Carnival Mastercard Help

I am currently booked on a Princess cruise. I was wondering, if I was to make a payment towards my Princess cruise of say $200 with my Carnival Mastercard, could I then use 10,000 of my points to go on my credit card bill.

I am not paying the whole cruise with the credit card, just a payment. Never done this before and not sure how it works.

There are much more flexible and benefit-rich credit cards out there than the Carnival card for earning and redeeming. I'm not promoting either; just want to make you aware that there are other options that provide better benefits. Two that come to mind immediately are:

- Chase Sapphire Preferred

- Barclays Arrival Plus

Chase Sapphire Preferred

- 2x points on travel and dining

- Points can be transferred to various airlines and hotels

- Points can be used to pay for travel directly (1 point ~= $0.01)

- Free travel insurance (including primary rental car insurance)

- No foreign transaction fees

- No annual fee for first year, can downgrade to no fee version after

Barclays Arrival Plus

- 2x points on everything

- Points used directly for travel (1 point ~= $0.01)

- 10% rebate when redeeming points

- No annual fee for first year

Sounds kinda ify because it's a Princess Cruise.

Here is everything you can redeem your points on,

You can redeem your "FunPoints" for statement credits toward travel on Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, and The Yachts of Seabourn or for statement credits for hotel stays and airfare. You may also redeem for Carnival onboard gifts and amenities, merchandise, or gift cards to your favorite restaurants and retailers.

There are much more flexible and benefit-rich credit cards out there than the Carnival card for earning and redeeming. I'm not promoting either; just want to make you aware that there are other options that provide better benefits. Two that come to mind immediately are:

- Barclays Arrival Plus

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Barclays Arrival Plus

I know but I happen to have the Carnival Mastercard.

Here is everything you can redeem your points on,

You can redeem your "FunPoints" for statement credits toward travel on Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Costa Cruises, Cunard Line, and The Yachts of Seabourn or for statement credits for hotel stays and airfare. You may also redeem for Carnival onboard gifts and amenities, merchandise, or gift cards to your favorite restaurants and retailers.

Thank you! That is what I thought. I was just wondering if I had to pay for whole cruise or if I could make a partial payment with my CMC.

Thank you! That is what I thought. I was just wondering if I had to pay for whole cruise or if I could make a partial payment with my CMC.

You should be able to get a statement credit for the Princess payment made on your FunPoints MC. Princess cruise fare counts as a "qualified purchase" for points redemption, so a partial payment on fare should count. I would check with Barclays, though. It may take a while to get bumped up the line til you get someone there who knows what you're talking about, though.:rolleyes: Good luck.

Keep in mind: the redemption rate for the cruise lines other than Carnival is not as good as Carnival rates (it will cost more FunPoints to get the same $ amount of credit/refund). But if you don't cruise Carnival, it's definitely a good use of your FunPoints.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ready2cruzagain viewpost.gif

You should be able to get a statement credit for the Princess payment made on your FunPoints MC. Princess cruise fare counts as a "qualified purchase" for points redemption, so a partial payment on fare should count. I would check with Barclays, though. It may take a while to get bumped up the line til you get someone there who knows what you're talking about, though.:rolleyes: Good luck.

Keep in mind: the redemption rate for the cruise lines other than Carnival is not as good as Carnival rates (it will cost more FunPoints to get the same $ amount of credit/refund). But if you don't cruise Carnival, it's definitely a good use of your FunPoints.:)

As ShakyBeef pointed out above, you get a lower redemption rate for your points on non-carnival purchases, airline, hotel & other travel charges. If you plan on any Carnival purchases in the future, I would just wait to redeem your points for the Carnival purchase and get more value from them as a account credit.

Your Points expire 5 years from accumulation.

Each charge (or payment) will appear as a separate transaction eligible for a partial or full redemption.

The eligible charges I believe are available for redemption up to 6 months? If anyone else can verify that.....?

I try to allow my points to accumulate and take the 10,000/$100 redemption off one of my Carnival charges from the past 6 months.

Edited by wiskt

As ShakyBeef pointed out above, you get a lower redemption rate for your points on non-carnival purchases, airline, hotel & other travel charges. If you plan on any Carnival purchases in the future, I would just wait to redeem your points for the Carnival purchase and get more value from them as a account credit.

Your Points expire 5 years from accumulation.

Each charge (or payment) will appear as a separate transaction eligible for a partial or full redemption.

The eligible charges I believe are available for redemption up to 6 months? If anyone else can verify that.....?

I try to allow my points to accumulate and take the 10,000/$100 redemption off one of my Carnival charges from the past 6 months.

According to the redemption site I can redeem 10,000 points for $100 credit on a Princess cruise, which is what I am wanting to do.

My other question would be, since I booked through a TA, wouldn't it show the payment to the TA and not Princess or do I just need to put in the booking number.

- Barclays Arrival Plus

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Barclays Arrival Plus

Was that the question that the OP asked?????

Just trying to be helpful and merely pointing out that in the future, spending on the Carnival credit card doesn't make a whole lot of sense as you can get much more value from other products.

I'm not the only one who thinks this way as well: Link

Edited by bgh10788

Just trying to be helpful and merely pointing out that in the future, spending on the Carnival credit card doesn't make a whole lot of sense as you can get much more value from other products.

I'm not the only one who thinks this way as well: Link

Yes, I agree that there are cards that have more value, and I have a couple of them.

However, it still is not answering the OP's question!

Yes, I agree that there are cards that have more value, and I have a couple of them.

However, it still is not answering the OP's question!

Neither do these two comments. I've been a long time lurker and just trying to contribute. I guess I'll just go back to lurking. I can see why people are disappointed and frustrated with the toxic nature of these boards.

Neither do these two comments. I've been a long time lurker and just trying to contribute. I guess I'll just go back to lurking. I can see why people are disappointed and frustrated with the toxic nature of these boards.

No need to go back to lurker. But perhaps stick with the question that was asked.

If the OP had asked "which rewards card is best?" then your info is pertinent and helpful. However, they were looking for help with something specific to the Carnival MC, so your response is not really applicable nor very helpful.

Just my .02

No need to go back to lurker. But perhaps stick with the question that was asked.

If the OP had asked "which rewards card is best?" then your info is pertinent and helpful. However, they were looking for help with something specific to the Carnival MC, so your response is not really applicable nor very helpful.

Just my .02

Thanks, jazm2011.

According to the redemption site I can redeem 10,000 points for $100 credit on a Princess cruise, which is what I am wanting to do.

My other question would be, since I booked through a TA, wouldn't it show the payment to the TA and not Princess or do I just need to put in the booking number.

That would be great if you can get 10,000/$100 for Princess also. Its probably because it is a sister line to Carnival. You should have been eligible for past guest rates with Princess also when booking. You just would not get a CARNIVAL VIFP point for your days sailed.

To answer your question, each time I pulled up my point redemption, there will be a list of any/all charges over the past ???months that are eligible. (ie: cruise related, airfare, hotel.... vacation purchases) I do not recall needing a booking number to enter anywhere. The charges are the charges regardless.

I've never used a TA, I book direct with the cruise line so not sure how the charge will show and calculate your redemption %. If it is listed like a TA charge instead of a direct PRINCESS purchase it should reflect what the points-$$$ calculation would be. Its all automatic under your point redemption.

GOOD LUCK hope you can get the 10,000/$100. :)

That would be great if you can get 10,000/$100 for Princess also. Its probably because it is a sister line to Carnival. You should have been eligible for past guest rates with Princess also when booking. You just would not get a CARNIVAL VIFP point for your days sailed.

