Carnival Age Requirements

islandgirl70

I am looking to book a cruise on the carnival conquest in Feb 2015. However, I read the age requirements and it seems that you need someone above the age of 25 with every group. My common law partner and I aren't over 25 and wondering if there is any way around this.

TIA

As long as you have documentation that you are common law partners then they wave the 'under 21' rule. The rule is if you are under 21 you must have someone that is 25 or older in order to book a cruise unless you are legally married(to include same sex partners) or if you are a qualifying military person, in which you will need military ID.

That is the issue.. I am under 21 and he is over. We tried to book a cabin and we were told we have to be with an "adult" over 21. If we can't book with them, we will just go with RCI, they don't have this rule.

You can't just say you are common law, you have to be legally recognized as being common law, so it sounds like you are out of luck with Carnival.......enjoy RCL

And be careful designating yourself as common law in public, referring to each other as your common law "spouse/partner" is one of the criteria for having a binding agreement in my state.........If in the future you split after being recognized as such you must get a legal divorce and the division of assets and alimony can be a requirement.

We are legally recognized as common law or else I wouldn't have said it. I was wondering if that is the same as being married and what proof you need.

Here is an interesting article that I found about what Canada does/doesn't recognize as common law.......interestingly it varies from province to province.....

It also indicates that in most places you have to have registered with the Vital Statistics Registry......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/4-myths-about-common-law-relationships-1.1315129

I hope this helps......I only mentioned it because some friends of mine who we all thought were married and had 4 children got caught up in a huge legal mess when the husband suddenly died and it was discovered that even though they had been living together and had children together there were key components of their relationship that lacked credible standing to be designated as common law and she was left with NO rights at all......

As long as you can provide some sort of documentation that you are common law partners than Carnival should allow a booking. In California when they had domestic partnerships, you had to register it with the court, and received a certificate stating as much. Otherwise, Carnival requires a legally binding marriage certificate.

We are legally recognized as common law or else I wouldn't have said it. I was wondering if that is the same as being married and what proof you need.

Please educate me, if you don't mind. What is a common law couple vs. a married couple. I love learning about different customs and cultures.

Thanks.

You're using the term and don't know what the difference is between that and marriage? If you are legally recognized as common law, you must have some kind of paperwork. If you would rather sail Carnival over RC, which like you said doesn't have that rule, pull out your paperwork, call Carnival, and ask them if what you have is valid for booking on your own.

Common law marriage is still recognized in about 9 states, although it is out of disfavor and the nine states differ as to how it is attained. But it generally includes holding yourself out as being married, demonstrating almost all indicia of marriage, community acceptance of the marriage, adopting a common name, raising children together, the passage of years, invalid attempts at legal marriage, etc.

If I were the OP and were hell bent on demonstrating my marriage to Carnival, I would be prepared to show the indicia of common law marriage that her state recognizes to Carnival and, perhaps, to it's legal department. (I suspect it's above the pay grade of somebody who answers the phone.)

States generally frown on a concept of common law marriage because regular marriage is readily available and when or if one party seeks to move on from the marriage, he or she generally claims that there is no marriage and the question becomes one of mutual intent when dividing property, rights to children, alimony, etc.

If the OP is in a same sex common law marriage, in the 17 or so states that allow same-sex marriage, she should ensure that her state recognizes that marriage on a common law basis. (I kind of doubt it, but that one I don't know.)

Oops! I failed to see that the OP is from Canada. I know some provinces recognize it while others don't.

While I have no idea of what Canadian Law is on the subject (but would be surprised if it was much different in this matter), full faith and credit doesn't apply to another country, and if comity were invoked, I suspect the matter would be one for the courts.

Maybe, OP, you should just get married. A license or something shouldn't cost all that much and I'm sure an officiant (judge or whatever) to marry you and it would eliminate all these complications. Especially the ones that might arise on separation, bankruptcy, taxes, death, inheritance, etc.

But are you on the ship with your children? That could be the difference.

Yep, that's the difference. If the parents are on board, they can book kids/others in rooms that are closeby.

I know they are from Canada, but doesn't common law still require it be a certain number of years living together and sharing expenses? If you are under 21, have they even been together long enough to be considered common law?

After one year of living together you are cocidered common law here in Ontario. My daughter and her boyfriend will reach that in august. She will then be e!legible for his benefits from work. Op you might need documentation proving this.