EmeraldRiver Cruises

grandpa cruiser

What was you favorite and most worn clothing item? And what do you wish you brought?

I'm a terrible over packer and am determined to go light this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

We both took a suitcase each weighing around 18kilos (39lbs). I took a pair of black palazzo pants and wore them every night with a different top. Had a more dressy top for Captains night. Wore my jeans or capri pants during the day with a t-shirt. We didn't take any shampoo/conditioner/shower gel as all provided and quite nice. I only took 2 pair of shoes, trainers for during the day and sandals for the evening on board. I also took a knitted jacket/cardigan as a cover up in the evening if I went outside and it was chilly.

• 3 months later...

Maybe they only do business in the US during Australian business hours :)

Because Scenic is related to them I'd bet their in house operations are under one roof so call Scenic and ask them what's up??

Edited by JVilleGal

I don't do Facebook but both Scenic and Emerald are on Facebook just google them They are an Australian company an off shoot of Scenic from their original media stuff aimed at a slightly younger demographic, they only realy started last year so as with all new companies I think they will have to find their nich at least they do build and own their boats.

Happy cruising CA

• 1 month later...

Since several of you have traveled on Emerald now, can anyone have access to the extra tours available along the Danube and approximate costs on these? This will help us choose between Scenic and Emerald. We are leaning heavily towards Emerald at the moment.

Thanks! I love the blogs and photos and all the info you are all sharing.

Since several of you have traveled on Emerald now, can anyone have access to the extra tours available along the Danube and approximate costs on these? This will help us choose between Scenic and Emerald. We are leaning heavily towards Emerald at the moment.

Thanks! I love the blogs and photos and all the info you are all sharing.

Hello Alwalaska,

Just to contine the topic, we have booked Emerald (8 day Danube) for August 2016 and are extremely excited! LOVE the pool/movie theater, balconies that are not "French," included transfers, gratuities and wine at meals, casual dress, and the EmeraldPlus excursions.

We also considered Scenic (and Uniworld) but for our first river cruise really couldn't justify the hundreds of dollars more per person for included drinks, and more free excursion choices. And no hot tubs or pools on most of their boats!

We do drink, but the liberal wine pourings at meals are good enough, and we will also likely buy a drink or two at the bar when we are on board.

As far as excursions, I read on someone's trip report that Emerald's optional excursions range from 50 to 80 euros pp.

We have secured $200 shipboard credit which we will use on drinks and/or an excursion.

Judy

Edited by judebarsto

Thanks Judy! I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear how it goes. Did you do the referral thing to secure the OBC or something else?

Did you wait for prices and schedules to officially come out, or did you put a hold down early, even before prices and itinerary were available?

I'm so excited. We are now looking at our post cruise roamings around Europe. Two and a half years really isn't that far away. :D

I found a travel agent to book through Canada, (we live in Buffalo and fly from Toronto), and he just offered OBC! For Emerald, the 2016 itineraries and prices are already posted. They are offering 2016 at 2015 prices and an additional $250 pp discount if you book by 3/31/15.

They just haven't assigned the actual boat yet, though my TA said Emerald told him it would likely be the Emerald Belle, which is just being built!

Are you planning an Emerald cruise?

Judy

Edited by judebarsto

I found a travel agent to book through Canada, (we live in Buffalo and fly from Toronto), and he just offered OBC! For Emerald, the 2016 itineraries and prices are already posted. They are offering 2016 at 2015 prices and an additional $250 pp discount if you book by 3/31/15.

They just haven't assigned the actual boat yet, though my TA said Emerald told him it would likely be the Emerald Belle, which is just being built!

Judy

Yes, we are planning on the 8 day Danube delights in late September or early October of 2017. I have a great TA, so hopefully she will do something or be able to find us something. Enjoy your planning.

Judy

Did you book in US or Canadian $? If Cdn$, you might want to consider the currency issues (there have been several recent posts about wishing they had paid in full while the Cdn$ was worth more; not sure how I would play this now, but worth considering).

