The Winter Crossing Club (WCC)

CunarderRon

I just was thinking about the WCC, and came across this thread. I made my first and only QE2 WC on that memorable January, 2008 crossing, in tandem with the new QV.

Thanks to Babette, for booking me on the soldout voyage. Thanks to Jon, for producing those nice pins. And thanks to Doug, for organizing that memorable Cavalcade, with the unbelievable surprise grand finale--a tour of Capt. Ian McNaught's day room, hosted by the Good Captain, himself!

And thanks to Kyle, for producing that wonderful video memory.

And thanks to all of the Winter Crossing Club member's for allowing me to enjoy their good company!

I have since been inspired to lead a few cabin crawls on several cruises, and if registration is slow, I "borrow" that video to show members of my current roll call of how much fun it can be. It never fails to achieve a sudden flurry of more 'signups':)

Well, it's official. After being away from the N. Atlantic for far too long, my wife, my 4 yr son and yours truly will be on this year's December WB on QM2. I'll be on the lookout for old members and will probably be excited enough to recruit new ones. Hope to see some of you aboard.

I have just stumbled across this thread after having booked the 10 January 2015 WB aboard QE. This will be my second winter crossing, 11th crossing overall and am returning to Cunard for the first time since doing a WB crossing aboard QM2 in 2007. I join all of you in fondly remembering the grand lady of the Atlantic, the QE2, which started this mania for Atlantic crossings back in 2001. I will never forget sailing up the Hudson the week before 9/11 and taking photos with a wonderful Dutch couple as we sailed past the WTC. Little did we know what was to come about soon thereafter.

In any event, if there are any of you out there planning on the joining the 10 January crossing, do give a shout!

Bon voyage,

Michael

I guess my wife and I qualify for this club. We did EB crossings on Jan 3, 2012 and Jan 3, 2014 on QM2. In both cases we stayed onboard and continued to Cape Town. A great way to start the year.

We had a day of rough weather in 2012 but nothing that moved QM2 too much. This year the snow in New York on Jan 3 caused more problems than any weather during the crossing.

On one day this year we caught a specific warm current of the Gulf Stream for a couple of hours, the sun was out and the water and air temperature shot up to 19 degrees. Not bad for January.:)

We're waiting to see the WC itineraries for 2016 in a couple of weeks to see if we'll do a third winter crossing.

Tom ~ Thanks for sharing

For those nostalgic for the WCC's Cavalcade of Cabins and the sight of old shipmates on QE2, here's a video shot during the 2008 winter crossing:

Thanks for posting this link! My daughter and I were on this Cavalcade.

Recognized Doug Newman.

Wonderful memories!

Does one have to sail in December to qualify - November seems somewhat winter like as well ?

It does! I have a good friend whom is a licensed master of steam and motor vessels on the Mississippi River system; he was captain of the DELTA QUEEN, BELLE OF LOUISVILLE, and NATCHEZ. While traveling to England on the FRANCONIA in November, he walked through the ship's library and the librarian was putting up the velvet ropes to hold onto during rough weather. When my friend inquired into the reason for the ropes the librarian's reply was, "Winter North Atlantic you know!"

It does! I have a good friend whom is a licensed master of steam and motor vessels on the Mississippi River system; he was captain of the DELTA QUEEN, BELLE OF LOUISVILLE, and NATCHEZ. While traveling to England on the FRANCONIA in November, he walked through the ship's library and the librarian was putting up the velvet ropes to hold onto during rough weather. When my friend inquired into the reason for the ropes the librarian's reply was, "Winter North Atlantic you know!"

My thanks - I'll claim my tie pin in due course :)

I too am fortunate to belong to the WCC and sailed 3x on QE2 - 26 days. For those that never had the opportunity to sail in her - for any reason / season - they will never know what it was like to sail in a true Great, Spectacular Trans Atlantic ocean liner(the last actually along w/ the beautiful FRANCE). Those that did sail in her know the difference between QE2 & the QM2. QM2 is just an oversized cruise ship w/ a theme park identity created by CCL & built upon Cunard history.

Onboard QE2 even in the roughest storms the hull just sliced through the waves due to the design. One day at lunch as we were hit w/ gale force winds - everything on the table slid to the starboard side of the table & stayed there for quite a while & everyone just kept on eating - on a slant of course - but it was so smooth it was no bother. When the bow went down in a waves crest - it sliced & then came back up....beautiful. QM2 just because of her size sails differently & of course QV & QE are just Carnivore cruise ships dressed up as Cunard step sisters. QE2's speed also was a factor - those were 5 day crossings then!

I miss & loved QE2 - my parents sailed on her - I danced, ate , drank , made love & laughed on her....the crew & officers were the best & boy did we have fun..Bon Voyage parties...cocktails at 7 & then somehow getting back to the cabin @ anywhere between 3 -5 in the morning - sometimes watching the sun come up still dressed in our formal evening clothes. And the nites we were invited to the crew bar were the best...as you sat against the hull you could actually feel the ocean on the other side of the hull!!! And then doing it again the next day / evening......

Funny someone mentioned the FRANCONIA - my parents sailed on her & went through a hurricane - on the second day of the storm at its worst - as my parents sat down to dinner the waiter(one of the old Brit types) came over & started to pour water all over the top of the table - they thought he was drunk - but he explained(as he put up the sides of the table) it would keep the plates from sliding off....he also said - "Franconia is a great ship - we may turn over but we'll never go down - enjoy your dinner". Oh the good old days!

As far as QE2 when I've been asked what it was like - I usually say that it was like a dream - so exciting...sailing out of NYC on this beautifully designed & engineered ocean liner - the clothes, food. service, tradition.....and all we did was dance across the Atlantic Ocean..and in the blink of an eye we were in Southampton...talk about living well!!!!

I couldn't agree more. QE2 was a magnificent ship and rode the waves like no other. Even the original QM was known as a "roller" in her day until she was outfitted with stabilizers and even then, I recall seeing a photo somewhere of one of the wings coming out of the water during rough seas. QE2 was a true greyhound and had, still has, a sublime beauty to her lines that I don't think we will ever see again in ship building.

Yes…I can say I enjoyed a cocktail or four in the crew bar as well. Those were the days!

We will be completing our 2nd Winter crossing starting on the 10th January 2015. Our last one was a roller coaster for 4 days before the captain sailed south fir a bit to get out of the way of the storm; this was in November 2010 and on the QM2.. This one will be on the QE.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm also an old winter crosser. Perhaps again this coming winter. though

it'll have to be on the QM2.

Didn't we meet in a teeny "Queen's Grill Lounge"? Perhaps we sneaked

a cigar or two. Quoting Archie Bunker, "them were the days".

Walter H., aka "Fogg"