Dinner wear for guys

Carnival is a very informal cruise line! There is NO requirement on "elegant" night to wear a jacket and tie!

The ONLY requirement is long pants/slacks and a shirt with a collar. The folks who tell you that you must wear a jacket are making up their own style rules!

What is considered casual for men to wear in the dinning room? On formal night what would be doable without wearing a suit? Thanx!!!:o

I'd say, shorts are too casual, although I am not surprised when I see them. Even dark jeans are OK for formal night. A long-sleeve shirt is fine, and if you have a tie, oh, you will be the king at the table :p

The terms "casual" and "elegant" can be so very subjective, IMHO. For us, DH wears khakis or something similar and a collared shirt for "casual" nights and dress pants with a dress shirt and jacket for "elegant" nights. I've seen men wearing khaki shorts, polos and flip-flops on casual nights and never saw anyone say anything to them. I think a lot of it depends on the individual and your definition of those terms.

For the guys, we have found (my DH and DS 14) nice pants like Dockers or dress pants and either a polo or button down (with or without a tie) is just fine! Suits are fine as well, but not necessary! :D

Some families us this opportunity for some nice family photos (hard to get all of us in as one of us is always taking the picture!! LOL), and/or holiday cards, keep that in mind as well! ;)

Dinner attire has declined IMHO over the past several years. Formal/Elegant night used to mean a tux, then it turned into a nice suit, and now people are comfortable wearing what most would wear on a normal evening in the MDR. For me, normal evenings is a nice pair of slacks with a collared shirt and a suit and tie on Formal/Elegant nights. I would much rather be in the minority dressed niced than in the minority walking around in shorts/flip flops. To each their own though.

Dinner attire has declined IMHO over the past several years. Formal/Elegant night used to mean a tux, then it turned into a nice suit, and now people are comfortable wearing what most would wear on a normal evening in the MDR. For me, normal evenings is a nice pair of slacks with a collared shirt and a suit and tie on Formal/Elegant nights. I would much rather be in the minority dressed niced than in the minority walking around in shorts/flip flops. To each their own though.

A big +1 to that, but the world is slumming down dress-wise, especially for men. Frankly, I don't care, and neither should you. If you want to wear the suit or tux, then do it. Who cares if someone else wears something inappropriate? I always say, dress to impress on these nights, and let those who don't stand out!

Indeed, "to each their own", but you do what makes you happy, and forget the rest of the herd.

Dressing up for dinner is a relic of the past when the upper classes used to have different outfits, gowns, dresses and attires for every activity.

For men, the easiest is to have a black/dark colored formal trousers, a couple of shirts and a couple of ties. A tie on a nice shirt & a pair of trousers looks elegant every time.

If you have the space, pack in a jacket and you have yourself a nice suit combo.

And really, nobody is stopping anyone from going all out.

Someday, I do want to wear a tux with a frilly shirt and a bow-tie; but for now I am fine with just a tie.

Edited by hirent

Hirent, my DH is with you. He typically wears a polo and khakis to dinner each night and for elegant night a nice button down shirt and tie with dress slacks. He used to pack a sport coat, but we have chosen to leave it behind the past couple of cruises as things become more informal and hauling luggage more costly and troublesome.

I did mention renting a tux this cruise and he stated that he would gladly do so if I liked :)

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

we have chosen to leave it behind the past couple of cruises as things become more informal and hauling luggage more costly and troublesome.

Baggage fees are what stopped us, we travel on a limited budget and also didn't have a lot of stuff to justify checking a bag. Didn't want to pay $70 just to haul a jacket. Everything else fit in our carry-ons.

What ever turns you on. Not like it used to be. Polo shirt and shorts every night except elegant night, I still do the suit but the 2nd elegant night we go to the lido. 50% or more of the people don't really dress up for elegant night anymore. You still have some die hard but it's changing. Every cruise its getting less and less dressed up people. Im in the Caribbean really don't want to dress in a suit. Everybody can do there own thing, let me alone. From 1996 till now there has been a big change.

Edited by PA Dutchman

I think the reason "Carnival isn't very formal anymore" is because people keep giving advice that you don't have to dress up & where whatever you want.

We dress nicely every night in the main dining room. On regular nights, my husband & college son wear dress pants and a polo/golf shirt or a button down with a tie. On elegant night, they both wear a complete suit.

This is what my DH wears:

Casual- jeans, belt, polo type shirt, nice tennis shoes

Elegant- slacks, belt, button up shirt, tie, nice cowboy boots (his 'fancy' shoes)

There are laundry or ironing rooms where you can iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well my husband doesn't own a suit. Nor a sports jacket. He works in the wild outdoors, and the best I can get him in is Dockers and a button down shirt. Probably short sleeved. lol works for me.

thats why we love Carnival, and will never cruise Celebrity or the like, don't want to, are not going to. He's out in the heat every day on the roads up and down the east coast. I haven't seen him in 6 weeks. By golly this is his vacation and he can be as casual (to a point) as he wishes to be.

End of story, if you don't like it, don't sit with us. And yes, we do get formal-as-it-gets photos taken.

DH wears khaki shorts or dockers or jeans with a polo on casual nights. For elegant night he used to wear a full suit and tie and now leaves the jacket home. You see plenty of men sans ties and in dress shirts and dockers or dress pants on elegant night and lots without jackets.

Dang, I'm not even sure what dress pants are (unless they are part of a suit). I only own Dockers, a sport coat and I wear a dress shirt and tie with them on elegant night. I don't dress up for anything otherwise so no need to own a suit.

If I have time I'll wear dockers and a polo on regular night but often I'll just go in jeans and a t-shirt.

I do khakis,chinos, or linen pants, and even dressy blue or black jeans with a polo or button up shirt on casual nights. Sometime I'll wear a linen pants/shirt set. I normally only do one formal night if that, but I have gone from full suits, to a shirt and tie with a vest. I mix and match a lot of clothes for the day and night, to keep the luggage down, even though most of the time I fly SW. As noted, you'll see a variety of styles and items from shorts to tux's even on formal night. Wear what makes you comfortable, and enjoy your cruise.

We usually go first night in whatever we're wearing (which is acceptable since some people still haven't gotten their luggage yet). If we go other nights, casual nights husband wears either khaki pants or shorts and a polo shirt. We don't do elegant night anymore.

Informal long pants and collar polo. Formal minimum sports coat and tie.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Absolutely incorrect. Per Carnival's policy, you may wear shorts on non elegant nights. On elegant nights, no jacket or tie required.

Directly from the FAQ:

"Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats."