Hair Braiding in Coco Cay Question

We are going on the Majesty 4 day in 16 days.:D Our 1st RCCL cruise.:p One of our stops is Coco Cay, as long as we can tender there. I understand that they have a hair braiding spot on the island. DD is verrry interested in having this done. It is all she has talked about for weeks. Does anyone know what the cost is for this? How long does it normally take them to do it? Is it sanitary? Do they use the same comb on everyone or do they at least sterlize it in between uses?:rolleyes: Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dyanna

Be very careful. My daughter had her hair braided many times it worked out but last time it was so tight she was crying at night had to take tylenol. I had to take them out the next morning. Her scalp was inflammed from the pulling. We spoke to another hair braider - and she looked at my daughter and told us that she had red markings on her scalp. Thank goodness it all turned out ok but I was so worried that the roots may have been damaged. I think if we hadn't taken them out that might have happened. Needless to say we are never doing that again.

Never had hair braided by any member of our family at ports but do have some info to share as we witnessed so many hairbraiding sessions while in various ports along our cruises.

1: carry your own comb and make sure hair braider uses your comb during braiding.

2: watch hair braiders for awhile in port and see what they are doing with the hair of others they are braiding.

3. get a price up front for cost of each braid. Some people have come away with huge costs for braiding as they didn't negotiate a price before the service began.

4. old adage, buyer beware. Know what you are getting into before you commission the job. See #s 1, 2 & 3 above.

Dianne

The only advantage I see is the word CoCoCay. Royal controls who comes to the island, no one lives there or can come unless approved by Royal. Seems Labadee has a different agreement but won't go into that here. I also agree with the prior poster, if you want to have braiding done make sure you do the following:

How much per braid/bead?? Ususal is $1 or $2 but can vary by how many beads per braid.

Clean: Look at how they store their combs, in solution or just laying around?

I honestly can say it has never interested me but sat there while my sister had it done in Coco Cay. There is no way I would have it done in some ports, just L:eek: :eek: K. Decide once you see what is going on.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I was 25 years old when I had my hair braided on CocoCay (2 years ago).

I asked them to use my pick I brought with me and the lady was FINE with that.

I asked her what I could have done for a certain price. She gave me my options and I chose from those. ($25 got me what I wanted, partial cornrows - NOT whole head.)

I forgot the sunscreen and burned the top of my head :eek: OUCH! They make sunscreen that comes out in a spray bottle... GREAT idea for hair braiding.

The lady was friendly and it took around 45 minutes (but again I didn't get my whole head.)

She asked a few times if she was pulling too much, which she was not. If you told them that they're pulling too hard, they will probably let up a little. Looser braids are better than headaches! They live in a place where many people have their hair braided and / or are used to having braids, so just let them know it's the first time she's had this done and she's worried about it hurting. (That's what the lady told me, is that she's used to braiding her daughter's hair, who has braids all the time. She commented on how it's so much different braiding someone who is used to braiding. She gave me some GREAT tips, and the braids lasted almost 3 weeks in my very blonde hair, which is GOOD for my hair...)

If the lady who does her hair was ANYTHING like mine, she'll understand and maybe even offer some advise. And if it's the same lady, she'll sing to you while she braids as well.

I have very good memories of having my hair braided. :) There's some good advice on here (own comb, sunscreen...) you'll be alright. Just be open and upfront about your concerns (price and pain...) If you're not comfortable with a particular person, MOVE ON. There's no lack of opportunity as a tourist to have your hair braided in the Caribbean... :D

Archived