Anybody else had Mahogony Bay port cancelled?

cruisegal96

Just back from our cruise on Carnival Dream & feeling not quite satisfied after missing our port at Mahogony Bay Roatan. It was cancelled very quickly after the Capt announced too much wind & waves. It was a beautiful day, no bad weather. I just wonder how much this happens for this port? We've had ports cancelled before that couldn't anchor & tender to shore because of wind, but never knew this was a problem when there was an actual pier. We were so excited to go Roatan, very disappointed to miss it. :(

Just back from our cruise on Carnival Dream & feeling not quite satisfied after missing our port at Mahogony Bay Roatan. It was cancelled very quickly after the Capt announced too much wind & waves. It was a beautiful day, no bad weather. I just wonder how much this happens for this port? We've had ports cancelled before that couldn't anchor & tender to shore because of wind, but never knew this was a problem when there was an actual pier. We were so excited to go Roatan, very disappointed to miss it. :(

Sadly, you're not the first I've heard say this. They say it's just a difficult port to safely maneuver the ship around, and that even on a seemingly calm & sunny day the waters might just not be right for it. Sorry to hear you missed it :(

This does happen frequently.

The cove where Mahogany Bay ( a misnomer) is located is very shallow and as a result any wind action or tidal action can make it difficult for larger ships, like the Dream or the Breeze or the Magic to enter, or conversely leave. The ships back into the pier. Try maneuvering the largest RV you can find into a regular size parking lot slot with cars on either side and directly across from the spot. It's probably a bit easier than backing a large vessel into MBCC, but I doubt you'd attempt more than once. Better to have that Fun Day at Sea than to run aground. There's a rusted wreck of an old island freighter near the entrance to the cove. It wasn't put there intentionally.

We missed our MoBay port last year when on Magic due to winds. We ported in Coxen Hole instead. We made the most of it and took a small sight seeing tour and then went back to the ship. We are going again this year and fingers crossed we get to port in MoBay this time around.

Hmm, reading this does put some worry to our planning. Well not worry, but some concern.

We're going there on Carnival Conquest on Aug. 28/14. It's also the only port we had not been to. So hope to do some scuba diving there. Well, we may end up booking the excursion with the ship, as the pricing is actually better and it does use a reputable dive op (Anthony Keys).

We missed our MoBay port last year when on Magic due to winds. We ported in Coxen Hole instead. We made the most of it and took a small sight seeing tour and then went back to the ship. We are going again this year and fingers crossed we get to port in MoBay this time around.

Jamdug73, that's good that you at least got to Coxen Hole. There was a RC ship near us that we heard ported at CH later that day. It would have been nice to get off there after already having 2 days at sea, but instead we had a 3rd sea day in a row. We've had Labadee Haiti cancelled on 2 different cruises in the past. I guess some places we just aren't meant to go. :rolleyes: Hopefully you will make MoBay this time!

Edited by cruisegal96

We've been to Mahogany Bay twice and made our stops both times. Both of these were in January.

We much prefer Mahogany Bay to Coxen Hole where we always use to have to go.

LuLu

Yes it looks like MoBay is nicer than Coxen Hole. I know Carnival built the terminal in MoBay. We visited Grand Turk 2 years ago, the terminal Carnival built, it was beautiful! Nice shopping, beach & restaurants. One of our new favorite ports.

We missed this port back in April 2013 on Carnival Conquest. We were so disappointed as this was the only port we has not been to and we only booked excursion at this port :(

jjdshoe that's just like us. We booked this cruise because of MoBay. It was the one place we hadn't been & looked so nice. Very disappointing to miss a port. I guess now I know it's always a possibility, not just in an anchor & tender situation. I think we will stick to the Eastern Caribbean from now on.

Hmm, reading this does put some worry to our planning. Well not worry, but some concern.

We're going there on Carnival Conquest on Aug. 28/14. It's also the only port we had not been to. So hope to do some scuba diving there. Well, we may end up booking the excursion with the ship, as the pricing is actually better and it does use a reputable dive op (Anthony Keys).

Middleager, I wish I had seen threads about this before we booked, not sure if it would have changed our plans, but at least I would have been aware that it is sometimes a problem to port there. Hopefully you will make the port & not have any issues! Have a great cruise!!!