CARNIVAL FREEDOM 2.0 - She's back & better than ever!

eroller

One thing I've perceived, but not yet validate, is that on the ships that are under the spotlight, like TA's, John Heald cruises, and remodels with more than the usual fanfare, seem to be silently getting restored with some of the old amenities, and enjoying the positive PR that they are getting.

Like this post and your review.

I hope they are paying attention.

Thanks for the review . I was beginning to think that Carnival was sliding into a poorer cruise line with the quality disappearing in the food. My last cruise was on the Paradise and the food quality was poor (first time in 11 cruises) and I had read many reviews saying the same. It is nice to read that at least on one ship food quality is still important . I am sailing in September on the Freedom and Now I am looking forward to it.

Thanks for the review and pics.

I'm surprised you didn't like Breeze as we loved it especially the decor...light and airy, Freedom looks kind of heavy and dark to me. We did sail here some years ago and it was not our favorite but this was before the upgrades.

Goes to show you everyone likes different things.

Thanks for the review and pics.

I'm surprised you didn't like Breeze as we loved it especially the decor...light and airy, Freedom looks kind of heavy and dark to me. We did sail here some years ago and it was not our favorite but this was before the upgrades.

Goes to show you everyone likes different things.

I thought BREEZE looked good on the surface, but after a week onboard the decor grew dull and I'm not sure how well it will hold up. A lot of those cheap laminates were already peeling off. Sort of reminded me of IKEA. I did love some of the WOW's like the ropes course, extended outdoor promenade, and the slides, but BREEZE for me lacked the basics, which are good food, service, and entertainment. All three were lacking, and as I mentioned in the review the ship was also extremely crowded and very warm. It was like they turned down the a/c to conserve fuel. I didn't like that at all. Walking the interior promenade from front to back at night was like heading cattle. Not fun. The promenade on FREEDOM is so much wider and spacious, for less people! Getting a drink on BREEZE was near impossible as there were just not enough staff for all the people, and the dining room food and service were pretty bad. Not what I have come to expect of Carnival. Thankfully FREEDOM excelled in all those areas. While not as new and shiny as BREEZE, overall I much preferred the entire experience and ship.

Thanks for the review . I was beginning to think that Carnival was sliding into a poorer cruise line with the quality disappearing in the food. My last cruise was on the Paradise and the food quality was poor (first time in 11 cruises) and I had read many reviews saying the same. It is nice to read that at least on one ship food quality is still important . I am sailing in September on the Freedom and Now I am looking forward to it.

Seems to be hit and miss. Last year on the BREEZE the food was pretty bad in the MDR. This year on FREEDOM it was excellent along with the service. I guess you never know.

One thing I've perceived, but not yet validate, is that on the ships that are under the spotlight, like TA's, John Heald cruises, and remodels with more than the usual fanfare, seem to be silently getting restored with some of the old amenities, and enjoying the positive PR that they are getting.

Like this post and your review.

I hope they are paying attention.

You could be onto something, and I hope you're right that Carnival is paying attention. I did receive the post-cruise survey and like always I completed it. Sometimes I feel those are completed in vain, but hopefully not.

I thought BREEZE looked good on the surface, but after a week onboard the decor grew dull and I'm not sure how well it will hold up. A lot of those cheap laminates were already peeling off. Sort of reminded me of IKEA. I did love some of the WOW's like the ropes course, extended outdoor promenade, and the slides, but BREEZE for me lacked the basics, which are good food, service, and entertainment. All three were lacking, and as I mentioned in the review the ship was also extremely crowded and very warm. It was like they turned down the a/c to conserve fuel. I didn't like that at all. Walking the interior promenade from front to back at night was like heading cattle. Not fun. The promenade on FREEDOM is so much wider and spacious, for less people! Getting a drink on BREEZE was near impossible as there were just not enough staff for all the people, and the dining room food and service were pretty bad. Not what I have come to expect of Carnival. Thankfully FREEDOM excelled in all those areas. While not as new and shiny as BREEZE, overall I much preferred the entire experience and ship.

I don't think Breeze was sailing full so we didn't have that problem, MDR food was very good and well as service....funny how it differs from cruise to cruise and even server to server. Carnivals entertainment to me isn't good in general except for a show here and there, we did see one good one on Breeze, there was also a live band nightly in the Ocean Plaza. The one thing I think Breeze has that's a plus is all the open comfortable public spaces. On the negative there was a BAD sewer smell from the piano bar back on most decks that became a problem for us.

Anyway this is about your review and I enjoyed reading and seeing the pictures, thanks for taking the time to share!