On our cruise. Amsterdam to Budapest, there was only a few additional, at cost, tours as most of the tours are included. These were full day trips to Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov instead of Passau and Rothenburg instead of Wurzburg where you would miss the Bishop's Residenz - stunning. There was also a Mozart concert in the evening in Vienna which Drew went to and said it was wonderful and an experience he is glad that he didn't miss. It was about 60 euros.

I have posted some photos of our trip on another Emerald thread.

On our cruise. Amsterdam to Budapest, there was only a few additional, at cost, tours as most of the tours are included. These were full day trips to Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov instead of Passau and Rothenburg instead of Wurzburg where you would miss the Bishop's Residenz - stunning. There was also a Mozart concert in the evening in Vienna which Drew went to and said it was wonderful and an experience he is glad that he didn't miss. It was about 60 euros.

I have posted some photos of our trip on another Emerald thread.

Thanks Linda,

I will go and find those photos.

What did you do in Passau? Being a Sound of Music fan, I probably need to go to Salzburg.

Ours seems to have a few additional Discover Mores.

1) Weltenburg Abbey at the Regensburg stop

2) Passau which you mentioned

3) Vienna - both a tour of Schonbrunn Palace and the evening concert as two separate events.

For the places where the ship does not dock in the middle of things, do they provide transportation multiple times during the day, or only for the included walking tour.

Passau was a walking tour with our wonderful guide, Rudy. The main attraction was the cathedral with the worlds largest pipe organ and if you time it right, there is a daily organ recital for a small amount (I think about 4 euros). Here's some photos of Passau.

St. Stephens Cathedral, Passau

10689946_1536766279889609_7484249627252983539_n.jpg?oh=8cf4bf2704f2e0631c5bf33d5b8d4e88&oe=55A4DE9B

Cathedral ceiling

1908094_1536766353222935_7717147188979367283_n.jpg?oh=1b9c352ca12b6426f2b344850cdef810&oe=55716E7A&__gda__=1436719649_65f6d3faf43f57a2e6f7877906d5e5ee

10523967_1536766356556268_8517605462190174222_n.jpg?oh=6495411d863591b8457690b830c951e5&oe=55A32901&__gda__=1437960510_54bfd0bfc7e45a411cf40a350966afd4

Part of the pipe organ

10419991_1536766383222932_172599562469722102_n.jpg?oh=a045f086776321b8644c03122bc0451d&oe=55ADB559&__gda__=1437738803_1a9a77ba3f71391f46891504101c8e88

10653659_1536766443222926_2535879183384577351_n.jpg?oh=63cda5f871aac574c553ac618ed3a2a0&oe=55A1D861&__gda__=1433620574_6661bdf3cfdd210eeeafd62b24ac0a31

Hi -- would one of you who has taken an Emerald cruise advise on seating arrangements at dinner? If we wanted to sit by ourselves (2 people) at a dinner, is this possible, or are all tables for 4 or 6? The ability to have a table for 2 at dinner is another appealing aspect of Scenic. Not sure we'd do this every night, but would like to have the option. Thanks!

There are tables for 2 on Emerald Star but they are next to a table for 4 and are very close together.

Sorry this is the only photo of the dining room I have and doesn't show it clearly.

1625564_1530980833801487_6200362753930823246_n.jpg?oh=682d40117b372dfc2c157fa2ef35e2d3&oe=55A901E8

Check out avidcruiser dot com for a blog written about Emerald called Exploring Budapest and Emerald Waterways - Emerald Star

There's a picture there of the tables for 2: right by the windows, but only a few inches away from the adjacent table for 4.

Hope that helps!

Judebarsto,

I'm curious about your comment on finding a TA that booked you through Canada. We live in Rochester and have been looking at flights from Toronto as well since direct flights to Paris are about half of what it would cost to fly from Rochester connecting through DC or JFK. We can make the 2 1/2 hour drive to save that much money, and have a direct flight as well! Is there an advantage to using a TA instead of making your own reservations through Air Canada's website?