To answer your question, each time I pulled up my point redemption, there will be a list of any/all charges over the past ???months that are eligible. (ie: cruise related, airfare, hotel.... vacation purchases) I do not recall needing a booking number to enter anywhere. The charges are the charges regardless.

I've never used a TA, I book direct with the cruise line so not sure how the charge will show and calculate your redemption %. If it is listed like a TA charge instead of a direct PRINCESS purchase it should reflect what the points-$$$ calculation would be. Its all automatic under your point redemption.

GOOD LUCK hope you can get the 10,000/$100. :)

Thanks for the information! I am booked through a TA so was wondering how that would work. I understand now about the list of eligible items, did some more reading. Hoping it would be the same points for booking with a TA as it would for booking direct.

I am going to put $200 toward the cruise today just to see if it shows up right. If nothing else, at least I paid another $200 towards the cruise lol.

As far as past guest rates go, I have previously sailed Princess so already have a past guest number.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Thanks for the information! I am booked through a TA so was wondering how that would work. I understand now about the list of eligible items, did some more reading. Hoping it would be the same points for booking with a TA as it would for booking direct.

I am going to put $200 toward the cruise today just to see if it shows up right. If nothing else, at least I paid another $200 towards the cruise lol.

As far as past guest rates go, I have previously sailed Princess so already have a past guest number.

I redeemed for a $50 statement credit just now off a cruise I booked last week for my dad. :p Definitely check how that shows up. If it happens to show less (% to $), I wonder if you could process the remainder of your balance directly to the cruise-line via their website? Then they should definitely reflect as a PRINCESS transaction.

Edited by wiskt

I redeemed for a $50 statement credit just now off a cruise I booked last week for my dad. :p Definitely check how that shows up. If it happens to show less (% to $), I wonder if you could process the remainder of your balance directly to the cruise-line via their website? Then they should definitely reflect as a PRINCESS transaction.

Well it worked. Made a payment with TA and it showed up on my statement as Princess Cruise and dollar per dollar the credit for Princess is the same for Carnival. Yay!

Well it worked. Made a payment with TA and it showed up on my statement as Princess Cruise and dollar per dollar the credit for Princess is the same for Carnival. Yay!

That's excellent!:D Hooray! I wonder when they started offering the same redemption rate for Princess? And if it is the same for Hal? This could be very good news for future free cruises for us.

That's excellent!:D Hooray! I wonder when they started offering the same redemption rate for Princess? And if it is the same for Hal? This could be very good news for future free cruises for us.

It showed it being the same for Holland also. On the barclays website when you check how many points to pay for my cruise, it showed 7,500pts is $75, 10,000 pts is $100 and 12,500 pts is $125.

It showed it being the same for Holland also. On the barclays website when you check how many points to pay for my cruise, it showed 7,500pts is $75, 10,000 pts is $100 and 12,500 pts is $125.

That's great!:D It used to calculate higher for the lines other than Carnival. I can't remember how much higher, I once played with the calculator for a while and then wrote them all down. All the other lines were the same rate as each other, but 'more expensive' (in FunPoints) than Carnival. I am so glad to hear they're the same now! It looks like in the future, DH and I won't feel like we have to cruise Carnival for our free cruises. I've always wanted to try Princess and HAL.

Oh, darn.:( It looks like we're talking about two different things. What I was talking about - the "How many FunPoints will I need to pay for my cruise?" calculator - still shows the different rate for the other cruiselines.

For example, if I plug in $2,500 as the cruise price the FunPoints price for Carnival is 166,667. But for Princess, HAL, Cunard, etc., the FunPoints price for $2,500 comes up as 250,000.

I guess at lower amounts such as $100, they all come out the same. But the cruiselines other than Carnival don't seem to get to those better redemption rate tiers that Carnival does.:(

So I guess I'll still be taking my free cruises on Carnival, to get the most 'mileage' out of my FunPoints. When I do get around to cruising Princess, I guess I'll just pay for it with "real money" instead of FunPoints.:o