Tropical Storm Bertha

Fla Senior

I have paid in full for our October 12th cruise on the Magic from Galveston Texas. Can I now get travel insurance for this cruise? Will it cost me more since it was not puchased at the time I booked and paid for my cruise? Is this insurance purchased from Carnival? What can I expect to pay for the 2 of us that have an inside stateroom?

You can still get it. You do not have to purchase through Carnival. Other companies are cheaper. Got to squaremouth dot com, or insuremytrip dot com to compare policies

This just in from the US Coast Guard in San Juan:

Captain of the Port sets Port Condition X-RAY in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — Coast Guard Captain of the Port San Juan set Port Condition X-RAY at 9a.m. Friday for all the ports in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico due to incoming Tropical Storm Bertha.

During Port Condition X-RAY all maritime operations including waterfront facility and vessel transits may occur until further notice and are subject to prudent seamanship and safe working practices.

Inbound vessels that will be unable to depart if Port Condition YANKEE is set, are advised to seek an alternate destination. Container terminal operators shall reduce container stack heights to no more than three high, or propose alternate securing arrangements to the Captain of the Port. The Captain of the Port may require additional precautions to ensure the safety of the ports and waterways.

The Captain of the Port anticipates that the port condition may be increased to YANKEE in the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico within the next five hours if the track for Tropical Storm Bertha remains as forecasted.

Pleasure craft operators are advised to seek safe harbor. Owners of larger boats are urged to move their boats to inland marinas where they will be less vulnerable to breaking free of their moorings or sustaining damage. Trailer able boats should be pulled from the water and stored in a place that is not prone to flooding. Those who are leaving their boats in the water are reminded to secure life rings, lifejackets and small boats. These items, if not secured properly, can break free and require valuable search and rescue resources be diverted and precluded from assisting people who may actually be in distress.

Waterfront facilities should be removing potential flying debris, hazardous materials and pollutants from dockside areas.

"WARNING"

Ports, facilities and operators should anticipate additional restrictions on inbound and outbound traffic as Tropical Storm Bertha approaches.

Mariners should prepare for impending severe weather prior to the anticipated arrival of gale force winds or when an evacuation is in progress.

Owners and operators of recreational vessels should follow small craft advisories from the National Weather Service and take the necessary measures to safeguard the safety of their vessels, http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

One part of the travel insurance is also for cruise delays. I pulled my policy earlier to verify that.

It covers $500 for trip delay.

Trip interruption or trip cancellation cover up to 100% of airfare.

So how does it work? Do you have to pay for everything and then they reimburse you at a later date?

Playa Cofi - My daughter will be travelling with my in-laws (her birthday gift) on the Carnival Conquest. They are supposed to arrive in San Juan on August 7. I imagine by that date Bertha will be completely gone, but I'm not sure if the ship would be re-routed since they are supposed to be in the Bahamas (Aug 4) and St. Thomas (Aug. 6). Thanks for any info.

Edited by Debbierpof

While it is wise b=to be every vigilant, rest assured the cruise lines are watching this closely.

Based on the latest tracks and forecasts, it's not going to get above TS strength. Wind shear is chewing into it at present and by the time wind shear lessens the storm will be over the Puerto Rican mountains. Then it starts to turn NE. So early Saturday in San Juan and on Sunday in Grand Turk and the Bahamas (possibly some lingering in the outer Bahamas early morning) will be the worst times for cruisers. Ships heading into eastern Florida or up or down the East Coast can easily by pass the storm, it's not that large in size. Have enjoyable cruises. :)

Playa Cofi - My daughter will be travelling with my in-laws (her birthday gift) on the Carnival Conquest. They are supposed to arrive in San Juan on August 7. I imagine by that date Bertha will be completely gone, but I'm not sure if the ship would be re-routed since they are supposed to be in the Bahamas (Aug 4) and St. Thomas (Aug. 6). Thanks for any info.

They should be fine.

While it is wise b=to be every vigilant, rest assured the cruise lines are watching this closely.

Based on the latest tracks and forecasts, it's not going to get above TS strength. Wind shear is chewing into it at present and by the time wind shear lessens the storm will be over the Puerto Rican mountains. Then it starts to turn NE. So early Saturday in San Juan and on Sunday in Grand Turk and the Bahamas (possibly some lingering in the outer Bahamas early morning) will be the worst times for cruisers. Ships heading into eastern Florida or up or down the East Coast can easily by pass the storm, it's not that large in size. Have enjoyable cruises. :)

You are correct. It will be a TS or less and the worst time for San Juan will be tomorrow through Monday.

Tell me the name of the cruise line, ship name and scheduled departure.

I can look and see where there ships are and see if they are going to make it into San Juan before they close the port.

Playa Cofi, My cruise leaves this coming Monday the 4th from Florida and it will arrive at Nassaue on Tuesday. Will I have a problem?

Im worried :-(

Playa Cofi, My cruise leaves this coming Monday the 4th from Florida and it will arrive at Nassaue on Tuesday. Will I have a problem?

