What's Civitavecchia like?

Hello, can anyone tell me what there is to do in Civitavecchia as we go there in a few weeks & have only just come back from Rome so don't want to go there again so soon. I believe there may be a shuttle bus into the town, but might be wrong.

Hello, can anyone tell me what there is to do in Civitavecchia as we go there in a few weeks & have only just come back from Rome so don't want to go there again so soon. I believe there may be a shuttle bus into the town, but might be wrong.

There is a shuttle bus to the port entrance.

I am afraid that, apart from the indoor market, we found Civitavecchia to be very uninteresting; it was the only day on any of our cruises that we have been back on board within just over an hour of getting off the ship.

As most people had gone to Rome w enjoyed having the ship virtually to ourselves - no MDR open for lunch that day but both buffet restaurants were open.

Hi Mower Lady, we have been to Civitavecchia twice (never got to Rome yet as DH has been, but determined to go next time :rolleyes:) I liked Civitavecchia though, it has a beach and some nice bars facing the sea. Also if you go up into the town, you will find some shops and a market (I bought a nice handbag there:)) If you Google it and click on images you should see some pictures of the beach etc. We were given a newpaper when we were there, which was especially for tourists (in English) with a map and telling you what is on. I don't know if they still do it, but it was quite useful. I think it is a nice place and probably gets missed by the people who go to Rome :)

I don't now about a shuttle bus as where we docked was right by the town, but there could be more than one docking place :confused:

Think I`ve been there 3 times...Theres a free shuttle to the port gates that serves all the cruise ships in port.Pretty uninspiring place but as Linda says,some nice along the see front.

Bonus is you`ll have no problems securing a lounger on the ship when your in Civitavecchia for the reason given by Campolady.The ships like the Mary Celeste

We did Rome but our young guide on the bus to Rome was from Civitavecchia. He told us on the way back that when we were seeing the sights in Rome he visited his girlfriend, she cooked him a nice lunch then they had a "little sleep" oh aye!! Anyway....he told us he is proud of his town.

When we booked Treasures of the Med, DH said he was not taking his DJ and not going to Rome (we have already been there for a hotel holiday). Well, we'll see about that, but I'm pleased that there is somewhere to have a little walk and back to the Dream for a quiet afternoon. :)

We'll be there next week and don't want to go to Rome again. We were wondering whether to get off the ship. Think we will now. Will be nice to have a wander round the town then back to a nice quiet ship and a sunbed!

We'll be there next week and don't want to go to Rome again. We were wondering whether to get off the ship. Think we will now. Will be nice to have a wander round the town then back to a nice quiet ship and a sunbed!
I think you will like it Sheila and the market has some lovely HANDBAG stalls :D

Just noticed post as flicking through... Just to chip in... There's a small tourist train stops outside of one of the cafés outside port entrance - come out of port and walk along the seafront and you will sea it. It does a tour of the town and takes your to the terma taurine bath ruins ( think that what it was called) - in the hills above the town, tour the ruins, back on the same train and back to the town and continue the tour. I think it was about an hour and a half and cost was few euros ( paid on the train) and included entrance to ruins, very pleasant! Hope this helps :)

It is amazing the amount of knowledge on here, we too are on board next week and have been to Rome 4 times so a stroll into town and a quiet tan top up sounds good and a new handbag sounds even better!!

Thanks guys

When I read the heading of this thread I thought wow I've been there three times and I honestly haven't a clue.:o We either went to the train station or the bus to Rome.

At least some people have been to the town to answer your query.

Thanks for all the comments, some interesting things for me to think about there.

As some of you know we will be travelling with a wheelchair user on the next cruise, so my research for the ports is being looked at from a different perspective.

I will be writing my review through a different pair of eyes next time.

Just noticed post as flicking through... Just to chip in... There's a small tourist train stops outside of one of the cafés outside port entrance - come out of port and walk along the seafront and you will sea it. It does a tour of the town and takes your to the terma taurine bath ruins ( think that what it was called) - in the hills above the town, tour the ruins, back on the same train and back to the town and continue the tour. I think it was about an hour and a half and cost was few euros ( paid on the train) and included entrance to ruins, very pleasant! Hope this helps :)

That sounds very good, Tactic. Thank you. :).