Tipping Porters in San Francisco?

Orange Blossom

Hi!

I am leaving for Alaska on the Regal in just 9 Days :D. This is our very first cruise and I want it to start smooth. I have read a lot about tipping porters and there's something about San Francisco where they are very outspoken. I would hate to tip too little and be asked for more. How much is the typical tip to a porter per bag?

:confused: Thanks

The last time I sailed from SF, the porter grabbed the bags very quickly, tossed them into the bin and ran to the next passenger. I didn't even have a chance to hand him the bills that I was holding, and we were both washed into the crowd in different directions. It was as if he wasn't expecting it, nor did he care if he got it. I can't explain it, but he was *definitely* not interested in a confrontation about his tip.

It was *insanely* crowded and disorganized at the port that day!

On one cruise, the porter rushed to our car from about 50 yards away when we waived at him and he accepted the tip. On the last cruise this Sep, like the two above posters, the porter was completely surprised when I held out the cash. He was in a real rush -- I think his supervisors were around! My suggestion -- just observe what the the other pax are doing and do likewise. /Sultan

$2 per bag unless they are large and bulky. Then I would give $5 for 2 bags..

This exactly what we tip too. By the way the San Francisco pier is always, always that way because of the street that it is on. The Embarcadero is a very heavily touristy area and with that and the ship coming in and out it is always a zoo so allow plenty of time to get there and to depart.

Marilyn

I would worry more about airport porters. I tip them $3 dollars a bag and they are happy. I used to work for the airlines and have seen many a porter retag someones bag who didn't tip them well. If you are running late at the airport (not your fault or even if it is) a really large tip will get you to the front of the line and personal attention. I waved a $20 at the porter when my daughter was travelling and there was a zillion people at the airport. They porter stopped what he was doing. Stated I was going to miss my flight, checked the bags and took them to the baggage belt. It upset some people, but she made her flight.

I am going to guess that the porters are union members as they are in Ft. Lauderdale. At Port Everglades they posted signs saying to Not tip the porters. Last Nov. out of there the porter were not openly soliciting tips as they have in the past. So just a guess on my part that they are all part of the same union.

I am going to guess that the porters are union members as they are in Ft. Lauderdale. At Port Everglades they posted signs saying to not to tip the porters. Last Nov. out of there the porter were not openly soliciting tips as they have in the past. So just a guess on my part that they are all part of the same union.

But last year we were in Ft Lauderdale leaving the ship for Miami and there are also signs posted there saying bus drivers are salaried employees, no tipping is required. When we got off the bus in Miami people were tipping him and someone infront of us must have given the driver a $1 tip and he's saying quite loud upon receiving it, "One dollar, I can't believe it, one dollar amazing", so regardless of the signs some of these guys expect it.

Archived