Edited by Midwestgal

It is interesting how the overall experience can vary from ship to ship, cruise to cruise, and person to person. Lots of variables there that can change and of course we all have different expectations and desires.

There were many things I liked about BREEZE but overall I felt FREEDOM was the far better ship and it was better run. Also the crew seemed much happier and they really went out of their way to make me feel special. That never happened on BREEZE. They were so overworked they barely had time to breathe.

Of course all this can change and perhaps if I sail on BREEZE again the experience will be much better

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It is interesting how the overall experience can vary from ship to ship, cruise to cruise, and person to person. Lots of variables there that can change and of course we all have different expectations and desires.

There were many things I liked about BREEZE but overall I felt FREEDOM was the far better ship and it was better run. Also the crew seemed much happier and they really went out of their way to make me feel special. That never happened on BREEZE. They were so overworked they barely had time to breathe.

Of course all this can change and perhaps if I sail on BREEZE again the experience will be much better

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I totally agree, as I said Breeze wasn't a full sailing so this can be the BIG difference as to our cruise from yours.

I bet you would live Liberty as it was a great cruise...something about the crew and other passangers that made it so good. I'm glad they added Alchemy Bar to Freedom it's my favorite spot

Edited by Midwestgal

Hi, just wondering if you went to any of the production shows at night. What entertainment did they have?

There were three production shows and I attended two of them. One was all 80's music and another was called 88 Keys which featured music from vocalists like Billy Joel, Elton John, and Barry Manilow. I actually enjoyed both shows, but mainly because the music was so good. The singers/dancers were just ok and there are only 8 of them (compared to about 20 like there used to be). There are not many sets and all the music is pre-recorded. To me although enjoyable, the productions seemed rather low-budget especially when the singers/dancers have to push all the sets (mainly stairs) around themselves. I sort of felt sorry for them but they were really energetic and sure tried so I give them a lot of credit for that.

The other main entertainment was the comedy shows and I didn't attend any of those. As a rule I tend not to enjoy cruise ship comedians.

Hope this helps.

Hi, just wondering if you went to any of the production shows at night. What entertainment did they have?

The only show we went to was Evolution, it was a comedy & juggling guy who was really good. I gave up on carnival shows as like I said I don't think there too good. There was a live band every night.

Great review and excellent pictures!

I am very excited as it will be our first cruise & I will be getting MARRIED on the Freedom Dec 19.

WOW very exciting! First cruise and tying the knot! Congratulations!!

We were on Freedom last Sept for a 6 day cruise and loved that ship. Going on the same 5 day as you reviewed next month, July 21st. By your pictures and review can see can see we'll love it even more. Went on the Miracle this past February. ...boring. ..Victory last month was great but sure Freedom will be the best!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the pictures! Gosh just what I needed. We're going on the Freedom next week! :)

We'll be joining you. I take tons of pictures, so those who enjoy looking at them like I do should be happy. 7 days babyyyyyyyy!

Ernie is spot on about the quality of the fittings on CARNIVAL BREEZE. While we had a great experience last month on her (we did a B2B, first on the BREEZE and then the FREEDOM), it was pretty obvious that the BREEZE – which we enjoyed – was done on the cheap. Like Ernie I've been on a lot of ships, and, honestly, I've never been on a ship as young as the BREEZE that needed as much work. FREEDOM seemed so much more 'solid' and, although she had just come from dry dock, even areas that were not touched looked better. Don't get me wrong, we had an excellent time on the BREEZE...the service and food were top-notch, and we really liked the ship. But it's pretty obvious that, as far as hardware goes, she's in need of some work.

Ernie is spot on about the quality of the fittings on CARNIVAL BREEZE. While we had a great experience last month on her (we did a B2B, first on the BREEZE and then the FREEDOM), it was pretty obvious that the BREEZE – which we enjoyed – was done on the cheap. Like Ernie I've been on a lot of ships, and, honestly, I've never been on a ship as young as the BREEZE that needed as much work. FREEDOM seemed so much more 'solid' and, although she had just come from dry dock, even areas that were not touched looked better. Don't get me wrong, we had an excellent time on the BREEZE...the service and food were top-notch, and we really liked the ship. But it's pretty obvious that, as far as hardware goes, she's in need of some work.

All true Russ! BREEZE looked good on the surface, but upon closer inspection I wasn't all that impressed. The traditional Carnival Farcus decor is a bit crazy and a little on the dark side, but it's all custom designed for each individual ship and I imagine quite expensive to produce. The BREEZE is much more "off the shelf" so to speak. Very generic and I imagine costs much less to furnish overall.