Getaway or Glory?

kajasmin

Ok, so we are Carnival people but we saw the Getaway (NCL) on our cruise and wow it looks awesome. We were booking that but then I saw the Glory would cost us a lot less and has ports we like better...but it is seriously lacking in the waterslide area...my kids are spoiled by the breeze.

What do you guys think? Better ship or better ports. My mom has never cruised before and we are taking her so I want to make it good!

JMO, but I would pick ports, especially for your newbie Mom.

We love the size of the Conquest-class ships, and have been on GLory and Freedom so far, with Liberty coming up in October. Glory was one of our favorite cruises! But we don't cruise with kids, so our perspective might be different than yours.

I LOVED the glory.......My kids well they thought it could have been better! (they want the breeze next time). NOT saying they didnt have fun they did but they thought it needed MORE kids things.

Edited by Jeninfla708

I LOVED the glory.......My kids well they thought it could have been better! (they want the breeze next time). NOT saying they didnt have fun they did but they thought it needed MORE kids things.

Good to know. Yah mine LOVED the waterpark on the Breeze. The Getaway looks super cool. The Getaway ports are fine but there are 6 ships in port at some of them at the same time! And its about 1000 less for the Glory. Ive never been on NCL so I dont know!

Good to know. Yah mine LOVED the waterpark on the Breeze. The Getaway looks super cool. The Getaway ports are fine but there are 6 ships in port at some of them at the same time! And its about 1000 less for the Glory. Ive never been on NCL so I dont know!

I would try the Getaway. New ship, different dining and entertainment options. Your Mom would be more impressed with the décor and modernity of the Getaway. You'll never know what you are missing until you try a new cruise ship!

I have not been on the Getaway, but did cruise on sister ship Breakaway last month; both ships have the same slides & ropes course. I'm sure your kids would love the Getaway - we all loved the slides & ropes course! We chose the Breakaway because of the ship entertainment & the Bermuda itinerary and had a great time. I'm now looking for a cruise next summer or fall for just me & my DH (first time no kids) & considering Glory because of the ports & wanting a more relaxed vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HI all!

I've never been on Glory just Dream & Breeze on Carnival & Getaway, Breakaway, Epic on NCL & I loved Getaway. The food was really good as was the entertainment & decor. I don't use the pools or anything adventurous but they had lots available.

I really liked the Breeze so much I did it twice & would do Getaway again if it went to different ports. Ports are important to me. In May I walked off the Breeze & onto Getaway, so much fun.

~ Jo ~ :)

Well, I dont know how to advise you, because I have not been on NCL in over ten years. Back then it was not freestyle, and I did love my cruise, but today on NCL is very different so I cant say how it is, except that I am chomping at the bit to cruise on NCL, mostly because of freestyle, love not having to commit myself to a specific dining time, also because from all the reviews that I have read, their entertainment far exceeds Carnivals.

Having said all of that,,,Carnival is still the only cruise line that I can afford, sailing solo, which I do now, and Carnival is also what I am used to, and have always enjoyed my cruises. I have kept up with the changes on Carnival, and know what to expect and mostly what not expect compared to my last cruise four years ago.

Bottom line, when I am retired, (two years I hope), I will have a lot more flexibility with travel dates and length of those, and hope to be able to branch out and try another cruise line. (not giving up Carnival completely, because I like what I recieve for the price), but just want to try something else to have a comparison.

I guess you should choose based on price, ports of call, and how each cruise line would appeal to you and your family. Do research, lots of great info right here on CC.

Whichever cruise you choose, have a great one.:)

Edited by SMSACE6

• 9 months later...

Hi all !

I have been looking at cruises for a few weeks now .

I liked the look of the cruise from Carnival Liberty out of San Juan for June 28th which is a great price but couldn't seem to get flights to match out of Belfast/Dublin down to San Juan. Its a great itinerary with only one sea day and some nice islands like St.Lucia and Barbados. We want a stop over somewhere on the East Coast for a few days eg Miami/NYC as we are big fans of the USA!

However, I can get very cheap $600 flights (we have $100 flight credit to use on United after being heavily delayed last year) out of Belfast down to Fort Lauderdale from June 23rd to July 4th. I have been to F.Lauderdale and Miami last year so am familiar with the area. Will probably stay somewhere in Miami Beach - there are some great prices on hotels (23rd-27th) with Como / Fontainbleau / Edition / Thompson @ $175 per night.

I have been looking at various websites/agents - have found Sandy at VivaVoyages very nice (all US agents are allowed to sell carnival and Norweigian cruises to people in Europe but RCL seem to only allow a limited number such as Sandy )

The best prices at the moment for a balcony room departing June 27th to July 4th seem to be approx:

$1200pp Getaway - ( 3- Nassau , US Virgin is, British Virgin is)

$1000pp Glory - (4- Half Moon cay , Turks+C , San Juan , US Virgin Island )

We are both 30 years old and enjoy travel. We will save up and then spend it on travel (have been to Australia, Asia , Tanzania Safari followed by Zanzibar in Africa , Bora Bora , USA multiple times as well as all over Europe).

My take on the two cruises from what I have read ( PLEASE feel free to correct me):

Glory - Extra stop , Cheapest , 4.5* rated ship on CC.

