Skipping nassau on allure

Even though I am not a huge fan of the Bahamas, I would be quite upset if I missed out on it on an upcoming cruise.

For some people, visiting the Caribbean and/or Bahamas is a lifetime aspiration - it's something a lot of people work for. Also, I regularly hear something like "If it's good enough for the celebrities, there has to be something there worth going for."

I try and use this mentality every time I go on vacation / get off the ship in certain ports. We are very lucky really.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone know what the port fee in Nassau is? Just curious!

This is just a guess. My 2 night Oasis cruise will make one stop, and it's in Nassau. Taxes (based on $509pp) and port fees come to $88. I subtracted the approximately FL tax (I used 7.5%) and came up with $50 for port fees. Sounds a little high, so I am probably missing something in the equation. :o

This is just a guess. My 2 night Oasis cruise will make one stop, and it's in Nassau. Taxes (based on $509pp) and port fees come to $88. I subtracted the approximately FL tax (I used 7.5%) and came up with $50 for port fees. Sounds a little high, so I am probably missing something in the equation. :o

Port fees and taxes are the same for every person regardless of what you paid pp.

You will find that the port fees and taxes are higher for Miami, Ft. Lauderdale than they are for the islands.

The only one that I know for sure is Labadee at $10pp.

Does anyone know what the port fee in Nassau is? Just curious!

We missed Nassau a couple of years ago. I believe we got back somewhere around $10 - $15 Maybe not even that much. I just remember thinking that it was not as much as I thought it would be

I agree also. We've never been to Nassau on our 5 cruises and would be disappointed if we missed it on our November 29 Oasis cruise. I've read lots of negative comments on Nassau on here. I guess we will be the judge of that in November. Not many people like Jamaica either but we love it.

And I agree with you. I always enjoy returning to both Nassau and Jamaica.

We missed Nassau a couple of years ago. I believe we got back somewhere around $10 - $15 Maybe not even that much. I just remember thinking that it was not as much as I thought it would be

That's lower than I thought. ;)

Port fees and taxes are the same for every person regardless of what you paid pp.

You will find that the port fees and taxes are higher for Miami, Ft. Lauderdale than they are for the islands.

The only one that I know for sure is Labadee at $10pp.

I thought that the taxes part was based on the trip cost. Not port fee taxes.:p

I didn't think about the fact that we would be charged port fees for Port Everglades, as well. :rolleyes:

Well, I made a disclaimer that I probably had this wrong. :D At least the OP will get enough back for 1-2 drinks!

Edited by Iamthesea

Over the years, we have missed several scheduled ports. The reason isn't always obvious to us passengers, but I know the decision is usually made for safety reasons, although at times it has been to get back on schedule after a medical emergency caused the ship to turn around. Of course, many people are disappointed, but it is something that must be taken in stride. I have witnessed people berating the Captain at Q&A time because "other ships were there" or "can't we just go to island X instead?" He patiently explains how conditions can change so that it is unsafe to dock or tender when we arrive. He also explained that a ship can't just cruise up to an island & take the nearest "parking spot" ;) There are a lot of regulations involved & a different island cannot always be substituted. I have witnessed people being extremely upset because they had their wedding scheduled during a stop at a particular port or reunions with friends & family. I would never count on a cruise ship as a means of transportation for a special event in a port.

That being said, our port fees & shore excursions booked through RCCL were always promptly refunded to our account

Some would say you "got lucky" by not having to stop in Nassau! :D

I completely agree! I've been to Nassau before staying at a resort, and went in on a cruise for the first time this year, and we honestly wished we had of stayed on the ship. That port area is SO chaotic, not to mention how annoying it is to have to say no to a taxi every two steps.

There were also 6 or 7 ships in port that day, so the authenticity of the town is a bit lost when it's all full of tourists anyways.

I completely agree! I've been to Nassau before staying at a resort, and went in on a cruise for the first time this year, and we honestly wished we had of stayed on the ship. That port area is SO chaotic, not to mention how annoying it is to have to say no to a taxi every two steps.

Yes, found that very annoying even though it's possible to say no thank you and keep on going. Just don't like having to do it. Friend and I did break down and agree to a tour. The tour was bizarre and a bit scary so it's something I would not do again.

