Questions about drinking age?

I know the drinking age in the US is 21. I know that in some countries the age is lower. How does it work on a cruise ship? Specifically, I am wondering about the NOS sailing out of Galveston? Having only been on one cruise, I never needed to give it any thought but now DD is asking and I do not have the answers.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Specifically, I am looking at the 6/7/2015 sailing.

Thanks in advance.

I know the drinking age in the US is 21. I know that in some countries the age is lower. How does it work on a cruise ship? Specifically, I am wondering about the NOS sailing out of Galveston? Having only been on one cruise, I never needed to give it any thought but now DD is asking and I do not have the answers.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Specifically, I am looking at the 6/7/2015 sailing.

Thanks in advance.

Ships sailing out of US ports have a drinking age of 21.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5380

Thanks in advance.

This applied to my son when he sailed with us last yr.. he was 19.. Here in Canada drinking age in our province is 18.. so he was old enough to drink here.. but could not drink while on the cruiseship as drinking age on the ship is 21.. The three ports we stopped at had drinking age of 18 so he was able to enjoy a drink while in these ports.. Just be sure to have ID for the person who wants to drink.. they asked my son for ID each time and we did have his passport with us so he was fine.

The question came up because my DD wants to go on a cruise when she graduates high school in June. She wants me to go and she wants a few friends to go as well (their parents will be paying their way). They will all be 18. I just did not know the rules on the ship but knew the rules in port.

The last cruise we took she was only 14, so it was a non-issue.

I now need to find out if an 18 yr old can board without a parent? I am guessing they can since they are of age and will have passports. I just don't know if I want to take them on a cruise or just take them to an AI resort. Only thing about NOS out of Galveston is that there is no airfare needed since we live close to the port.

Whatever I decide, I guess I need to do it quickly. August is already here!

Anyone have any thoughts?

The question came up because my DD wants to go on a cruise when she graduates high school in June. She wants me to go and she wants a few friends to go as well (their parents will be paying their way). They will all be 18. I just did not know the rules on the ship but knew the rules in port.

The last cruise we took she was only 14, so it was a non-issue.

I now need to find out if an 18 yr old can board without a parent? I am guessing they can since they are of age and will have passports. I just don't know if I want to take them on a cruise or just take them to an AI resort. Only thing about NOS out of Galveston is that there is no airfare needed since we live close to the port.

Whatever I decide, I guess I need to do it quickly. August is already here!

Anyone have any thoughts?

My daughter too did HS graduation cruise, out of Venice. No parents at all. 10 18 year olds, 1 17 year old and 2 teachers and a teacher's spouse. No note from Mom or Dad needed. Legal adults. The Drinking age was 18 and so was she. Later that year we did a Bermuda cruise out of Baltimore, the drinking age is 21. She was mighty bummed.

Edited by heyabbott

The rules for sailing originating in North America are different:

From Royal Caribbean Website:

Royal Caribbean International's minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21). The minimum age to sail unaccompanied on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18).

The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age to sail unaccompanied on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

So sailing out of Galveston would require adults to travel with them, and there would need to be at least one over 21 individual in each room with the under 21s.