Child in Q4 cabin on QM2

KizuriSeascape

Again from the website -

<H2>Where can children dine?

Children are welcome to dine in any of the dining areas onboard.

Meals are not provided in the children's facilities however snacks are provided in the playrooms.

Children’s Tea

The Lido restaurant provides a designated children's tea, with parental supervision required. Further details and menus will be available on board.

A child's menu is also available in the main dining rooms.

Children's tea parties take place at the following locations at the approximate times:

• Queen Mary 2 - Chefs Galley 4:45pm to 5:30pm daily
  • Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth If there is a significant number of under 10 year olds, a children's tea buffet is held in the Lido from 5:00pm to 5:45pm daily. If there are only a few children on board, a formal set up is not offered however the food is always available in the Lido.

Full details will be supplied to you once on board.

Alternative Fine Dining

Children are more than welcome to dine in our Alternative Fine Dining Restaurants.

A children’s menu is not standard in these restaurants however please speak to the restaurant manager should your child have any special requirements.

</H2> Edited by hattie the cattie

Hi KizuriSeascape. Happy to read that your question has been answered directly by Cunard. I hope you understand that the posts given by experienced Cunard passengers were posted in good faith, however challenging those posts might appear. You see, we've seen too many passengers who have booked voyages based on certain expectations that ignore the reality of the situation - which is not to say that you are ignoring the reality of taking a one year old on a world cruise.

The world cruise you are booking is three months or more, yes? I was trying to think about how many diapers a one year old needs to pack for that amount of time. Then I wondered about the necessary immunizations, in addition to anti-malaria meds.

Sadly, what the world was when you were a child traveling the word is not the world today (speaking only from a health perspective). New and emerging diseases combined with increase in diseases that we thought were eradicated (such as polio) present a danger to world travelers, most especially young children.

And then is your comment, which is of concern:

"a cruise is a sanitized and safe way to enjoy travel with a baby."

From my personal experience: no cruise ship is sanitized -and it is unrealistic to expect that a ship could be sanitized. Ask frequent passengers about outbreaks of illness on board, and chances are you will find that respiratory and gastrointestinal illness are not uncommon - it goes with the territory when thousands of people from various ports are in a closed environment for days, weeks or months.

Best wishes.

Salacia

Common sense, common sense!:D

Some of you people absolutely amaze me, what has it got to do with anyone else if these people want to take their baby on a world cruise? Yes the child might get ill, yes the ship might not be sanitized - where is sanitized? Aeroplanes are disgusting places full of germs but I don't suppose anyone would be whinging about taking a child on an aeroplane. The baby probably crawls round on the floor at home and also there are probably stairs in their home - imagine the danger!! The person asked a simple question - he or she doesn't need to be judged by people on this forum on their parenting methods. To be honest if I had read some of these boards before I started cruising I probably would have been put off completely.

Again from the website -

</H2>

The question should have been has anyone taken/seen a young child in the alternate dining rooms. I know what the website says, the website says all dining areas but two separate Cunard advisors have told me I cannot take a toddler into the Queens Grill.

The question should have been has anyone taken/seen a young child in the alternate dining rooms. I know what the website says, the website says all dining areas but two separate Cunard advisors have told me I cannot take a toddler into the Queens Grill.

I've seen young children dining in the PG restaurants.

Yes, it is plain weird.

I posed the question, what would possess you to place a 1 year old in that situation? No response as yet.

From a health, welfare, safety perspective it is not something that most parents I know would even consider. The experience is also entirely wasted on such a young child, so that can't possibly be part of any justification for subjecting a small baby to such risk. Thus, it is both bizarre & weird.

It is a cue for the "each to their own" brigade (welcome!) and, the self indulgent - see the OP's " we are happy with our plans" remark. None of that will ever make it a sensible, practical or responsible decision however you dress it up. It may be why Cruise lines have to impose some restrictions!

This is one of the rudest responses I have ever seen on Cruise Critic!

To the original poster - we have taken our daughter on Cunard many, many times beginning when she was 14 months old (mostly transatlantics since I am British and the hubbie is American). All of those cruises have been wonderful. My hubbie is a pediatric ICU MD and a pediatrician and he is not worried about taking her on board at all. They have MDs on board and an infirmary up to the level of ventilators (respirators) if God forbid you ever needed it. I'm sure you have some kind of medivac health coverage too. I can think of no 'health concerns' that pertain only to children. Your child could get norovirus or bump into a wall just like any adult, that's life.

The nursery nurses are wonderful and the less kids the better, your child will get very individualized attention.

Your manners in restraining yourself in your response to rudeness are a credit to you and will no doubt result in a well-mannered child who is a joy to be around.

Edited by juicyjuju

Rude? I could find that offensive. I may need counselling. :)

So, anyone expressing a concern for the welfare of a child on a 3 month + cruise - to all points of the compass, not a 7 day TA, and/or a different opinion to yours is rude to you?

Sorry, I thought it was a public forum and it is a fairly controversial topic that has prompted a lively debate.

The mind boggles. (Is that "rude" too?)

I'm being a tad facetious to illustrate the point. I disagree with a lot of stuff on here but I don't get all precious about it it start & accusing people of being rude if they make their point in an emphatic or strident manner.

Edited by Pies4u

Rude? I could find that offensive. I may need counselling. :)

So, anyone expressing a concern for the welfare of a child on a 3 month + cruise - to all points of the compass, not a 7 day TA, and/or a different opinion to yours is rude to you?

Sorry, I thought it was a public forum and it is a fairly controversial topic that has prompted a lively debate. It's not the Oxford debating society or a Sunday school outing.

The mind boggles. (Is that "rude" too?)

