtown Baltimore and the Inner Harbor. We are going to take the Amtrak to the Amtrak station near the BWI Airport, so, staying in a suburban hotel is our choice.

I've looked at hotels in Hanover, Elkridge, Hanover, Glen Burnie and Lintchicum Heights. I've narrowed it down to the Best Western Plus on Dorsey Road, NOT, O'Donnell St in Elkridge that has received excellent reviews, The Holiday Inn Express in Hanover, and, the Wingate by Wyndam in Lintchicum Heights.

I see White Marsh has also been listed. What a hard decision. It seems like most of these locations are almost the same distance from their property to the Amtrak station and airport, and, about the same distance from their property to the cruise port, and, they all provide shuttle service either FREE or in a package to and from the Amtrak station and cruise port.

So, how do you really decide, especially of your criteria is a nice, newer property with nice clean rooms and bathrooms, and close by dining options. Not concerned about shopping. By time we arrive, we will only have time to check in, eat dinner, then retire for the night.

When you look on Trip Advisor and other sites, it gets more confusing because just like anything else, some people say these hotels are great, and some say just the opposite.

Not sure about White Marsh area as I haven't looked. By time I get done looking, it will be cruise time. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts to relax my mixed up, confused mind that is probably over reacting to everything, please let me know.

Thanks

Dave

White Marsh is not really a good choice for you since you're coming on the train and there is no station close by.

So...you're left with the hotels in the Hanover/Linthicum/airport area..

The Wingate has a couple dining options that are walkable (and i think they have an airport shuttle/rail shuttle that could take you a little farther, as would the other 2.)

I haven't been in the Wingate to stay in a couple years, but I was near it a few weeks ago and it still looks nice and well maintained...

I've stayed at the HIE but again, not recently, but I had no complaints.....I avoid Best Westerns, but the one in Elkridge is popular with CCers..

Reviews are just opinions..and I tend to ignore them....especially the really glowing or really lousy ones (unless of course I wrote them!)

Try the Hyatt Place as well....it's close to the Wingate and the staff is VERY nice....I stay there often. They have a cruise package but it needs to be booked through a TA through a wholesaler....you could PROBABLY call them and get more info....

I also like the Towne Place suites Arundel Mills...no cruise package, but it's a good place to stay..

Again, White Marsh is 20-ish minutes north of the pier, and NOT good for those arriving by rail.

hth

Well, since I have plenty of time to cancel, I have booked the Best Western Plus in Elkbridge, the Holiday Inn Express in Hanover, and the Wingate in Linthicum. Not sure which one I will choose.

Maybe it will just boil down to how far away each one is to the Amtrak Station and Cruise Port.

Everything else I have read seems to be about the same, such as the breakfast, room and bed quality and location.

I did read somewhere, but forgot, where someone said a few hotels in all of these areas share a shuttle service. Meaning that it could take longer for service because they have to pick up passengers at four hotels versus just one.

I'm trying to find out if any of the three hotels provide their own shuttle service, or, have shared shuttle service. I guess that will warrant a phone call.

Suzanne

If you make it into downtown Baltimore check out Faidley's Seafood in the Lexington Market. They have very good crabcakes.

Well, since I have plenty of time to cancel, I have booked the Best Western Plus in Elkbridge, the Holiday Inn Express in Hanover, and the Wingate in Linthicum. Not sure which one I will choose.

Maybe it will just boil down to how far away each one is to the Amtrak Station and Cruise Port.

Everything else I have read seems to be about the same, such as the breakfast, room and bed quality and location.

I did read somewhere, but forgot, where someone said a few hotels in all of these areas share a shuttle service. Meaning that it could take longer for service because they have to pick up passengers at four hotels versus just one.

I'm trying to find out if any of the three hotels provide their own shuttle service, or, have shared shuttle service. I guess that will warrant a phone call.

AfAIK ,they all have their own shuttles...some of the Marriott flavors share, and the Sheraton/Westin do as well.

BUT I have seen shuttles for the Wingate and the BW. I can't remember the Hampton......

They're all within 5-10 minutes or so of the station, with the Wingate likely being the newest of the hotels....there's a Cracker Barrel sort of opposite the hotel (essentially), and a Bob Evans a parking lot or so away, plus a Ruby Tuesday another lot away..

The Wingate is PROBABLY the closest to the pier, again by maybe 5-10 minutes.....

whew....

Being a seafood lover, I'm sure we will end up at a great seafood restaurant. I have read other comments about I-95. I don't know if one hotel's location is in a less congested area than the others, or, if one hotel has a better and faster shuttle system than another, but I suppose, to some people, they can become issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the Wingate update. I'm making progress. Who-Ray!!!

Have narrowed down to Wingate and Best Western Plus in Elkbridge, NOT on O' Donnell Street. This is a major hurdle for me.

I have eliminated The Holiday Inn Express, even though that's the hotel brand we normally stay at.

After reading some reviews, and not seeing any real advantage over the other two hotels, plus, their cruise package about $60 more than the other two at $194, I figure they should drop,out of the running.