Winter walking shoes for Christmas market cruise

angelle

I am looking for suggestion on waterproof winter footwear for our danbue river cruise at the end of November. I am bringing my 16 year old daughter , we want cute comfortable shoes. I'm sure we will be doing lots of walking. We will travel on viking idun from Budapest to Nuremberg , and will spend 2 extra nights in Nuremberg. We will see the Christmas markets.

You can find very good waterproof shoes/boots by Timberland. I have a couple of those and I survive the icy cold and wet German winter. :D

Sorel also have some cute looking shoes…. at least their logo with the polar bear looks cute. ;)

I have a pair of Paul Green boots that may be the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. They are beautifully made (German), and as they are European shoes the toe box is a bit wider, which makes them dramatically more comfortable for walking.

There are other choices at places like The Walking Store. Maybe check out what is comfortable for you foot, as we all have different needs.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. I will be ordering several pairs of walking waterproof shoes, hiking shoes and waterproof boots from amazon. I will try them at home and return what doesn't work:)

These are the shoes I ordered from amazon to try: Keen Chester Boot, Merrell Azura hiking shoe, Teva Figueroa W/P Boot, Merrell Captiva Launch W/P Boot, Clark's Wave Trail GTX sneaker, Baretraps Launch Boot

These are the shoes I ordered from amazon to try: Keen Chester Boot, Merrell Azura hiking shoe, Teva Figueroa W/P Boot, Merrell Captiva Launch W/P Boot, Clark's Wave Trail GTX sneaker, Baretraps Launch Boot

I took a Tauck Christmas market river cruise on the Danube last December from Vienna to Nuremberg and was in the market for waterproof walking shoes just like you. But I didn't want anything bulky or heavy, no boots or even booties. I ordered and tried a few different brands from Zappos because they don't charge for shipping or returns. I ended up buying 2 pair of Merrell's Siren Sport waterproof hiking shoes, one in black and one in brown. They were very lightweight, comfortable and served my purposes perfectly. I got lots of complements on how cute they are too:

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-siren-2-sport-wtpf-merrell-stone-blue

KK

I took a Tauck Christmas market river cruise on the Danube last December from Vienna to Nuremberg and was in the market for waterproof walking shoes just like you. But I didn't want anything bulky or heavy, no boots or even booties. I ordered and tried a few different brands from Zappos because they don't charge for shipping or returns. I ended up buying 2 pair of Merrell's Siren Sport waterproof hiking shoes, one in black and one in brown. They were very lightweight, comfortable and served my purposes perfectly. I got lots of complements on how cute they are too:

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-siren-2-sport-wtpf-merrell-stone-blue

KK

Thanks KK, I think the merrell I ordered are very similar.

As someone else said .. everyone's foot is different. The foot bed on Merrill does not fit me but there is a new (to me anyway) brand this year called Ahnu and it fits like a glove.

I have been trying to find comfortable walking shoes for SE Asia next month and have settled on a great pair of Clarkes .. but again everyone's foot is different. So if the others aren't quite right, Ahnu is of the same quality and fit differently.

The Siren Sport may not be warm for the Christmas Markets trip. I have them - I bought for my safari trip…

If you want a low boot, I just saw a pair in the new Title Nine catalog that has my heart going. They are called the "Railroad Boot". I think they'd be pretty spiffy for wearing in Europe in the winter!!! I need a new pair of non-Sorel boots to wear around town in the winter - these are calling my name!!!!!

The Siren Sport may not be warm for the Christmas Markets trip. I have them - I bought for my safari trip…

I wore mine with cotton/nylon-blend socks, and despite it being cold and damp outside, my feet were toasty warm. What was really cold on me was my upper thighs. I didn't want to travel with my longer, bulky parka, so I wore a short down jacket instead. Consequently, my upper body was fine, but I should have also packed silk long underwear bottoms and didn't realize until too late. With a hat, scarf and gloves on though, everything else was perfectly comfortable.

KK

I've found that Sofft boots work for me, walked 10 to 12 hours a day in them in Europe last December, & then again in May, had lots of rain on both trips, kept me dry & comfy. This brand uses a pretty good quality of leather, I saddle soaped both pairs before I left, which I think helped with the rain.

edit to add: The christmas markets were spectacular! enjoy!

Edited by cruise kitty

Some of my shoes came in today, I had fun trying them on. Most of them would work. Keep in mind these were all @ $60 or less, real bargains. I am keeping the keen Chester boot...it is light weight, comfortable short and warm. I am keeping the merrell launch boot, it's so comfortable, not lined...I love it!!! I'm returning the teva Figueroa boot...it is very comfortable, but it is fully fleeced lined....I think it may be too warm. I will exchange the merrell Azura hiking shoe...it was a little big.

I wore mine with cotton/nylon-blend socks, and despite it being cold and damp outside, my feet were toasty warm. What was really cold on me was my upper thighs. I didn't want to travel with my longer, bulky parka, so I wore a short down jacket instead. Consequently, my upper body was fine, but I should have also packed silk long underwear bottoms and didn't realize until too late. With a hat, scarf and gloves on though, everything else was perfectly comfortable.

KK

I lived over there for 6 Christmases and went to markets from Nurenburg to Rome. Good fitting ankle high boots are still very popular especially in Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. I have brown suede and black smooth leather Easy Spirits I wore to several you just need to waterproof the suede.

I totally agree about totally freezing my butt off especially on weekend volkesmarches. Either take a longer parka or a car coat and layer. Silk long underwear is fantastic and takes little suitcase room and can be hand washed and dry almost overnight. I would also get silk sock liners just in case it gets really cold. They also help prevent blisters. Same with glove liners if you only want to take cute bright knit gloves or mittens and add a pull down knit hat. These days I would wear my tall UGGs and use regular walking shoes with socks if its a warmer, drier early winter.

You must try the gluewein at at least one market. Your daughter is old enough to be served with you and spiced wine is not very high in alcohol. Then get potato pancakes with apple sauce and Nurenburger bratwurst before buying all those great ornaments. Do check for the where made label except for straw items that haven't been made in Europe since WW2. Enjoy!

Edited by NorthernLite