Baltic Cruise---Connie or Century?

missannb

Sorry I put this message on the Roll Call board by mistake! We are contemplating a Baltic cruise next summer. We have sailed on both of these ships so the differences in the ships is not my concern, but the differences in the itineraries is what I am interested in knowing about. Is it better to cruise from Amsterdam or Dover? We have been to London and Amsterdam. Thanks for your help

I am on the Connie next summer, I chose the July1 date because it includes Lithuania and Poland as well as Germany.I am unaware of whether Helsinki is offered on the Century, My thoughts,hardly important..just personal reasons. I don't think with either ship you can go wrong!I have been to Scandinavia before and I didn't want an overnight Stockholm. I enjoy the idea of 14 days as opposed to 10 or 12. I also think it is easier to arrange non-stop flights into London rather than Amsterdam

We did the Baltic on Century June 2-14.We loved it(especially since we had booked our cruise to do the 9 day Carribean.)We enjoyed the itinerary very much.Still get chills when I think about it.Especially the fact that we went to Russia.Since the Century is planned for drydock and getting new Balconies one of the differences will be gone.

Having just returned from the Baltics on the Century, she'd be getting my vote for this itinerary. There are 2 reasons for my preference of Amsterdam over Dover:

1. Amsterdam is an easy city to get to the pier, whereas it takes what, 2 hours from London to Dover?

2. The airport in AMS is more user-friendly than London.

Are you going in a day earlier? If so, let me know & I'll send you my trip report on things to do in Amsterdam.

Felicia

Having just returned from the Baltics on the Century, she'd be getting my vote for this itinerary. There are 2 reasons for my preference of Amsterdam over Dover:

1. Amsterdam is an easy city to get to the pier, whereas it takes what, 2 hours from London to Dover?

2. The airport in AMS is more user-friendly than London.

Are you going in a day earlier? If so, let me know & I'll send you my trip report on things to do in Amsterdam.

Felicia

Osnab has it right... why go through the pain of Heathrow or Gatwick followed by a 2 hr bus/train ride unless there is something about the Connie that you really want. Flights to London are generally a little less expensive but when you factor in how easy it is to get to the ship in Amsterdam it's a no brainer.

Bot remeber it is an older ship and the trip has less ports! Either way, you will have a great time!

Do you mean Century?

In 12 days,we had 3 sea days &, if you count Amsterdam (embarkation port), we hit 7 ports. That's not "less", IMO.

Felicia

Did the Century cruise into the fjords at Stockholm? On another board, it was mentioned that that is a beautiful part of the Baltic area not to be missed and I am wondering about that part of the Centry itenirary.

Thanks so much for all of your responses. We are stilll pondering our decision, but will definitely be gong on X rather than another cruise line.

Ann

We were booked on Constellation to the Baltic last May.

Then they moved Century from the Caribbean and offered fares almost half that of Constellation for a similar itinerary. We jumped ship!

Instead of a 180 mile, four hour drive to Dover, and paying a fortune to park the car, we got $75 return, 45 minute, flights to Amsterdam from Coventry airport three miles away.

The Century itinerary was two days shorter, but as Constellation has to sail from Dover past Amsterdam en route to the Baltic, we lost out only on sea days, which are not that wonderful in Northern Europe anyway.

At one stage, Century and Constellation sailed side by side. I looked over at Connie, and felt extremely smug at all the money we'd saved.

Did the Century cruise into the fjords at Stockholm? On another board, it was mentioned that that is a beautiful part of the Baltic area not to be missed and I am wondering about that part of the Centry itenirary.

Thanks so much for all of your responses. We are stilll pondering our decision, but will definitely be gong on X rather than another cruise line.

Ann

No fjords on the itinerary I chose, but the one right after mine did go thru a lot of fjords. The difference in my itin and the one with the fjords was there was no overnight in Russia or Denmark. Maybe if you look at the itineraries you're considering and see no o'nights, that will be your clue that you're going thru fjords. To be on the safe side, I'd call Celebrity & ask.

Felicia

At one stage, Century and Constellation sailed side by side. I looked over at Connie, and felt extremely smug at all the money we'd saved.

Did you put your fingers at your ears and wiggle, screaming out "Nah nah nah nah nah!" LOL

Is it really 4 hours from London to Dover? Wow! I thought it was 2, but either way.........

Felicia

We enjoyed the 14-day cruise on the Connie in May even though the 2.5 hour drive (Bollinge was talking bout drive from his home in Coventry) from Heathrow to Dover.

I would have preferred Amsterdam. We wanted a balcony, and even Concierge Class on Century does not have balcony. In our case, we had a good price on the Connie, unlike Bollinge.

Also, note that all sailings do not have the same itinerary on the same ship. We liked the May 21 Connie itinerary. Also, having been on the Infinity before we wanted to stay on a M-Class ship.

We like the M class ships. They are the finest cruise ships that we have ever sailed on. But not worth almost twice the price of what we paid on Century.

And when we waved at Dileep overtaking us in the North Sea, (Constellation - gas turbine engined - is about 10 mph faster than Century - Diesel engined), I think I did do a nah nah na-nah nah!

Our savings paid for our substantial drinks bill. I have no idea of the respective pricing structures for next year's cruises on the two vessels. But X know they can charge a premium for M class ships.

Archived