I don't see that 2 parents taking a young child on a 3 month holiday at all controversial. I don't see that it is anyone's business other than the parents. The only advice sought was whether the TA was correct. All the sanctimonious responses are quite nauseating.

I don't see that 2 parents taking a young child on a 3 month holiday at all controversial. I don't see that it is anyone's business other than the parents. The only advice sought was whether the TA was correct. All the sanctimonious responses are quite nauseating.

That's alright then! Sorted.

Good to see that, at least, irony is alive & well!

Edited by Pies4u

I would really enjoy dining in the Queens Grill on a world cruise of about 100 days with a one-year-old child at a neighboring table. But is that just me?

I've never dined in the Queens Grill, but I imagine that it would be a much nicer environment for toddlers who don't like loud noises and hectic movements, such as they might experience in the main dining room.

To relate a personal experience (Britannia Category): My husband and I were celebrating an important anniversary on a QM2 cruise, so we requested a table for two, rather than our usual request to be seated at a table for six. Less than a foot away from our table was two adults and two children (approximately one and three years old, respectively). It was late seating. Clearly the toddlers were not appreciating being there, although their parents did the best they could, as did the waiters. For the first few nights, my husband and I smiled at the todlder's antics, saying that we were both from big families, and kids will be kids, etc. Unfortunately, we did not know their language, and they apparently didn't speak english, so any efforts at communication were to no avail.

To make a long story even longer, it got a bit tired after a few nights since my husband and I couldn't hear each other without talking loudly over the commotion inches away, which was unpleasant and just added volume to the noise. We decided to have our dinners elsewhere. (Yes, I know, we could have asked for a different table, but we've never done that.)

Anyway, I can only imagine Queens Grill Dining Room would provide a much better environment for a one year old than would the Britannia Dining Room.

ncfu, I hope you get the opportunity to experience what you wish for, to quote: "I would really enjoy dining in the Queens Grill on a world cruise of about 100 days with a one-year-old child at a neighboring table." Cheers, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Hi Salacia,

Yeah, sure. There are a few links there referring to babies from the FAQs so posted them all in case they are of interest to the OP.

Nursery - "The Play Zone is a permanently supervised play area, for toddlers and children aged between 6 months* and 7 years, on all ships. *Infants aged 6 months and 2 years are welcome to participate in the Children’s programme with parental supervision."

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/childrens_club

Food - "Yes we can provide Hipp Organic baby food jars - Stage 1 (4 months +) and Stage 2 (7 months +) in an assortment of savoury and dessert flavours. Alternatively, we can puree/mash adult food from the main restaurant menu."

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/baby_food

Baby equipment - (referring to bottle warmers, sterillisers, booster chairs, high chairs, baby baths) https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/travel_cot

Baby changing facilities - https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/baby_changing

Baby lifejackets - https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/Life_jackets

Thanks, bkecky. That's good information to have, and isn't easy to find on the Cunard website. Cheers, -S

This is one of the rudest responses I have ever seen on Cruise Critic!

To the original poster - we have taken our daughter on Cunard many, many times beginning when she was 14 months old (mostly transatlantics since I am British and the hubbie is American). All of those cruises have been wonderful. My hubbie is a pediatric ICU MD and a pediatrician and he is not worried about taking her on board at all. They have MDs on board and an infirmary up to the level of ventilators (respirators) if God forbid you ever needed it. I'm sure you have some kind of medivac health coverage too. I can think of no 'health concerns' that pertain only to children. Your child could get norovirus or bump into a wall just like any adult, that's life.

The nursery nurses are wonderful and the less kids the better, your child will get very individualized attention.

Your manners in restraining yourself in your response to rudeness are a credit to you and will no doubt result in a well-mannered child who is a joy to be around.

juicyjuju, not many children get to travel with their own personal pediatrician, as I'm sure you realize. (I'd say you're very lucky, but I'm sure it is the result of many years of study, hard work and sacrifice that you and your husband endured to get to where you are today. Kudos on your efforts.)

Regarding your statement that "I can think of no 'health concerns' that pertain only to children", please consult your pediatrician. It follows that if there were no health concerns that pertain only to children, would there would no need for pediatricians. But we know that there is a need, because children do have age specific health concerns. Just to state the obvious, health concerns vary by age and physical condition.

BTW, I hope you won't consider my comments rude, anymore than I would categorize your comments. It is a discussion, and no doubt we are all just trying to offer different opinions, with a dash of facts thrown into the mix :) -S.

Edited by Salacia

The fact that the OP asked the question, indicates that the OP already knew that taking a 3 month old on a world cruise was not the smartest thing to do,

As a military wife and mother I often travelled long distances with small children, but this was OUT OF NECESSITY, not because of choice.

If the OP wishes to do a world cruise, then I suggest the following.

a/ Leave the child with grandparents, aunts, cousins etc.

b/ Employ a nanny privately, to care for the child's needs , body functions, meals etc. in

a cabin just for the two of them, where all the needs can be met without encroaching

on the enjoyment of others.

Frankly if I had paid the cost of a World cruise I would NOT want a screaming , smelly (filled diaper) child encroaching on MY SPACE.

Gee...I don't know. I can picture a lovely little 12 month old being beautifully cared for in the penthouse by loving parents. A young mother with a one year old doesn't necessarily want her freedom to do all that the ship has to offer. With all that space.....I could imagine that it would be quite convenient. I cannot imagine packing all those diapers but they could be stockpiled in the first port....and replenished as needed.

I would be more worried about the food...but it sounds as if Cunard takes care of that nicely.

I wouldn't want to be next to a baby in the grills either but that may not even be the plan. Lots of room in the suite for nesting.