Im worried :-(

Bertha is expected to be east of Nassau around 8am Monday morning. Keep in mind you will be crossing the Gulf Stream to get there so that is a tough call. The Gulf Stream can kick up to 10' or higher just on a plain ole windy day.

Certainly whatever cruise line you will take will take every caution but they also do not want 2,000 passengers getting seasick on their first day out. They may opt to stay in port an extra day.

That really is a tough call. I know weather like the back of my hand. Cruise ship policies I don't, as far as what sea conditions they will travel in.

What line and ship are you going on?

Bertha is expected to be east of Nassau around 8am Monday morning. Keep in mind you will be crossing the Gulf Stream to get there so that is a tough call. The Gulf Stream can kick up to 10' or higher just on a plain ole windy day.

Certainly whatever cruise line you will take will take every caution but they also do not want 2,000 passengers getting seasick on their first day out. They may opt to stay in port an extra day.

That really is a tough call. I know weather like the back of my hand. Cruise ship policies I don't, as far as what sea conditions they will travel in.

What line and ship are you going on?

Im going on the Enchantment of the Seas RC

Tell me the name of the cruise line, ship name and scheduled departure.

I can look and see where there ships are and see if they are going to make it into San Juan before they close the port.

Scheduled to head out Sunday on the Carnival Valor. Also of concern is flights into San Juan.

Im going on the Enchantment of the Seas RC

Enchantment of the Seas just literally about 10 minutes ago left the port of Canaveral and it says it is headed for Nassau which I would have never thought would happen. I guess they must be arriving prior to Bertha getting into the area.

Weather Alert - Tropical Storm Bertha Update

TopWeather Alert - Tropical Storm Bertha Update

Tropical Storm Bertha Update

August 1, 2014 – 5:00pm

We continue to closely monitor the track of Tropical Storm Bertha in the Caribbean and the following itinerary revisions are necessary in order to operate at a safe distance from the storm:

Carnival Liberty, departure Friday 8/1/14 – will now cancel the call in Grand Turk on Sunday and replace it with a call in Nassau on Friday. Additionally, we have modified the sequence and times of our visits to San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten, which will allow us to operate away from the storm and provide guests with a more enjoyable time ashore.

Carnival Valor, departure Sunday 8/3/14 – there is a possibility the ship’s arrival into San Juan may be delayed should the Port of San Juan be closed. We ask guests to text CCL1 to CRUISE (278473) and continue to check this page for updates.

At this time, all other Carnival ships sailing this weekend are operating their scheduled itineraries.

Rest assured, the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We will operate our ships at a safe distance from the storm at all times.

We will provide another update at 12PM (Noon) EST on Saturday 8/2/14. However, should we need to make any interim changes, we will post them on this page.

We continue to closely monitor the track of Tropical Storm Bertha in the Caribbean and the following itinerary revisions are necessary in order to operate at a safe distance from the storm:

Carnival Liberty, departure Friday 8/1/14 – will now cancel the call in Grand Turk on Sunday and replace it with a call in Nassau on Friday. Additionally, we have modified the sequence and times of our visits to San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten, which will allow us to operate away from the storm and provide guests with a more enjoyable time ashore.

Carnival Valor, departure Sunday 8/3/14 – there is a possibility the ship’s arrival into San Juan may be delayed should the Port of San Juan be closed. We ask guests to text CCL1 to CRUISE (278473) and continue to check this page for updates.

At this time, all other Carnival ships sailing this weekend are operating their scheduled itineraries.

Rest assured, the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We will operate our ships at a safe distance from the storm at all times.

We will provide another update at 12PM (Noon) EST on Saturday 8/2/14. However, should we need to make any interim changes, we will post them on this page.

Weather Alert - Tropical Storm Bertha Update

TopWeather Alert - Tropical Storm Bertha Update

I love hurricane season. People posting the exact same notices from Carnival hours after each other. :rolleyes:

I live down here so I can tell you that any ship planning to leave San Juan this Saturday or Sunday will be delayed.

We are expected to start feeling the winds from Bertha later tonight and into the morning so San Juan will experience TS conditions at least through Monday.

That being said the sea conditions are going to be crappy at least until late Monday into Tuesday.

That being said I have no clue under what conditions cruise ships sail under. For example, I live on a island 8 miles off of the east coast of Puerto Rico. Our transportation needs are met by passenger ferries and 8 passenger planes. Our ferries do not run if the sea conditions get over 8-9'. There is already talk that they may be running the ferries over to San Juan this afternoon, which is their hurricane hole.

This could all change if Bertha strengthens or diminishes. Just keep an eye on the weather channel.

BTW for all those cruising out of San Juan this weekend. Now is the time to kick yourself in the butt if you did not buy travel insurance.

please stay safe!!!

Any thoughts on what the sailing conditions might be like for Pride sailing tomorrow down south toward FL from Baltimore on Mon. and Tues.?

Based on current predicitions, you will be fine. Ship does not reach the Atlantic until late Sunday/early Monday and will more than likely ride the coastline down to Port Canaveral. You should be far enough away from main route to feel any real impact. It may not be a smooth as glass sailing, but you won't be bouncing from one wall to the other either.