Price of Celebrity shuttle in Venice?

PaulaW

I am hoping that someone who has cruised recently with Celebrity in Venice can provide the cost of the shuttle into the city. And where does the shuttle drop off its passengers? I am trying to compare my best transportation options while overnighting in Venice. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

I am hoping that someone who has cruised recently with Celebrity in Venice can provide the cost of the shuttle into the city. And where does the shuttle drop off its passengers? I am trying to compare my best transportation options while overnighting in Venice. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

We were there in May, the People Mover is a short walk from the port which takes you into the city. I think it was 1 1/2 Euros per person. They only have ticket machines, make sure you have Euro coins. When you get into the city buy a all day Vaparetto (sp) ticket, it is a Hop on Hop off of the waterways, I think it was around 28 Euros for the day. Celebrity's shuttle drops at St Marks Place only, not sure where pick up is and it costs around the same as the Hop on Hop off. Look at the Italy boards on CC it has great information. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for the information!

i am aware of the People Mover and vaporetto options, but am trying to get an idea of which is more cost effective for us. Using Celebrity's shuttle service or Venice's public transportation.

I appreciate your input!

We were in Venice in July. I cannot remember the cost of the water shuttle provided by Celebrity, but it was a great deal more than the other transport, although the cost was not prohibitive for ease. We chose the People Mover which, if I remember, was 1.30 Euros. You could either get a ticket from the machine or just off the ship there was a kiosk selling odd items where you could buy return tickets for the same price as the machines. The People Mover takes you to the Piazzale Roma and from there you can buy the tickets for the vaparetto as the other poster suggested. We chose to walk in and back which was absolutely lovely looking at all the little squares, canals and architecture. I appreciate this would only be possible for those who are happy with a walk and are able to do so.

We used the Celebrity shuttle back in 2007 and I believe the cost was $20 pp and you could use it back and forth all day for that price. It was more comfortable than the Alilaguna or the Vaporetto.

Here are you options

Celebrity shuttle $20 pp unlimited use all day Goes down the Guidecca Canal

Alilaguna from the port 7 Euros one way, 14 roundtrip

Water taxi to wherever you want to go- 90 Euro base price

People Mover and Vaporetto down the Grand Canal 8 Euros total one way.

We used the Celebrity shuttle back in 2007 and I believe the cost was $20 pp and you could use it back and forth all day for that price. It was more comfortable than the Alilaguna or the Vaporetto.

Here are you options

Celebrity shuttle $20 pp unlimited use all day Goes down the Guidecca Canal

Alilaguna from the port 7 Euros one way, 14 roundtrip

Water taxi to wherever you want to go- 90 Euro base price

People Mover and Vaporetto down the Grand Canal 8 Euros total one way.

If it was $20 7 years ago for the Celebrity shuttle, I'd have to guess it'd be a lot more today. I think the vaporetto pass, which allows you to go all over Venice, up and down the Grand Canal plus out to Murano, Burano, Lido, etc. would be the better value. According to Venice for Visitors: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-vaporetto-and-bus-fare-tables.htm, a 24 hour pass is E20 and a 36 hour pass is E25, so do the math, figure out where you want to go (when in Venice we make one pass by St. Mark's/Doge's Palace and then off to avoid the crowds) and decide which is best for you.

We sailed on the Silhouette on 15th July ending in Venice. Celebrity charge $35 for 2 or $20 per person. We were a family of 4 and paid $70. It was very convenient as it was a short walk from the ship and took us just along from St Marks Square. You can go to and from the ship all day.

We sailed on the Silhouette on 15th July ending in Venice. Celebrity charge $35 for 2 or $20 per person. We were a family of 4 and paid $70. It was very convenient as it was a short walk from the ship and took us just along from St Marks Square. You can go to and from the ship all day.

Those costs sound about right from what we experienced in 2011. You are dropped off about 300-400' to the right of where historic St. Marks and the Doge's Palace are located.

Here is more to get you excited about Venice. I did this earlier posting on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting is now at 40,598 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at over 180,000 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Seems very reasonable for two and it seems like you can charge it to your OBC

Seems very reasonable for two and it seems like you can charge it to your OBC

Yes, charge against your OBC. Plus, buying that shuttle ticket earlier in your cruise gets you on a sooner priority boarding for the shuttle when the ship docks in Venice.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 152,682 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thank you so much! That is exactly the info I was looking for.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

The People mover is barely easier than walking from ship to Piaza Roma. I did both and will walk in future. To see Venice you need to be able to walk and go up and down steps. The best part of Venice was wandering around. IMO a shuttle to San Marco is a mistake. Put walking shoes on and enjoy finding your way.

Sent from my AT100 using Forums mobile app

Get the people mover to the bus station square then walk. Cross the bridge at the opposite end of the bus station square and you will be by the train station. Spend the day strolling the back streets and you will have a wonderful day. You will end up at St Marks square after a brief pit stop for a drink and snack somewhere.

Do the same in reverse or get the water bus back too the train station stop for about €5

We bought the two day pass and went out to the islands on the first day. Back to the ship to change and early dinner then back into Venice to stroll round for the evening - best experience as there were no crowds. Second day we used our pass to get around the city. Lots of information on Toms port guides site. Do check this site out even if you buy the Celebrity package as there's lots of really useful information - written by a cruiser!

Edited by Jenna109

It may be worth looking at where you are docked. The first time in Venice I think we were in Dock 20 and this was about 15-20 minute walk to the people mover whereas the shuttle was going from the bow of the ship if I'd known that I would have taken the shuttle as it was a long walk before you got anywhere. The second time as we were embarking the ship was docked very close to the people mover so that was an easier and cheaper option.

It may be worth looking at where you are docked. The first time in Venice I think we were in Dock 20 and this was about 15-20 minute walk to the people mover whereas the shuttle was going from the bow of the ship if I'd known that I would have taken the shuttle as it was a long walk before you got anywhere. The second time as we were embarking the ship was docked very close to the people mover so that was an easier and cheaper option.

True - this happened to us. It is a fair walk if you have difficulty

Thanks to everyone once again for all of the great information!

Walking is not a problem for us. We are just trying to find the easiest and most economical option.

We will be spending one night pre-cruise in Venice and then the Silhouette also overnights, so we're weighing a 36/48 hour vaporetto pass versus the Celebrity-sponsored shuttle. Perhaps we really won't be able to make that decision until we see where the ship is docked.