Specialty restaurants paid by UDP — Gratuity?

Daghis

I've been reading through the various FAQs and Q&As on Norwegian's web site trying to figure out how gratuities are handled for specialty restaurants when paying the cover charge or when buying the Ultimate Dining Package, and I'm left feeling a bit confused.

Regarding this question:

Q: How much should you tip in the specialty restaurants?

A: Specialty and regular restaurant staff are included in the service charge so you do not have to tip them. However, you can of course add a gratuity for any staff that go the extra mile if you wish to do so but totally at your discretion.

It seems logical to me given the way that I understand the service charge.

However, in the UDP FAQ, it says:

Q. ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE PURCHASE PRICE?

A. No. If you wish to recognize the crew for their service, you may do so at time of service using the gratuity line on the check. Plus, a beverage gratuity of 15% will automatically be added to all beverage sales.

Given that they call out that gratuities are not included, this seems to imply that one should add a gratuity to the $0.00 bill at the end of dinner in a specialty restaurant.

Perhaps my confusion is by mixing the "service charge" and "gratuity". Should it be that the service charge covers everything if I don't want to tip above that, but I should otherwise feel free to leave a gratuity on top of that?

Maybe I should simply ask... what's the common practice?

Thanks so much for your thoughts and opinions!

I believe that the wait staff in the speciality restaurants would be included in the general tip pool. (We have seen staff in the specialty restaurants who have also been working in the MDR or buffet.)

However, if you feel someone went above and beyond and you WANT to leave them an extra tip, I can't imagine anyone turning that down! We have tipped extra for excellent service many times.

Although the two items you posted seem to contradict a little. The reality is, DSC covers the staff in the specialties, however, as in any of the other places on the ship, you are free to give a tip for excellent service. One discusses DSC, the other is about additional tips.

Hope this helps.

No extra tip is required as the staff are covered in the $12 per day. Of course you can add extra if you wish , but you standard required amount is covered.

The specialty restaurants don't have a segregated staff. In fact your server in Cagneys in the evening may have cleaned you table in the buffet that morning.

I've been reading through the various FAQs and Q&As on Norwegian's web site trying to figure out how gratuities are handled for specialty restaurants when paying the cover charge or when buying the Ultimate Dining Package, and I'm left feeling a bit confused.

Regarding this question:

It seems logical to me given the way that I understand the service charge.

However, in the UDP FAQ, it says:

Given that they call out that gratuities are not included, this seems to imply that one should add a gratuity to the $0.00 bill at the end of dinner in a specialty restaurant.

Perhaps my confusion is by mixing the "service charge" and "gratuity". Should it be that the service charge covers everything if I don't want to tip above that, but I should otherwise feel free to leave a gratuity on top of that?

The waitstaff in ALL NCL dining venues is covered by the discretionary service charges (auto tips). No matter where you eat on the ship the waitstaff has been tipped.

Thank you all! I appreciate your help.

glad you got your answer; most of us do leave a little extra in the specialty dining rooms because the service is usually above and beyond, but it isn't required and shouldn't be expected. This is a decision only you can make.

glad you got your answer; most of us do leave a little extra in the specialty dining rooms because the service is usually above and beyond, but it isn't required and shouldn't be expected. This is a decision only you can make.

We had crappy service in Cagney's and left no extra. We had excellent service in the MDR and left extra. I get tired of people acting like its a given that service will automatically be better in specialties. It's simply not true. Like anything else, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

We had crappy service in Cagney's and left no extra. We had excellent service in the MDR and left extra. I get tired of people acting like its a given that service will automatically be better in specialties. It's simply not true. Like anything else, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

I couldn't agree with you more. The best meal service we have had on any cruise was at the MDR on a Carnival 3 night cruise. The waiter was out of this world. The worst service was at Moderno on Getaway (Cagney's service was also bad on Getaway for us).

The other thing you'll notice about the servers in the specialty restaurants is they work the buffets and other venues for breakfast and lunch.

I read on another board that if you leave the extra gratuity on the receipt that money goes into the general "pool" that is distributed to all. Unless you give cash it doesn't go directly to the person that gave you that excellent service. Am I correct in this?

Although the two items you posted seem to contradict a little. The reality is, DSC covers the staff in the specialties, however, as in any of the other places on the ship, you are free to give a tip for excellent service. One discusses DSC, the other is about additional tips.

Hope this helps.

The waitstaff in ALL NCL dining venues is covered by the discretionary service charges (auto tips). No matter where you eat on the ship the waitstaff has been tipped.

Thanks for the clarification! I was a little confused too on how it worked with the UDP. :cool:

I read on another board that if you leave the extra gratuity on the receipt that money goes into the general "pool" that is distributed to all. Unless you give cash it doesn't go directly to the person that gave you that excellent service. Am I correct in this?

Anyone know the answer? Great question!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I Strongly agree, the service is always above and beyond and therefore we always leave a cash tip or add to the bill.