New MDR menu rollout

Does anyone know if Carnival is planning on rolling out the new MDR menu on all of the ships by 2015? I know they were making some tweaks to it and it is only currently on the Glory, Liberty, Imagination and Inspiration. Just wondering if I should expect if on the Freedom for my February cruise. Any pictures of any of the new food items would be great! I did see some on zydecocruiser's site.

Does anyone know if Carnival is planning on rolling out the new MDR menu on all of the ships by 2015? I know they were making some tweaks to it and it is only currently on the Glory, Liberty, Imagination and Inspiration. Just wondering if I should expect if on the Freedom for my February cruise. Any pictures of any of the new food items would be great! I did see some on zydecocruiser's site.

I think that the new menus are still on "hold" for additional ships.

I think that the new menus are still on "hold" for additional ships.

I know there has been very split reaction to the new menus. Some people think its great, others don't. I am in the I don't care that much department. If I had to choose, I would probably rather have the new menus, because they look interesting and have a couple of new choices, but I like the old menus fine. It looks like the old menus have better dessert choices, but I should probably avoid that anyway.

They're still tweaking the menus. From what I gathered from the hostesses it's almost a daily occurrence.

We sailed on the Inspiration in February then again in May. Some things were added and recipes were tweaked.

One thing they haven't tweaked is the chile for the Chile Relleno thing. They are using the wrong type of chile.

They're still tweaking the menus. From what I gathered from the hostesses it's almost a daily occurrence.

We sailed on the Inspiration in February then again in May. Some things were added and recipes were tweaked.

One thing they haven't tweaked is the chile for the Chile Relleno thing. They are using the wrong type of chile.

What type of chilies are they using because Chili Relleno is made traditionally with poblano peppers?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by LTS1960

They should use pablano or a nice big Anaheim.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Most people like the new menus. Tablecloths are running about 50-50. The trend is to do away with the For The Table items which you could always order individually, anyway. Freedom was supposed to have the new menus by now but was postponed. Still supposed to be before the end of the year. Pride is also supposed to switch in September +/-. At least one cold soup has made it back onto one of the menus. They are continually evolving.

Most people like the new menus. Tablecloths are running about 50-50. The trend is to do away with the For The Table items which you could always order individually, anyway. Freedom was supposed to have the new menus by now but was postponed. Still supposed to be before the end of the year. Pride is also supposed to switch in September +/-. At least one cold soup has made it back onto one of the menus. They are continually evolving.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised Freedom didn't get the new menus when she got her 2.0 upgrades.

What type of chilies are they using because Chili Relleno is made traditionally with poblano peppers?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They should use pablano or a nice big Anaheim.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

They looked like the right kind. Not too sure what they were but OMG! were they hot. Mom warned me about it. (Mom was on a few weeks before).

DD, who's level of spice tolerance has my eyes watering from across the table, also thought they were in the OMG! range.

I like spicy but WOW!

Interesting tidbit--It's not labeled Chili Relleno but the description was accurate as a relleno.

But they have done away with the "For the Table" items, is that correct?

The Inspiration had the shared items, but everything was available as single or double servings so you do not have to share with strangers. Also she has the old tables with tablecloths. No water pitcher on the table.

The Inspiration had the shared items, but everything was available as single or double servings so you do not have to share with strangers. Also she has the old tables with tablecloths. No water pitcher on the table.

The question is, do they still have shared items? I know they used to. Imagination did have, but no longer does. No tablecloths on Imagination even on Elegant night, and the water carafes are there.

Edited by andy.capitan

John Heald said on his blog in late April that the new menus would be rolled out on Freedom in June. It wasn't a big announcement but was buried in a post about something else.

"The American Table menu is currently being served on the Carnival Glory, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Inspiration and Carnival Imagination. And in June we will serve it on Carnival Freedom as well."

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2014/04/29/wash-and-dry/#more-21619

Search the page for Freedom.

Edited by winddawn

They were shared midMay.

But it's changing constantly.

The bigger problem isn't the shared items but the number of dishes carried by the waiters. They're only allowed 12 cloches.

I was on Inspiration in March as a solo (it was one of the single-surcharge holidays so there were a lot of solos). We had a big table: four solos -me, a senior woman; a substantially older single gentleman widower, a very young man (like just turned 21) and a middle-aged fellow "celebrating" his divorce. Two women friends, a young (awesome!) couple and a middle-aged couple engaging in gooey acts of PDA throughout each dinner. Ew.