Getaway - New/trendy ship. "Cool Miami Vibe" would suit us with the choice of restaurants and flexible dining. Seems to get fairly positive reviews. some concerns over the outside areas being crowded on at sea days. 4.5* rating on CC.

Given the prices and that we are looking for a balcony room , our ages etc does anyone have any advice on which cruise to go for out of these 2????

( I am also considering Oasis but it is more $$$ )

Thanks

Weebobby !!!

Edited by weebobby

I have never sailed NCL so I can't comment on that, but we just got off of the Glory and loved it. We did the itinerary with Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, San Juan & St. Thomas. We picked the cruise because of the ports, but loved the ship. It was just DH and I traveling but we loved the atmosphere on the Glory and we always had plenty to do. The ports were fantastic....I would go to everyone of them again without hesitation!

• 2 weeks later...
hi

went for getaway in the end as the price fell to $900 each for a balcony with free drinks package

You won't regret it, she's a beauty. There is a lot of controversy about some recent fees added. They mostly affect the "pay for" dining and room service.

Ok, so we are Carnival people but we saw the Getaway (NCL) on our cruise and wow it looks awesome. We were booking that but then I saw the Glory would cost us a lot less and has ports we like better...but it is seriously lacking in the waterslide area...my kids are spoiled by the breeze.

What do you guys think? Better ship or better ports. My mom has never cruised before and we are taking her so I want to make it good!

I have sailed the Liberty which is very similar to the Glory and I have sailed the NCL Getaway. I have also sailed the Breeze as well.

Getaway for sure, especially if you have kids.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

Hi all !

I have been looking at cruises for a few weeks now .

I liked the look of the cruise from Carnival Liberty out of San Juan for June 28th which is a great price but couldn't seem to get flights to match out of Belfast/Dublin down to San Juan. Its a great itinerary with only one sea day and some nice islands like St.Lucia and Barbados. We want a stop over somewhere on the East Coast for a few days eg Miami/NYC as we are big fans of the USA!

However, I can get very cheap $600 flights (we have $100 flight credit to use on United after being heavily delayed last year) out of Belfast down to Fort Lauderdale from June 23rd to July 4th. I have been to F.Lauderdale and Miami last year so am familiar with the area. Will probably stay somewhere in Miami Beach - there are some great prices on hotels (23rd-27th) with Como / Fontainbleau / Edition / Thompson @ $175 per night.

I have been looking at various websites/agents - have found Sandy at VivaVoyages very nice (all US agents are allowed to sell carnival and Norweigian cruises to people in Europe but RCL seem to only allow a limited number such as Sandy )

The best prices at the moment for a balcony room departing June 27th to July 4th seem to be approx:

$1200pp Getaway - ( 3- Nassau , US Virgin is, British Virgin is)

$1000pp Glory - (4- Half Moon cay , Turks+C , San Juan , US Virgin Island )

We are both 30 years old and enjoy travel. We will save up and then spend it on travel (have been to Australia, Asia , Tanzania Safari followed by Zanzibar in Africa , Bora Bora , USA multiple times as well as all over Europe).

My take on the two cruises from what I have read ( PLEASE feel free to correct me):

Glory - Extra stop , Cheapest , 4.5* rated ship on CC.

Getaway - New/trendy ship. "Cool Miami Vibe" would suit us with the choice of restaurants and flexible dining. Seems to get fairly positive reviews. some concerns over the outside areas being crowded on at sea days. 4.5* rating on CC.

Given the prices and that we are looking for a balcony room , our ages etc does anyone have any advice on which cruise to go for out of these 2????

( I am also considering Oasis but it is more $$$ )

Thanks

Weebobby !!!

RCL is absolutely BEYOND outrageous for cruises. I wouldn't even consider the Oasis at the going rate!!!!

Hi all,

for me based in the UK the Oasis was coming out at double the price at $1800 each on Oasis vs $1800 for 2 on Getaway! Glory was a bit more than Getaway.

I see mentions of recent changes to NCL but at the end of the day for me $900 each for a balcony cabin that includes my meals and all you can drink beverage package seemed a no brainer. admittedly one needs to learn what is and isn't included in the drinks package and with regards to food we will probably eat 3 nights in the specialty restaurants and eat in all the other "free" restaurants the rest of the time. For example the likes of the Chinese restaurant that was previously paid for is now a free dining venue at night.

Getaway looks great. But I worry about all the nickel and diming NCL does.

All cruise lines nickel and dime you, that's the new money makers. But it's up to the passengers to decide the outcome of those charges, they are not automatic. ;)

Getaway looks great. But I worry about all the nickel and diming NCL does.

I don't recall any more nickel and diming on NCL than I experienced on Carnival. Actually I hardly heard any of the near constant sales pitches over the PA system like I hear on Carnvial.

Too many recent NCL changes for me to cruise with them... :mad:

If its the ban on bringing food back to the cabins, they reversed it. Its nice to see that they listen.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-information/message-norwegians-president-andy-stuart?stop_mobi=yes

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

I'll be on the Glory in October and the Getaway in June of 2016 so I'll let you know!

Edited by TennesseeTater