There were also 6 or 7 ships in port that day, so the authenticity of the town is a bit lost when it's all full of tourists anyways.

But wait, aren't you one of those tourists helping to make it full?:D

Edited by iheartbda

And this is limited to Nassau? St. Thomas and St. Maarten can easily have 15,000 people or more "dropped off" for a few hours during any given day.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I've stayed in Caribbean resorts when the ships come in and it's bloody h&$l. Seemingly out of no where hoards of vacationers with 3 hours to do everything fill up every bar stool and beach chair. Scary. Stay on the ship. Next vacation go to the Virgin Islands and stay there for a week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I enjoy Nassau, but Allure's time in port is so short it is difficult to enjoy any of the good things (Cable Beach, Atlantis for those interested, etc etc). We enjoy going to Cable Beach, but plan to stay on the ship for our upcoming cruise since we are only in port from 7am to 2pm. :rolleyes:

Yes, found that very annoying even though it's possible to say no thank you and keep on going. Just don't like having to do it. Friend and I did break down and agree to a tour. The tour was bizarre and a bit scary so it's something I would not do again.

But wait, aren't you one of those tourists helping to make it full?:D

Oh most definitely! With other parts of the world though, it's easy to walk off the ship into town and see what it's really like with locals around town too. That just didn't seem to be the way in Nassau!

I worked for a cruise line and have spent lots of time wandering new ports and countries and experiencing them first hand not as part of an organized tour/excursion, something I still do to this day.

And this is limited to Nassau? St. Thomas and St. Maarten can easily have 15,000 people or more "dropped off" for a few hours during any given day.

I was just referring to the day I was in Nassau personally. We didn't stop at St. Thomas or St. Maarten during that itinerary and having not traveled there yet myself, I can't comment. Although being common stops in most itineraries, I'm sure they all face the same thing. Again, not something I can comment on from personal experience.

I agree also. We've never been to Nassau on our 5 cruises and would be disappointed if we missed it on our November 29 Oasis cruise. I've read lots of negative comments on Nassau on here. I guess we will be the judge of that in November. Not many people like Jamaica either but we love it.

Nassau is ok, especially if you haven't been there, but IMO, the time alloted there on Oasis/Allure is less than a half day. When fuel prices are down, RC will extend the stay an hour, but 5 hours really isn't much time to do most things there. (FYI, I've been there 5 times on 3 different ships) For those of you who use Royal Carribean excursions I remember being annoyed on my 2013 Allure cruise because a full 75% of excursions were Atlantis related, and 5 hours really isn't time for much at Atlantis. I did finally go to Atlantis on my 2013 Majesty cruise where we were there almost a full 12 hours. It was off season and the full day waterpark excursion was only around $80. Now I can say been there done that.

Going on Allure at the end of the month. We will be staying on the ship....we hope lots of people will get off so the ship will be nice and empty.

We also plan on staying on the ship in St. Thomas.

You can get good spa specials on the port days. We spent our 30th anniverary aboard Allure @ Nassau and got a couples massage about $50 below the online price.

Edited by BillOh

Definition Of Nassau

Complete waste of time and money. Not enough time to do anything worthwhile while in port, I really wish RCCL would consider changing their itineraries and visit Coco Cay or Labadee, instead of this port. Don't get me wrong, great port if you have the time to do something worthwhile, otherwise a WASTE.

Waiting to board Allure and was just informed we are skipping nassau due to tropical storm Bertha. Does royal refund port fees when this happens?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We LOVE Nassau.

And have stopped there many, many times.

We love strolling through the streets and visiting the Market. Stopping at Senor Frogs for lunch.

Better safe then sorry!!

I will agree St Maarten & St Thomas are prettier ports. But there are people that LOVE Nassau! Just a matter of opinion.

Definition Of Nassau

Complete waste of time and money. Not enough time to do anything worthwhile while in port' date=' I really wish RCCL would consider changing their itineraries and visit Coco Cay or Labadee, instead of this port. Don't get me wrong, great port if you have the time to do something worthwhile, otherwise a WASTE.[/quote']

Some of us don't like being coralled up on Coco Cay or Labadee. If you don't particularly want to go to the beach those stops could be considered a waste too.