We shared! We actually had a very chummy time together and enjoyed each other a lot, with the exception of the divorced guy who came to dinner every night in crisply ironed shirts and precisely creased khakis and who seemed to have little tolerance for the quirks and foibles of his meal-mates. He ate and left.

I ordered the calamari for the table every night and someone else ordered the Caesar salad and we really did share. There was no carafe, there was no bread box, and there were table cloths on the table every night. Some of the people wanted to try everything and they did ... alligator, escargot, two or even three main dishes. By the third night we were sharing main dishes too ("you get this and I'll get this and we'll just divide it.") That happened because on our second night lobster was served as well as prime rib and some people wanted "surf and turf" and because the meals are pre-plated, they ended up getting two main meals instead of a piece of prime rib on the same plate as the lobster tail.

The menu was fine, different but interesting. The desserts were lacking and I really, really hate to say this because I know how Carnival prides itself on its pastry chefs, but the pie slices looked factory made, not hand made, like someone had gone to Costco or Sam's Club and purchased them. Some of the dishes were really poorly plated, just uninspired plopped onto a dish that usually was too large for it. Most of the dishes came with pre-assigned accompaniments which I thought was pretty normal. You could also order separate sides.

I'm on Glory in two weeks and I saw a review with photos of the bare tables. I considered that quite jarring and I don't like it. I love anytime dining on other lines and can do that on Carnival too, but I look forward to the slight formality of the MDR every night; to me it's "dining," not just "eating," and as a solo it gives me a familiar group with which to converse and share and enjoy the telling of each person's day. I think I can take the bread box and I can take the carafe, but no table cloth? I don't want to put on make up for no tablecloth!!!

Edited by Jana

just got off the inspriation last week, and had the american table menu. There were tablecloths, no water pitcher and we got served rolls. No mention on the menu that we could share.

I think what I dont like about the AT menu is that you cant tell which items will be there the whole cruise ( like the choc melting cake) and which will be there just that night only ( like the escarot).

I had to ask the waiter each time -- eg for dessert, I decided to have the tiramisu one night because that would be the only night it would be served, unlike the choc melting cake which would be there every night. Same for the entrees, I never did figure out which were offered every night -- maybe none of them were.

I've been to Zydecocruisers page (Thank You!) and I am just worried. I have a sensitive stomach and there are a lot of spices and hot cream sauces I just can't do. I guess I just know what's going to be ok for me on the old menus. And they have really reduced the choices available. The good news is I checked out the kids menus and they actually seem a little better than they used to with a couple of more basic but simple choices each night. The old kids menu was always the same. So if I have to I can go for that.

"Most people like the new menus"? You know this "fact" how?

just got off the inspriation last week' date=' and had the american table menu. There were tablecloths, no water pitcher and we got served rolls. No mention on the menu that we could share.

I think what I dont like about the AT menu is that you cant tell which items will be there the whole cruise ( like the choc melting cake) and which will be there just that night only ( like the escarot).

I had to ask the waiter each time -- eg for dessert, I decided to have the tiramisu one night because that would be the only night it would be served, unlike the choc melting cake which would be there every night. Same for the entrees, I never did figure out which were offered every night -- maybe none of them were.[/quote']

That's a good point--I would like to know what items will be back and which things are there for one night only. It would help me to order if that info was made clear on the menu.

Had it on Glory in Feb and than on Liberty in June and lots of stuff has been added back. I was fine with it but DW not as much.

Could you elaborate a bit, please?

PS...sorry about your luggage!

It seems like a lot less choices and very limited if you don't eat fish/seafood/mushrooms :(

Could you elaborate a bit, please?

PS...sorry about your luggage!

It seems like a lot less choices and very limited if you don't eat fish/seafood/mushrooms :(

I second that....appreciate the info, would like more details......what did DW not like and what did you like? did you find the menus more limited? What has been added back?

In mid May, Liberty did not have the for the table options. They had calamari as an entree the first night, I got it and liked it. They had some salad each night and a different flatbread each night. One DD tried a flatbread one night and said it was just ok.

They had added back the Creme brûlée and the grand mariner soufflé. I got both and they were great.

Although they did not have the cold soups in May, they had lots of hot soup choices, at least 1, sometimes 2 each night. Recent cruisers from June on Liberty say they added back the cold strawberry soup.

I was not disappointed in the new menus since they had already tweaked a lot by the time we sailed. I did not like the physical size of the menu though, awkward to hold. We liked the port of call selections. Everyone went away stuffed each night.