12/29 Island to Panama Canal

augies

We're booked on the 12/29/14 Panama Canal on the Island.

Two questions:

1. Will the Christmas decorations still be up?

2. There are hundreds of cabins still available...I thought a new year's cruise would be full by now. Is this an undesirable time to go?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

We were on a January 19 2014 Panama and had a great cruise. Weather was great. I think the length and time of the cruise makes a difference. 9 days and right after Christmas is not a good time for families to cruise.

On a different note, we took the Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat (PC1-615) (169 pp) and it was great. hour bus ride to the Galliard Cut and then a ferry through the remaining 2 locks. You get up close and personal with the locks. Got a picture of my wife touching the side of the locks. A great experience to go through the locks in a small ferry. The lunch was pretty good and plenty of it as well as plenty of water and soft drinks. You will read some negative reviews of the trip, but we and the other on the ferry had a great time and experience. Makes me wonder if the naysayers were on the same excursion I was.

Enjoy your cruise you are in for a treat.

Two questions:

2. There are hundreds of cabins still available...I thought a new year's cruise would be full by now. Is this an undesirable time to go?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

12/23/14 Coral Panama Canal staterooms are mostly sold. What a difference a few days apparently makes.

We were on a January 19 2014 Panama and had a great cruise. Weather was great. I think the length and time of the cruise makes a difference. 9 days and right after Christmas is not a good time for families to cruise.

On a different note, we took the Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat (PC1-615) (169 pp) and it was great. hour bus ride to the Galliard Cut and then a ferry through the remaining 2 locks. You get up close and personal with the locks. Got a picture of my wife touching the side of the locks. A great experience to go through the locks in a small ferry. The lunch was pretty good and plenty of it as well as plenty of water and soft drinks. You will read some negative reviews of the trip, but we and the other on the ferry had a great time and experience. Makes me wonder if the naysayers were on the same excursion I was.

Enjoy your cruise you are in for a treat.

Thanks for your reply.

We are planning on taking Panama Canal Locks Transit tour too. Sounds like a wonderful experience.

I really hope more bookings show up soon!

Two questions:

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Can't help with No. 1... as far as No. 2 I would be willing to bet you will have a full house... err... boat by the time you sail away. Undesirable... at least not in the weather department. In general the Caribbean is more comfortable IMO during the winter months in most places. As far as the Canal is concerned, the Dry Season starts in late December, so if all goes according to plan your day in the Canal should be pleasant and most likely free of rain. The temperature and humidity in places like Colombia, Panama and Costa Rica are going to be about as good as they will ever get in January. Just a caveat... to anyone coming from a temperate climate, even the better weather in January will probably still feel a little warm and sticky. Just Enjoy!

I too have no idea about the first question, but as for the second, My bet is that it will be close to fill. And if not....you will be able to enjoy the ship all the more. Fewer people mean less crowding and more accessibility to good viewing positions on the ship-not to mention smaller lines in the dining rooms, ice cream stations, pizza, etc.

Two questions:

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Xmas decorations are usually left up[ until January 1.

Holiday cruises are usually the highest cost for the itinerary and may be slow to get booked. Ship will likely sail full. Look for some good sales along the way.

Xmas decorations are usually left up[ until January 1.

Holiday cruises are usually the highest cost for the itinerary and may be slow to get booked. Ship will likely sail full. Look for some good sales along the way.

Thanks Caribill!

We have done both the through (14 days) and partial (10 days)canal trips. On both there were not a lot of families and the pax tended towards the retired set. On the partial we were not retired yet but on the through we were retired. The ship will most likely fill up as time gets closer but watch for sales to reduce your fare.

We did this very cruise a couple years ago. Decorations were still up for the New Years party in the atrium :D wow what a party!! If you would have seen the atrium around 02:00 am you would have thought it would never get cleaned from balloons and streamers but, as usual the staff had it sparkling again by bedtime:p

I think the ship did sail full, but it never seemed overly crowded.

Enjoy you will have a blast (we did)

Edited by Sham21

We have done both the through (14 days) and partial (10 days)canal trips. On both there were not a lot of families and the pax tended towards the retired set. On the partial we were not retired yet but on the through we were retired. The ship will most likely fill up as time gets closer but watch for sales to reduce your fare.

We were on the Coral for 11 day trips March/April an though there would be loads of kids but they were hardly any. Mostly a mix from mid age to older retired.

We did this very cruise a couple years ago. Decorations were still up for the New Years party in the atrium :D wow what a party!! If you would have seen the atrium around 02:00 am you would have thought it would never get cleaned from balloons and streamers but, as usual the staff had it sparkling again by bedtime:p

I think the ship did sail full, but it never seemed overly crowded.

Enjoy you will have a blast (we did)

We booked this one on the 29th because we thought we would it would be fun to be on a ship for the new year celebration and maybe not so many kids on board. Also, we can spend Christmas at home with our kids and grand children and then unwind on the cruise!