Flights to Copenhagen

Mineu

We're researching our options for our June 2015 cruise from Copenhagen. I had hoped to fly Turkish Air again( we flew them this year to VCE and really enjoyed their inflight service) from Houston for around $800 but their price is pretty close to other carriers-coming in around $1200. Air Canada has flights around $1400-$1500 from MSY. Not all of the other carriers have released prices-but pricing in May still seems high-$1400-$1500.

My husband likes the Iceland Air stopover $942 from JFK or $1053 from Orlando-but we would need flights from MSY to these locations making the pricing even with flights from MSY-and hotels in Reykjavik seem to be pretty $$$.

Any thoughts on the above or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Icelandair happens to own several hotels in Reykjavik, so look at a package from their "vacations" department. Not necessarily the "best" or most convenient, but I was quite happy with the Natura (right next to the domestic airport).

It looks like you are looking for economy class travel. If I were traveling out of MSY I would look at some of the east coast/midwest gateways and avoid Iceland, unless you really want to visit Iceland. Reykjavik is a crazy expensive city and you are pretty much dependent on Iceland Air.

If it were me, I would try to get to one of the SAS gateway cities on a UAL codeshare from MSY (IAH, EWR, ORD, IAD) and then take the nonstop to CPH on SAS to minimize delays. Worst case scenario is that you are in one of the four major Star Alliance hubs and could easily take a connection on one of many flights if your flight were canceled.

My personal preference is to take the latest departure from the US to Europe so you will hopefully be tired enough to sleep on the flight. This also helps on the other end, as many European hotels are not ready to accept guests till 3pm. The worst thing is to show up early in the morning only being told that you have to wait. If you are a party of 1 or 2 and will literally take any room available you may be in luck, but if you need a specific room/bed type you could be waiting hours

Or, of course, you can buy a new Volvo for European delivery (around 6% savings over US) and they'll throw in two free round trip tickets to Gothenburg. Fly to Sweden, pick up the car, drive it for a weekend, then drop it and take the train down to Copenhagen. The car will be shipped to your nearest Volvo dealer (around 4-5 weeks) while you cruise. Then after the cruise fly back home on the return portion of the ticket.

Nice car, mini road trip in Europe, free flights and you're money ahead.

Of course, you'd need to be shopping for a new car in the first place, or find someone who could buy it from you (cheaper than new) when you get it.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/sales-services/sales/volvo_overseas_delivery/pages/default.aspx

Of course, you'd need to be shopping for a new car in the first place, or find someone who could buy it from you (cheaper than new) when you get it

Don't forget to pay for aforementioned Volvo using the rewards credit card(s) of your choice! :)

Or, of course, you can buy a new Volvo for European delivery (around 6% savings over US) and they'll throw in two free round trip tickets to Gothenburg. Fly to Sweden, pick up the car, drive it for a weekend, then drop it and take the train down to Copenhagen. The car will be shipped to your nearest Volvo dealer (around 4-5 weeks) while you cruise. Then after the cruise fly back home on the return portion of the ticket.

Of course, you'd need to be shopping for a new car in the first place, or find someone who could buy it from you (cheaper than new) when you get it.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/sales-services/sales/volvo_overseas_delivery/pages/default.aspx

Love this idea-but really puts the trip out of range-lol!! Will save this thought when my kids graduate-new car and free trip!!

• 2 weeks later...

We are also looking for airfare to Copenhagen from NYC for next summer and have pretty much decided on Iceland Air with a one night stop over. I'm ready to book but hubby wants to wait. Fares are running about $900. Wondering if there is anybody out there that would have monitored these flights last year to know if they fluctuated greatly at a certain timetable and when would be too risky to wait? We are still over 250 days out. Just wondering when to start pushing him to book.

We are also looking for airfare to Copenhagen from NYC for next summer and have pretty much decided on Iceland Air with a one night stop over. I'm ready to book but hubby wants to wait. Fares are running about $900. Wondering if there is anybody out there that would have monitored these flights last year to know if they fluctuated greatly at a certain timetable and when would be too risky to wait? We are still over 250 days out. Just wondering when to start pushing him to book.

I have not monitored your route but the lowest I found for DEN-LHR on Icelandair was around $900. They started out as similar to US airlines and when I had checked about 4 times they had dropped. The agent told me it is a supply and demand formula.