young boy's aged 11 and 16 smart shorts mdr

The first part is an honest question. Does this rule pertain to babies and toddlers?

The second part is an observations. Other cruise lines of similar or greater expense allow this, so it's clearly not a matter of not acting like an adult.

The matter of "acting like an adult" has nothing to do with which cruise line you're on & whether or not they allow shorts. It has everything to do with whether or not you respect & follow the explicitly stated rules of the line you chose to sail on.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Yes, which is why I believe the prohibition of shorts will be dropped at some point. I think most people don't care if someone wears a pair of shorts.

Sherri:)

I think you are right, most people (outside here) don't, but seems a lot on here do. It is funny how people argue that you shouldn't break the rules, but I would venture to say everyone on here breaks rules at some point.

Yeah, but I've been told that our opinions don't count until we've got an undisclosed number of RCI cruises under our belts.

:D

I think all opinions count but in any business the best customers have more say

:cj

And total non-customers have less! :D

You, too, are having a problem differentiating between a suggestion and a rule. Pity. Do you also advocate sending someone out to reserve six pool loungers early in the morning for the whole family? After all, it is YOUR vacation and that rule is often not enforced either.

No, what you are wearing will certainly not spoil my dinner but if we happened to be seated at the same table I'm afraid I'd be mentally putting you in the category of a self-centered all about me individual. I have little regard for that type of person. No, I would never say anything as I've got too much class for that - although if I've had a couple of predinner drinks in the CL, I might look pityingly in your direction and say oh, no, they lost your luggage!

Interesting, you would judge someone on what they are wearing without a single word of conversation and claim to have class.

Yeah, but I've been told that our opinions don't count until we've got an undisclosed number of RCI cruises under our belts.

:D

How true... thus, look at my sig.

You have to admit - authoritative posts about aspects of the cruise experience on a line the poster has never set foot on don't mean much. :rolleyes:

The matter of "acting like an adult" has nothing to do with which cruise line you're on & whether or not they allow shorts. It has everything to do with whether or not you respect & follow the explicitly stated rules of the line you chose to sail on.

*IF* the rule for casual evenings were relaxed to state that shorts are allowed, would you ever take this option? (you obviously would not be forced to) I know it's kind of tangential but I am curious. If you don't want to answer that is fine as well.

Judgments are not always unfounded, nor are judgments arrived at but not verbalized displaying any condescension. In this case, the silent judgment that the person openly displaying their attitude of "I don't have to pay attention to or follow the rules, and I don't intend to" is rude & self-centered is simply... correct.

And she said nothing about confronting them.

So if I understand you correctly, a person walks into the dining room with shorts on, you will immediately judge them as rude and self-centered? Without knowing anything about them or their situation.

Edited by ratpackx5

You have to admit - authoritative posts about aspects of the cruise experience on a line the poster has never set foot on don't mean much. :rolleyes:

Since I assume you are directing this at me, will you please direct me to the post in which I claimed to be an authority on the "Cruise Experience" aboard RCI? For someone who has stated quite emphatically that you don't consider my opinion to be worth anything, you certainly seem to spend a great deal of energy going out of your way to attack me. Why?

*IF* the rule for casual evenings were relaxed to state that shorts are allowed, would you ever take this option? (you obviously would not be forced to) I know it's kind of tangential but I am curious. If you don't want to answer that is fine as well.

I might - not every night and not even the majority, but I might. After all, at that point the ambiance/atmosphere of the room and experience will have changed. The "rules are not made for me" minority already show up in shorts, so once "smart shorts" (or whatever other silly adjective one wants to apply to nicer shorts) are officially allowed, I'm willing to bet that same minority will be showing up in gym shorts, sleeveless tees & flip flops.

You were asking LetsGetWet but I'll throw my 2 cents in...

We choose to abide by the suggested dress code, as I feel that is the polite thing to do. If they specifically allowed shorts, I probably would wear them some. I'm not anti-shorts at all, if I'm not at work during spring and summer I'm in shorts pretty much.

I just think it's rude not to follow the dress code, whether its a rule or suggestion or guideline or whatever label you want to give it. Since I try to avoid being rude if I can, we follow it. There's really no downside to following it outside of 5 minutes to change clothes.

