Do cruises on affiliated lines count toward Princess status?

PunkiC

There have been some people reporting that they've never sailed on Princess but got Gold cruise cards (cruise card color is dictated by your level in the Captain's Circle program). If I remember right, these were all people who'd sailed with Carnival before. I don't think anyone figured out whether the Captain's Circle system now grants some perks to past passengers of Carnival, or it was just yet another error by the Captain's Circle computer system.

There have been some people reporting that they've never sailed on Princess but got Gold cruise cards (cruise card color is dictated by your level in the Captain's Circle program). If I remember right, these were all people who'd sailed with Carnival before. I don't think anyone figured out whether the Captain's Circle system now grants some perks to past passengers of Carnival, or it was just yet another error by the Captain's Circle computer system.

Calikak - I know there is a "bug" in Princess system that lists everyone as Gold even if they have not sailed with Princess before. Though, from the people I have spoken to, they receive blue cards when they check in.

Is it possible you are referring to people who see they are "gold on the personalizer" or have they actually reported getting gold cards on their first cruise?

I booked this past week for my first time on Princess. Have sailed many times on Carnival. The agent who took my booking told me that although Princess is owned by carnival it is treated as its own cruiselines so I get no extra benifts as a past guest. Not even past guest lower prices. On Princess I gotta start from the bottom and work my way up.

I just booked a HAL cruise and they gave me a Mariner number and I told TA that I am not a Mariner, my husband is. TA told me that because I am a Platinum member on Princess that I was able to get a Mariner number on HAL and all my sea days will count as if I had been on HAL the whole time. I was very thrilled with that because I have many more sea days with Princess that DH has with his Mariner HAL! Pretty good deal, I think!:D

One small advantage to the programs not being reciprocal is that you are eligible for the Princess referral rewards program. If you have never sailed or booked on Princess, you can be referred to Princess before you make your first booking and receive a $25 credit on your final payment. So at least you could get something for being a first-timer. :)

You have to be referred to Princess by a friend who has sailed on Princess before. There is an e-mail method, which I have found to be effective all but once on the referrals I have made, although others have posted that they could never get it to work. Then there is a regular mail method. You can't have sailed or even booked with Princess in order to be eligible for the referral.

The referral credit is good for two years, so you don't have to rush out and immmediately book. You get a $25 credit which is applied to the final payment of your first Princess cruise. However, some TAs do treat this as a coupon and take a commission out of it.

The travel agency handling our August 19. 2006 Cruise Critic group cruise on the Caribbean Princess confirmed that the referral can be used with the group rates we are getting, but that travel agency treats it as a coupon and takes out a small commission. Still, you do get to use that additional discount and get the group rates. The Cruise Critic group cruise is open to all who want to book. Its great that these other discounts can also be applied. Anyone who has any questions about how this is applied to our group cruise please feel free to email me.

I tried to include a link to the Princess web page discussing the program, but I couldn't get it to work. I hope this explanation has helped. There have been some other threads about the Princess referral program. So you can check those out as well.

Archived