why would carnival double charge me??

Just off the fascination's june 16th cruise. My wife and I (got married on the boat) put a credit card on our sail and sign accounts. I paid for whatever we bought on tbe ship since we were also going to spend a bunch of money on their wedding pictures (another not so great story there). So I went ahead and charged my debit card to pay off everything except the pictures.

Now I charged $500 on the debit card and that went through well I just checked my account and I have 2 $500 charges and one charge for $480 & another for $10 now im very confused on what happened and not very happy considering. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Wedding was great and we had a lovely cruise. I love carnival but this is strange.

Since it is a debit card, I would assume that part of it is the hold and the other is the actual expenses. Did you get a copy of your bill? Give them a call and find out.

On my last cruise, I saw an extra charge on my bill when I got it debark morning. I went right to guest services and they looked into it. Evidently someone bought $200 worth of cigarettes and the person at the gift shop wrote down the wrong folio number. They gave me a credit a an updated bill.

Always check your bills and question anything that doesn't look right.

It's not a charge, it's a hold.

It's up to your financial institution as to when the hold will be removed.

Tons of threads all over this board about debit card usage. Sorry you didn't find these threads pre cruise.

See that's the thing. I have always been taught to not use my debit card to hold anything and really I didn't. I made a one time payment of $500. I put my credit card down for the purpose of holds but the night before u told them to put a 500 payment from my debit card. It wasn't there for more spending so therefore shouldn't need 3 holds

The holds on the credit card are made throughout the cruise based on your spending. When you paid the bill on debit card the holds would be cancelled but they can take from two to ten days to clear.

Look on your credit statement and see that they are pending/holds only and not actual charges.

If a mistake has happened it's better to get it sorted sooner rather than later as hold and refunds take some time to clear.

Doesn't take them that long to take your money though right!!?!!

We learned to check our account periodically during a cruise. Found spa charges & beverage charges that we hadn't made. Guest services were very good about checking it out. & removing as we brought them to their attention. Love those self serve kiosks that let you check on things!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by fla_momuv3

See that's the thing. I have always been taught to not use my debit card to hold anything and really I didn't. I made a one time payment of $500. I put my credit card down for the purpose of holds but the night before u told them to put a 500 payment from my debit card. It wasn't there for more spending so therefore shouldn't need 3 holds

You didn't use it to put a hold on anything.

The holds are separate.

Never, ever use a debit card for this.

I wouldn't use my debit card for the S&S, but we do use a credit card that has a lower limit. We always keep that in mind when spending.

Mistakes are made sometimes, so I agree with the poster who said keep an eye on your bill during the trip. We had a wine package charged twice on our bill; but very easily taken care of and no hassle. Then I had a $185 charge for a cocktail before dinner--not a problem, it got taken off right away. But you do need to keep an eye on things, just like in your daily life!

Just off the fascination's june 16th cruise. My wife and I (got married on the boat) put a credit card on our sail and sign accounts. I paid for whatever we bought on tbe ship since we were also going to spend a bunch of money on their wedding pictures (another not so great story there). So I went ahead and charged my debit card to pay off everything except the pictures.

Now I charged $500 on the debit card and that went through well I just checked my account and I have 2 $500 charges and one charge for $480 & another for $10 now im very confused on what happened and not very happy considering. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Wedding was great and we had a lovely cruise. I love carnival but this is strange.

Did you get things sorted out? You left us dangling:mad:

It's a hold on the card. It still could cost you an overdraft fee.

This is another prime example of you never, ever use a debit card for this.

Not sure why you're telling everyone never to use a debit card. We always use a debt card and have had zero problems. We have also cruised with a group and the majority used their debit card with zero problems. We have good communication with our financial institution and they know our itinerary. I understand cruisers have and had problems from time to time with holds, however it doesn't happen to everyone.

Edited by Kcarp

Not sure why you're telling everyone never to use a debit card. We always use a debt card and have had zero problems. We have also cruised with a group and the majority used their debit card with zero problems. We have good communication with our financial institution and they know our itinerary. I understand cruisers have and had problems from time to time with holds, however it doesn't happen to everyone.

I've not had problems either. I'm aware of the holds. Some credit cards put holds on too, but most people don't notice it. I had almost a back to back, so I let the first one go on debit, the next one I covered my S&S with cash when I boarded. That gave time for my holds to clear by the time I got back.

Why are people using debit cards for these type purchases , when credit cards give you protections and reward points ?

Just pay in full monthly.

Lots of no fee credit cards out there with rewards galore for every day expenses.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Because it is a disaster in waiting.

it doesn't need to happen to everyone to be a disaster. To the person who gets overdrawn because of holds, it's a disaster.

To the person who gets hacked and loses all their money, it's a disaster.

This is what credit cards are for.

Motels, car rental companies and the cruise lines all warn against using them. That pretty much sums it up.

it doesn't need to happen to everyone to be a disaster. To the person who gets overdrawn because of holds, it's a disaster.

Motels, car rental companies and the cruise lines all warn against using them. That pretty much sums it up.

Are you sure about this? If so, I would like to see that in writing.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. But the way I read it the OP used a credit card for his S&S card. But then used a debit card to pay off the balance. If that's the case I would think the "hold" would be on the credit card, not the debit card.

I agree! It's giving anyone access to your bank account plus your personal information, that's why I don't have a debit card. I know someone that uses nothing but her debit card just to keep herself from overspending, with no issues, (yet)....

Edited by fridaythe13th

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. But the way I read it the OP used a credit card for his S&S card. But then used a debit card to pay off the balance. If that's the case I would think the "hold" would be on the credit card, not the debit card.

Yeah, I think I might be reading it wrong too.

Why are people using debit cards for these type purchases , when credit cards give you protections and reward points ?

Just pay in full monthly.

Lots of no fee credit cards out there with rewards galore for every day expenses.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sounds easy to you and others who have credit cards. Some of us are not privied to them for whatever their reasons are.

I use a debit card almost exclusively for over 15 years. 10 years ago or so I had a fraudulent charge on my card. The money was back in my account the next day.

My debit card is attached to an account that only has my "spending money". All bills come out of a different account.

And my debit card also has rewards.

I agree! It's giving anyone access to your bank account plus your personal information, that's why I don't have a debit card. I know someone that uses nothing but her debit card just to keep herself from overspending, with no issues, (yet)....

Debit card is actual money.

Credit card is potential money.

That's the difference.