IF I was adamant that I am wearing shorts at dinner no matter what, I want to be comfortable, it's too hot to wear pants in the air conditioned dining room, I don't dress up on vacation blah blah, I would just avoid the MDR for dinner. Seems like common sense but hey, that's just me.

Edited by BamaGuy44

I think all opinions count but in any business the best customers have more say

:cj

Not exactly true, if there are only two of those and 20 potential customers, the company will do what is necessary to get those 20, regardless of what the 2 say.

This dead horse has been more than "beaten" to death.

The OP asked her questions and got many answers including the information shown on the RCCL website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

Since I assume you are directing this at me, will you please direct me to the post in which I claimed to be an authority on the "Cruise Experience" aboard RCI? For someone who has stated quite emphatically that you don't consider my opinion to be worth anything, you certainly seem to spend a great deal of energy going out of your way to attack me. Why?

Not attacking you, just stating information. On this cruise you've stated things about the RCI MDR atmosphere, not going to take the time to go back through all your other RCI forum posts...

You were asking LetsGetWet but I'll throw my 2 cents in...

We choose to abide by the suggested dress code, as I feel that is the polite thing to do. If they specifically allowed shorts, I probably would wear them some. I'm not anti-shorts at all, if I'm not at work during spring and summer I'm in shorts pretty much.

I just think it's rude not to follow the dress code, whether its a rule or suggestion or guideline or whatever label you want to give it. Since I try to avoid being rude if I can, we follow it. There's really no downside to following it outside of 5 minutes to change clothes.

IF I was adamant that I am wearing shorts at dinner no matter what, I want to be comfortable, it's too hot to wear pants in the air conditioned dining room, I don't dress up on vacation blah blah, I would just avoid the MDR for dinner. Seems like common sense but hey, that's just me.

First round of drinks is on me if we end up on the same ship some day... :)

I might - not every night and not even the majority, but I might. After all, at that point the ambiance/atmosphere of the room and experience will have changed.

I appreciate your honesty.

The "rules are not made for me" minority already show up in shorts, so once "smart shorts" (or whatever other silly adjective one wants to apply to nicer shorts) are officially allowed, I'm willing to bet that same minority will be showing up in gym shorts, sleeveless tees & flip flops.

That's possible. That doesn't describe me. I don't think it describes you either.

If that happens I accept it as the "price to pay", so to speak, for greater personal options. I cannot control everyone. it's a big ship with a lot of people. Not my circus, not my monkeys. You and I are probably closer to agreement on some things than it may have appeared over the last few days.

This dead horse has been more than "beaten" to death.

The OP asked her questions and got many answers including the information shown on the RCCL website.

But there is still more to discuss. And to learn.

Patience, Grasshopper.

Not attacking you, just stating information. On this cruise you've stated things about the RCI MDR atmosphere, not going to take the time to go back through all your other RCI forum posts...

I've stated my opinions about MDR atmosphere as described by others in this forum as witnessed on another line and as seen in Videos posted widely on the internet. If you don't care about my opinion I don't see why you keep jumping on every post, however since you seem to be the number one poster on this subject, perhaps that is just the law of averages. Since I have spent quite a bit of money on RCI and am going to "set foot on this cruise line" I do feel I have a right to have an opinion on the matter.

If you don't care about my opinion, then you should keep your opinion on my opinion to yourself.

So if I understand you correctly, a person walks into the dining room with shorts on, you will immediately judge them as rude and self-centered? Without knowing anything about them or their situation.

The answer to that question is obvious. And that is exactly what I rail against - no one has the right to judge how another chooses to dress, especially if said dress is tolerated (as evidenced by lack of enforcement) by the cruise line.

My personal opinion is that shorts should not be worn in the MDR during dinner, as clearly posted. However, that is the current standard, and society (i.e. fare-paying passengers) will eventually decide the fate of that edict. We are beginning to see that now, especially as another, higher-priced cruise line is now permitting it.

It's a matter of time folks.

I might - not every night and not even the majority, but I might. After all, at that point the ambiance/atmosphere of the room and experience will have changed. The "rules are not made for me" minority already show up in shorts, so once "smart shorts" (or whatever other silly adjective one wants to apply to nicer shorts) are officially allowed, I'm willing to bet that same minority will be showing up in gym shorts, sleeveless tees & flip flops.

That would be OK to me, I am in the Caribbean, so spending the week in a more relaxed atmosphere would make it more enjoyable.:D